PDA

View Full Version : How many of us are doing Weight Watchers?

mmaimp
06-06-2005, 07:33 AM
I just went back on Saturday. I did Points 2001-2002 and lost 50 pounds. After DS #1 I did not go back but lost weight easily because I was restricting my diet for his reflux. This time the weight is not coming off so easily! DS #2 has no problems with what I eat so I was eating anything I wanted. I have 28 pounds to get back to goal.

I get a lot of points because of the extra 10 for nursing but I'm having a more difficult time with choosing my food this go round.

Anyone else doing WW or nursing with WW? Any advice for the second time around?

Thanks,

jerseygirl07067
06-06-2005, 04:04 PM
No advice here, but I'm contemplating WW myself (I'm nursing too). Just curious, are you doing the meetings or the online version?

TIA,
Marcy

mmaimp
06-07-2005, 08:31 AM
I'm doing meetings. I need the weigh-in and support. I also like the food ideas that you get at meetings. I didn't stay for every meeting but I did try to make 2 a month last time so I'll try the same this time.

Which are you doing?

jerseygirl07067
06-07-2005, 10:05 AM
The one I am considering is the online version. In the advice I received here on the board, I learned that you have to add in the 10 points for nursing as they won't let you enroll online if you are nursing. I'm assuming it's because they would prefer to monitor you in person to make sure you're not losing too quickly.

Marcy

mlewis
06-07-2005, 03:11 PM
I started WW a couple of weeks ago, and I'm going to the meetings. I need the extra incentive. I did it a couple of years ago and lost about 20 lbs and then went off it, but I'm feeling committed this time around. I'm hoping to lose 40 lbs.

Good luck!

nfowife
06-07-2005, 06:44 PM
I'm planning on starting it in about 2 weeks (when DD is 8 weeks, want to make sure my BF supply is regulated). I am so excited about the extra 10 points!! I am doing it on my own, my grandma is a leader so she is sending me the stuff. I have previously done both meetings and online but I am fine on my own. I have about 10-15 lbs. to lose to get to my goal!

WooChx
06-08-2005, 09:47 AM
I'm on the WW Core Plan. I really like it. I only started about 3/4 weeks ago. I've lost 10lbs. and only have time to sneak in a few short walks each day (10-15 minutes). When I'm not on the BB Board I go to www.3fatchicks.com -- it's free and tells you everything about every diet out there.

They also have a great bulletin board. This is the link to the WW board (they have one for everything).

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2

psophia17
06-08-2005, 11:21 AM
I'm on month 6 of WW, and I'm doing it on my own with the help of WW Calc for Palm...this is also my second round of WW, the first time was for a year during which I lost almost 30 lbs back in 2002-3 (then I got PG and had to gain - woo hoo!).

I didn't do it nursing - I was starving all the time and just didn't have the energy to focus on it, so it wouldn't have worked out. But having additional points would be a reason why I may try it next time.

The main thing with WW, and with any diet plan, is that you have to decide that you're going to do it. It's very much a mental thing for me, I feel like I am running a race, and I have made this a challenge. It took a lot of time before that sunk in, and it's been a good policy for me. Figure out what you need mentally to help you along, and then do it. It's not easy, but it's worth it.

Lynnie
06-09-2005, 09:06 AM
I am starting on monday... and am about to hijack your thread...

Can you really lose weight on this ?? I guess so, since you said you lost 50 pounds before, and other people have had success, but for some reason I am skeptical. Maybe because I just did a much stricter two week diet, and lost a good amount, and I am afraid that's the only way I can lose it. I do know I need to try something more realistic, that I might be able to do long term, and this does look like the best bet.

What is a realistic timeline if I really follow the points plan ? I really only have about 10 more pounds to lose, but I really really want to lose them.

I also want the fudge brownies that are in my car. (BAD ME - next time i need to get those no pudge things someone told me about a few weeks ago)

need to run.... maybe i can make it there and back before my boss gets back.

Jeanne
06-09-2005, 12:39 PM
I've been on WW for a few months now and really like it. I wasn't on it while BF though. I just ate my face off and am still paying for it!

I find it super easy to follow and maintain especially in the summer when weekend get-togethers and shore weekends do a number on point counting! I consistently go up a few pounds, but by the end of the week, it's gone. I still have more to loose to get past my goal but I honestly don't see me being able to loose any more until summer is over.

psophia17
06-09-2005, 05:10 PM
A trick for summer get-togethers is to bring a big honkin fruit salad. I'm much more likely to go for that than a green salad, especially when there's also potato and macaroni salad kicking around...plus the fruit is so juicy that you aren't as thirsty...

I did WW for a year before, and lost 30 lbs on it. This time around, I've been doing it for almost 6 months and have lost 26 lbs, with another 29 to go. It's not easy, persay, but it's not the hardest thing I've ever done.

alkagift
06-09-2005, 09:05 PM
Yes, oh yes you can. For ten pounds that stick I say six weeks if you're super strict or two months if you sneak brownies! The reality is that you need to be able to maintain your diet and if you're like me, you can't maintain a "super strict lose it all fast kickoff diet." I need choices and flexibility and WW helps you realize what your choices really are, long term.

