PDA

View Full Version : drink green tea - lose weight?

nd93
03-18-2005, 12:36 PM
Ok, I've seen this a few places now (like on Oprah and the local news). Drink green tea instead of coffee, and in 6 weeks you'll lose 10 pounds. Has anyone out there ever done this and lost weight?

psophia17
03-18-2005, 02:25 PM
I haven't tried it, but I think of it this way...

First, green tea is higher in caffeine than coffee is (I think)...after I have it (usually with sushi - yum!), I can't keep still. Second, when I have coffee, I have it with cream and two sugars...when I have green tea, it's just green tea.

If I gave up coffee and replaced it with green tea, yes, I would lose weight, because I'd be more fidgety than from the coffee and because I wouldn't be getting the calories from the cream and sugar...

I can't handle that much caffeine, and I'm not much of a coffee drinker to begin with, so it's not worth it to me to make this change. But if you're a big coffee drinker already, it probably would be worth it.

egoldber
03-18-2005, 05:23 PM
The caffeine in coffee is an appetite stimulant for many people. Coffee is also often served with sugar or milk/cream and tea is not (at least in the US). Coffee also tends to be a beverage that people associate with eating, like dessert. I know that a cup of coffee makes me "hungry" for something sweet.

In general, green tea has far, far less caffeine than a cup of brewed coffee. But tea does have other stimulants that may affect some people like caffeine.

Here's a quick link I found with the caffeine content of various beverages: http://www.republicoftea.com/pages/caffeine.html