PDA

View Full Version : Danskin Triathletes......

erbono
06-02-2005, 01:49 PM
So, I recall a couple of months ago we were talking about doing the Danskin in various cities. How many are still on board? The Austin triathlon is in less than 2 weeks!!! This is the one I am doing. In fact today I am doing a 'Mock Tri' at a local club. You basically swim/bike/run whatever distance to get a feel for what the Tri is going to be like.

Let me know who is still on board! Our newsgroup kind of died it seems.

Erica

nd93
06-03-2005, 07:34 PM
I am getting scared! I am still signed up for the Seattle, so I still have many many weeks to go, but I have not done ANYTHING in the last couple of months. I am about to join a gym so I can swim. There is one that has a babysitting service. I would have no problem putting my older 2 in it (5 and 3) but I'm nervous about my 13 month old. How do you guys feel good about leaving your babies with strangers? I know I sound clingy, but he's my little guy and I just feel nervous about it. The 5 yr old has been in preschool so I'm used to her not being with me, and the 3 year old will start this fall. I guess I'm more comfortable with leaving them since they can tell me if anything went wrong/they were mistreated, etc. But the baby is at the mercy of someone helping him! I know I'd be right there and they'd come get me if they needed, but still I get worried thinking about it.

Sorry to hijack this thread. But I need advice on how to get workouts in and not count on your husband to watch the kids. Mine works long hours, and is travelling a lot this month so he will not be much of an option.

Thanks a bunch. I CANNOT chicken out of this!

alleyoop
06-03-2005, 09:22 PM
Hey Erica,

I was wondering if I would see you at the free Austin Power open water swim practice the other weekend! I was looking for gals that matched your picture, but I don't think you were there.
I am actually getting pretty excited/nervous about the race next weekend! If you have been on MommyFit, you saw that I was all in a quiver when we drove the bike course. However, we went back out there 2 weekends ago and rode the loop and it was hard but more doable than I thought.
Both of my kiddos have colds/ear infections right now, as well as my husband. I keep praying that I don't get it in time for the race.
How is your training going? How about everyone else?

jesseandgrace
06-04-2005, 06:00 PM
I'm still in too! My danskin was tomorrow in LA, but my MIL is in the hospital very sick, so I am doing a local one (Mermaid triathlon) right near me next weekend instead. LA is about 7 hours away, and we were going to make a vacation out of it, but it just didn't make sense. I am a little bummed because Danskin was my goal, but I am happy to be going for another one. I feel pretty sure that I can complete it, but also just as sure that I am very slow. Oh well. There is a tri group starting at my ymca so I am going to join.

Leaving my kids at the YMCA daycare has been fine! It is a great facility, the peole who work there are amazing, and we actually ended up knowing one of the women from a golf class. I think you have to check it out before you decide, but remember, you are right there. Ask some other moms too. I was a member at a club somewhere else and really didn't care for the daycare space and didn't use it, but this one I lve. But, I still don't use it all that often. I prefer not to have the kids at all and just focus on me. so that is usually early, or around the kids bedtime and dh takes care of that.

JulieL
06-06-2005, 11:55 AM
Gals just wanted to say GOOD LUCK and keep it up!

erbono
06-06-2005, 10:05 PM
I was at the Austin Power open day on Thursday afternoon, or was it Wednesday?!?! Anyway, I biked there, ran around the lake, swam 1/2 mile, ran around the lake, biked home and ran to my mailbox. This gave me the confidence I can indeed do the race. My heel is still hurting me so I will probably walk more than run. I am only concerned about the hills on the bike. But you are right, the course is not as hard as it looks. The hills are hard but like you said, doable. I hope you don't get sick. Take some Emergen-C!!

erbono
06-07-2005, 10:19 AM
Try to contact Danskin to have your registration switched for next year. I was planning to do it in 1999 for the first time but a business trip came up. I called and they applied my payment for the 2000 race, which was my first triathlon.

alleyoop
06-07-2005, 05:35 PM
I forgot about the AP first-Thursday thing! Nice club, isn't it? You are smart for doing all the sports together. The trinewbies.com training I have been doing included 'bricks' on most wednesdays, but I have never done all three sports together. At this point, though, I am not too worried about doing it all. It is more the specifics of the transitions and setup and stuff that makes me nervous.

I wish I had done the bike course earlier, so that I could have it 'under my belt' a couple more times before the race. I just tried to memorize which hills to use the granny, and which ones to stand up for. Definately the last hill is the worst. Granny gear all the way up.

What is Emergen-C? I think I might need the stuff.

Here is a picture of me just in case we cross paths out there. I will be in the 30-35 group, wearing black shorts/green and black bra for the swim, white shirt/black shorts (bright blue hat) for the bike/run.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/26866.jpg

erbono
06-08-2005, 08:13 AM
Love the gym. Wish it was on my company membership plan, too expensive otherwise.

Great picture! We definitely have the same things going on.... 3year old and baby. I use the sling also!

Anyway, I will let you know more details of what I am wearing once I figure it out. Will you be at the expo from 10-12 or later? (ie is last name a-m or other. My last name is Bono so I will be there 10-12.

Get EmergenC at Whole Foods or Sun Harvest. It is a Vitamin C huge booster thing. I am taking another today.

erbono
06-08-2005, 12:59 PM
I will be wearing a black TYR swimsuit with small red and white piping. And I will be wearing either a red or black running skirt (http://www.nbwebexpress.com/detail.asp?style=WRSK5010&type=WMAP). Yes, you read correctly! I saw these in a magazine and decided to buy a couple of pairs.

I will post on Saturday night to let you know what swim wave I am in. I am also in the 30-35 group.

alleyoop
06-08-2005, 09:30 PM
Wow! A running skirt. Who would have thought of that? Does it get caught up between your legs at all?

I will be there between 10-12, too, as I am an L. I am going to try to make it to the newbie talk, also, as I couldn't make it to the others a couple months back. Shall I mark my forehead with BBB in big black pen? ;)

nd93
06-08-2005, 10:08 PM
Do you guys know how to change a flat? Are you taking a tire changing kit?

erbono
06-08-2005, 10:09 PM
No, it actually doesn't gather between my thighs. I really like it. It is different and cute.

Here is a couple of recent pictures of me:

One with my hair down and another with it up. I will most likely have my hair up.

erbono
06-08-2005, 10:11 PM
Yea, I know how to change a flat. Go to a bike shop and have them show you how real quick. I will probably get a kit together for the race. I haven't ever needed it but better to be safe than sorry. They do have support out there but like I said....better to be safe.

nd93
06-10-2005, 09:55 AM
What do you think of the trinewbies training? Did it get you ready?

erbono
06-11-2005, 05:15 PM
I didn't see you today. It was so crazy there! My number is 1696, I am in wave 15 starting at 7:52 with purple swim caps. I will have on a black suit with white and red piping, a red run skirt with white piping and if I have a shirt on it will be either a white Runtex or white Danskin Tri shirt.

I am guessing it will take 2 hours to finish. My best times have been around 1:34, my worst time was 1:54. I am aiming for my worst time. :-)

I hope to see you there!

Erica

alleyoop
06-11-2005, 07:46 PM
I am in wave 15, too!! Purple, number 1702! My short are black and my bra is black and mint green. I will see you there! I am so nervous/excited I might just puke.

nd93
06-11-2005, 09:03 PM
Good luck ladies! I can't wait to hear how it goes!!!