PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here done one of those detox fasts???

aliceinwonderland
06-02-2005, 10:28 AM
How long? How hard was it? And most importantly, how much did you lose? ( I know, I know...)

Erik has not quite weaned yet, but I need to do one of these soon...

Lynnie
06-10-2005, 11:59 AM
I did this one called the fat flush, which is by the same person who apparently just published a book about a fasting one - fast track or something. I had actually purchased the fat flush diet book at a thrift shop who knows when, and found it in my pile of books while cleaning out the garage a few weeks ago, and thought I'd try it. It has three parts, the first being a two week phase, and that's all I managed to do. I cheated a few times, once by accident, and the other times on purpose, but ended up losing 8 pounds in the two weeks, which was pretty good since I only have about 16 to lose (though I might shoot lower). I was also able to fit into clothes that were previously too tight. and the new clothes I bought a couple weeks before going on it are too big.

it was hard. but, the headaches from no caffeine went away after a few days, and I really do feel better not eating all the cr*p that I used to.

I know its not a kind of plan I can sustain, so I am starting WW on monday. But, I am going to still do some of the things the plan recommended, such as drink pure cranberry water diluted in water, have that with ground flaxseeds in the am and at night, have hot lemon water before breakfast, eat flax oil on my veggies, and try to avoid processed foods. If WW doesn't do it for me, I am going to do another 2 week go round at the end of july.

8 pounds in 2 weeks, with several really bad cheats is good, though, i think. and I really could tell by looking at my stomach area. And while I may have put a pound or two back, I still look and seem much thinner than before.

Mikesa3
06-27-2006, 06:54 PM
I thought I'd bump this to see if we can get more replies. :)
Nancy-Mom to 6 great kids
edited to add -just realized this was from last year.......

Lynnie
06-28-2006, 12:35 PM
I am actually going to do it again this summer.

I kept most of the weight off and if only I hadn't resorted back to some really bad habits (like eating plate fulls of brownies, and pastelitos with cafe con leches every morning), I would have done much better long term.

I thought it was useful to get a jump on weightloss, and it did take a while before I went back to my bad habits, and that wasn't the detox diets fault, that was my own for not being able to stick with a sensible eating plan.

abigailsmom
07-09-2006, 04:00 PM
Can you give the name of it or a website or something?

I need a jumpstart to get me going. I just need to feel like I am doing something and then I can have the motivation to keep it up with a balanced diet and exercise.

TIA!

Lynnie
07-10-2006, 08:52 AM
It was called the fat flush, a book by Anne Louise Gittleman or something like that. There is a forum for it in ivillage.com, under fat flush, where you can ask people questions and get recipe ideas. If you are going to try it, you might want to check the library, because the website people won't tell you exactly what you need to do (cause they want you to buy the book). My trainer now said I probably didn't lose fat, but all I know is that I lost 11 pounds in 2 weeks and was able to wear a smaller size, so I don't care what he said. (I am going to try it maybe for two weeks before I go to new york, but may have to eat a little more because I am doing weight training).

Basically, you have to cut out the whites - no dairy, flour, wheat, sugar. And you need to take supplements like flax seed, flax oil, borage or evening primrose oil, some vitamins, pure cranberry juice with water, hot lemon juice with water first thing in the am, and eat 5 meals/snacks per day. You are supposed to have protein with lunch and dinner, and for snacks, as many "good" veggies as you want, and up to two apples, oranges, or berries. carrots are not good on this phase, but tomatoes, broccoli, salad, cucumber, squash, spinach, mushrooms, are. Also, she recommends two eggs for breakfast every morning, or a protein shake. cooked in chix stock or a squirt of olive oil spray. And, no salt or pepper, but there are good spices - cinnamon, cumin, ginger, garlic, I forgot the rest. No coffee unless its organic, and the only kind of sweetener thats ok is a small amount of stevia.

The premise is that it is supposed to make you feel healthier because you are eliniating a bunch of things that may cause mild food allergies or sensitivities in people, and that's why she says to cut out all dairy and wheat and stuff. Then, if you follow the plan like you are supposed to, you gradually add stuff back and chart your reaction, so you know what foods make you feel sluggish, etc. I just did it for two weeks and lost the weight, and then gradually morphed back into eating my cafe con leches and pastelitos, which was my own fault. I did feel alot healthier after the initial shock of those first few days w/out coffee and comfort foods. And I did small cheats, but nothing major on most days. I even brought my "cranwater" to work, out to lunch, and to a dinner party. And passed up many desserts for those two weeks.

If you can do it for two weeks, and then continue to keep on the right track with balanced diet and exercise, I think it might be good. She does also have a book about some fast she designed too - just didn't find that one at a garage sale, so I haven't read it !

If you try it, good luck, and keep us (me) posted !

abigailsmom
07-11-2006, 01:19 AM
Thanks!!!

I think that I am going to try to get the book. I will let you know how it goes.

pookee
07-29-2006, 02:01 PM
Remember that you will feel horrible for the first while (the length of time depends on how "toxic" you are). When I say horrible, it could mean REALLY horrible... the kind of horrible when you can't get out of bed. Those quickie Detox diets aren't meant for the long term. Personally, I think they mess with your system too much.

If you really want to do it the right way, visit a naturopath to get a diet specifically designed for you and to get advice on which vitamins/enzymes/probiotics are best for *you*. Yes, it costs money, but you'll feel much better in the long run.

I went the naturopath route a year ago (currently 6 months pregnant) and felt great during the entire detox.