PDA

View Full Version : Eating Better

mattiew
03-17-2005, 01:57 PM
OK after the 2+ years since DD was born it is time to really work on my diet and start eating healthy. I've been very bad about grabbing cookies or whatever else is handy (the EMPTY Girl Scout cookie boxes are piling up). Any tips or tricks on how to eat well? What are your favorite meals and snacks?

Thanks!
Carrie

psophia17
03-17-2005, 05:59 PM
The best trick I have is to journal every piece of food that goes into my mouth. I do it using the WW points system, but any journaling is better than none.

My first week I didn't attempt to curb my eating habits at all, and where the WW system allotted me 24-29 points per day, I was eating 50+ per day, mostly in cookies and candy.

HTH :)

egoldber
03-17-2005, 07:30 PM
When I decided to overhaul my eating habits, I needed some serious hand holding. So I used The South Beach Diet. It is perceived as trendy, but its principles are just basic good eating sense:

1) eat lots of vegetables, fruits and lean proteins
2) eat whole grains, not refined grains, and watch portion sizes
3) eat low fat dairy products
4) eat healthy fats like olive oil and avoid saturated fats and trans fats

Its more complex than that, but like I say *I* needed someone to tell me exactly what things to eat when in order to break my cycle of bad eating.

Another thing that was key for me was going through my pantry/refrigerator and getting rid of EVERYTHING that was a temptation to me. If its Girl Scout cookies for you, get rid of them. And then I only bought things that fit in with my meal plans.

Weight Watchers is a fantastic sensible eating plan, but the point counting would personally drive me nuts.

At the same time as I started the SBD, I also started a moderate exercise program of 2-3 days a week at the gym. I have gradually increased that to 5 days a week, but that really isn't necessary.

HTH,

nd93
03-18-2005, 09:53 AM
I would like some good snack ideas. I tend to be an evening muncher. Does anyone have a good recommendation on something that makes an OK snack? Sometimes I'll have a bagel, or toast, lots of carbs! Or maybe I just need to find some willpower and not eat?

psophia17
03-18-2005, 11:48 AM
A rice cake with peanut butter is good - the protein in the PB really helps satisfy cravings.

I also like celery sticks with light cream cheese and raisin...like ants on a white log, I guess. I haven't actually made those in quite a while, because I can't share the celery with DS yet...but I should prep some for after he goes to bed...

To get not eating in the evening willpower, I usually brush my teeth. It doesn't always stop cravings, but it often does, and those times are worth it.

nd93
03-18-2005, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the ideas Petra! I have no problems not snacking in the mornings or during the day, but gosh after 7 I seem to just want to snack. I'm also working on just not having things in the house, then I can't eat them. I love these parmesean bagels - they are a yummy snack. I can't buy them anymore!

wencit
03-18-2005, 05:54 PM
Whenever I'm hungry in the evening, I usually allow myself to eat some fruit or vegetables. (More often than not, I'll choose fruit over veggies, just because I like to have something sweet.) I try to eat something that has some fiber, like an apple or a pear, to help me feel fuller, although I'm not obsessive about it.

I've also been known to snack on:

pretzels
"light" microwave popcorn
yogurt
crackers (I choose Triscuits, which at least have some fiber)
hummus with baby carrots
sugar free Jello

OK, that last one may not be the healthiest choice, but it sure feels indulgent when you're watching what you eat!!! :)

I read somewhere that people often mistake thirst for hunger, so sometimes I drink a glass of water and see if that makes me feel any better before I head to the pantry. As a rule of thumb, I try not to eat anything 2 hours before I go to bed.