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, who is TWO!

Jeanne
06-09-2005, 09:26 PM
I've been watching your ticker Petra and I wanted to congratulate you!

I joined to get my last 10 pounds off but I've really only been maintaining lately. I'd like to go past my goal and loose 10 more but I know that will most probably take another six months at this rate. And I agree - it's not a hard diet to follow at all.

I always go for the fruit because I'm not a mayo based food fan at all! I also eat salads daily so I pretty much avoid them on the weekend. What I was really speaking of in terms of weight gain was the libation! Light Beer gives me such a hangover these days. Before I even get through the second one, the headache starts and I'm ready for bed. So I switched to Mikes but even Mike's Light has enough calories if you drink a few of them over a weekend! And of course after say about three - you neeed chips right?!

psophia17
06-09-2005, 10:59 PM
I'm drinking Spritzers these days - 1/2 wine (usually white zinfandel), 1/2 club soda. A bargain at 1 pt per glass...plus all the extra water keeps you nice and hydrated.

If you drink from a cup, you could mix 1/2 club soda with 1/2 Mike's...1/2 the pts, 1/2 the sweet (that's why I don't like Mike's), and 1/2 the hangover...

bnme
06-10-2005, 07:42 AM
I did WW to lose the weight from my 2nd baby. I lost 20+lbs in about 2 months. I stopped shortly after and have gained a few back, though :(

But I never dieted in my life (not that I shouldn't have...) and am a big eater. I found this plan pretty easy to follow and didn't feel hungry or deprived. I often saved enough points for icecream at night and still lost the weight! I found it easier once I figured out a few meals and their point values so I didn't have to think about it that much on a daily basis. When I stopped my intent was to just eat healthier but its not working out too well. I am trying to get motivated to start again....

mattysmom
06-10-2005, 10:39 AM
just a quick question - where do you find the info for WW calc for palm?
thanks so much!

Lynnie
06-10-2005, 11:26 AM
Ok, I am convinced - thank you all !! I am not going to try to do another extreme 2 week diet, and will start WW on monday. A friend at work is going to try to remember to bring her book in, and will get a slide rule thing for me.

I bought WW cereal at the grocery store (I used to eat 4-5 bowls at night before bed, since my dinner would only have been snacking on the kids' leftovers. wow. no wonder i gained a little weight there! until I looked at the WW cereal I never would have dreamed it was so fattening! but i digress) and am going to try to find out all the free point foods I can so that I can still have a beverage or two on the weekends, and a nice dessert when I eat out (or sneak brownies in my car) because I will believe you when you say you can eat ice cream and still lose weight if you follow the points system !!

Anybody know how many points would be in dim sum ?? :)

psophia17
06-10-2005, 03:41 PM
any flavor regular sized dumpling (about 2 inches square) is 1 pt, about...I round up if they're bigger, down if they're smaller...

and you CAN do it!

psophia17
06-10-2005, 05:48 PM
I posted about it a while back, all the info can be found here:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=59&topic_id=3374&mode=full

Let me know if you need more info!

jerseygirl07067
06-10-2005, 09:39 PM
I realize any plan is going to be a change, but want something that I can follow easily. I feel like I will be more likely to stick with it. I am planning on incorporating cardio and weight training (have started already :))

I'm now deciding between this one and Body for Life regarding the eating plan.

TIA,
Marcy

psophia17
06-11-2005, 06:20 PM
Do you ever feel deprived on WW?
It depends on what you mean by deprived, I guess. I think that at first, it was much more of a struggle to make better choices, and that I would often make bad choices because I wasn't going to deprive myself. But I would religiously count the points for it, and doing that made it sink in why eating a gigantic slice of chocolate cake was a bad thing - every time, all of my points would be gone. Now that I have done WW for a year and a half (total time, a year the first time, then a year + 9 months off, then 6 months) it's almost natural for me to go right to the healthier options, because they are more worth it, KWIM? The first couple of weeks were hardest, but after that it wasn't so bad, and now it's almost easy, with the occasional splurge.

Is it easy to count points?
Again, yes and no. They make calculating the points really easy with the little slide rule, but it can get annoying to try and figure out what the points are for different things. You can buy books with points values, but then you have to haul out the book when you eat stuff. So, to make life easier, I found places where points were already calculated for me (www.dwlz.com is a great one), and I also would figure stuff out before eating, so I knew what points I was working with. The other thing I do is estimate a lot. That gets easier with practice, but once you know basic pt values for stuff it's not hard to do. Also, the simpler you eat, the easier it is to count your points.

All in all, I think WW (like any other "lifestyle change" type of diet) takes some getting used to - but it's worth it, and if I can do it, you can do it :)

HTH!