PDA

View Full Version : South Beach Diet... Am I in the right place?

kseltmann
04-01-2005, 10:07 PM
I have started phase 1 of the south beach diet again. I was wondering if anyone else is doing it. I kind of need a SBD buddy and maybe even a workout buddy. Someone that might make me feel enough pressure to go to the gym 3 times a week. Should I move this to the lounge? Are you ladies looking for a new member to your group?
Excercize and eating right will cost less than diaper bags and strollers for sure.
Thanks.

Kathryn
Emily 9.24.03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030924/3/4/3/-5/.png[/img][/url]

egoldber
04-02-2005, 10:23 AM
About a year ago there were a ton of us here doing the SBD. If you do an Advanced Search for "south beach" or "sbd" you should get a bunch of threads. Before I got pregnant, I had lost 30 pounds on the SBD and a moderate exercise program over about 6 months. So you CAN do it and it really, really works!!!

Even though I am pregnant and (obviously) not trying to lose weight, I am still following the basic principles for healthy eating. I feel like such a different person since modifying my diet and starting to go to the gym. Until this last week, I have been a regular at the gym 5 days a week.

Phase 1 is hard, but Phase 2 is VERY, VERY doable I found. Some things that helped me were:

1) My DH went on it too!!

2) I purged my pantry and refrigerator of ALL forbidden foods and also all foods that were my personal temptation foods.

3) If you are following the menus make sure you have all the ingredients you need at the ready. I was shocked at how often I had to go to the grocery store the first week because I could not BELIEVE the amount of produce that I needed to buy vs what we had been buying in the past.

4) Do not think of this as a diet, but as a change of eating habits meant to last a lifetime. That is what has really helped me stick to the SBD even though I am past the weight loss phase, and keeps me coming back when I have occasional "excursions".

Also, prevention.com has an extremely helpful SBD forum. I found it very helpful and inspiring until I found my "rhythm" on the diet, so to speak, which for me took about 4 weeks.

Good luck!!!

psophia17
04-04-2005, 01:17 PM
Join us! :)

I know nothing about the SBD, but having a place where I can come to talk about my fitness and nutrition goals has been a huge help to me - it's so motivating (especially when you get to post about how well you did ;)).

You can do it!

daisymommy
04-21-2005, 09:22 AM
How funny. I just bought the book yesterday, read the first 2 chapters, and came here this morning to ask if anyone here had done the diet and what your experience & tips were. So glad to know there are some of you here that have done/will do it, and that I can find old posts on the subject.

I am not totally sure if it's the plan for me (I LOVE carbs, so I'm not sure I could stick with it). But the 2 week jump start that enables you to lose 8-13 lbs. really appeals to me. I love the idea of that instant gratification, rather than just plodding along at 1 lb. a week from the very beginning.

I will check back when I decide, and see if there's a buddy I can join up with. Until then, good luck to all you courageous moms who are starting to eat right today! (I just polished off a caramel coffee with whip cream--oops!)

PPS: I forgot to ask--how much did you all loose in the first 2 weeks?
Any tips for healthy snack foods on this diet, or other tips? Thanks!

nfowife
04-22-2005, 01:09 PM
I did it for a bit before getting pg, and although I didn't lose a lot of weight (I find WW works better for me) my MIL has lost and kept off over 35 lbs. Here's a messageo board that was AWESOME when I was doing SBD:
http://www.southbeach-diet-plan.com/forum/index.php

There are so many ideas, helpful hints, etc. on this board it was a lifesaver!!