PDA

View Full Version : How can I stop craving and giving into chocolate and sweets in general?

kozachka
06-07-2005, 12:31 AM
Chocolate is my crack. I always find a reason why I should have another bite. And if I don't I keep thinking about it until I give in. The urge gets especially bad after a meal and in the evening. Is there a way to purge my body of whatever is causing this addiction? Interestingly enough I almost never want/eat ice-cream. And I am pretty indifferent towards milk chocolate.

I truly believe that sweets are the main reason why I still can't shed the last 4 pounds (that and the lack of gym time) and hate the way I look in a swimsuit. I used to be able to get away with it because I exercised a lot and was young but not anymore.

Off to have a truffle bite from Trader Joes, those are awesome.

jerseygirl07067
06-07-2005, 08:35 PM
**Chocolate is my crack** Tell me about it!! I would like to hear suggestions on this topic too :) I have found lately that a glass of Ovaltine satisfies my craving, but I believe that once you add the calories of the milk and ovaltine, you may as well have a chocolate bar!!!

I also find that I crave chocolate after a spicy meal, which I eat a lot of... No help, just relating to your frustration!

marcy

kijip
06-07-2005, 11:22 PM
Seems there are two possible solutions:

The rationing method- where you let yourself have a limited amount of your craving.

The elimination method- where 1 bite always leads to 8 more bites so the person decides not to have the first bite!

I currently have NO self control once I start it seems (emotional eating), so I opted for the elimination version! I envy those that can choose the former.

Another thought- sounds nutty- I stopped craving as much sugar when I started a modified "South Beach" type diet. Eating lots of breads and other starches and sugars seems to make me crave more sugar. So I eat the high fiber starches I need and leave out the white breads etc that I love. This way Toby is learning to eat whole grains from the start and lots of veggies and I have reached a point where 1 pudding cup does not mean 4 pudding cups and a brownie. But I have a bit more to take off than the OP so I went a bit more radical in my approach. It really has worked wonders for me.

psophia17
06-08-2005, 11:53 AM
I don't think I'll ever really stop craving (and giving in) to chocolate cravings...but when I have them, I find it's much easier to handle when there's no chocolate in the house. Having to pack up DS and drive somewhere for chocolate is something I'm not usually willing to do.

So - I try and fight the craving with something else. My two main battle plans are to brush my teeth or drink a huge glass of water. The water is actually more helpful, I think, because mint goes well with chocolate (although that one does work for other food cravings), and chocolate doesn't feel as good when it's mixed in to a pint of water...

HTH :)

MissyL11
06-08-2005, 04:09 PM
I crave chocolate all of the time too. There is no way that I could live without chocolate. I now try to substitute chocolate candy for chocolate animal crackers. I know it sounds silly but the animal crackers have a rich chocolate flavor to them plus I can have 15 on them for about 150 calories.

Missy

javierandastrid
06-10-2005, 11:42 AM
I agree with drinking a glass of water or brushing your teeth. really works for me.
and although we have chocolates in the house (DH prefers to have them as treats),
i store them in a "special" cupboard...you know, a designated treat storage of chocolates, cookies and some of our favorite candies. Most of the time, i feel guilty opening that. :-) and if i do, i ask myself this question.."do i really want that chocolate or cookie?"
i know its hard. and i give in sometimes.

maybe you can try drinking tea after a meal?

kozachka
06-19-2005, 02:19 AM
Thank you for reminding me how to reign in my chocolate demon }(. Unfortunately the elimination method does not work for me :(, rather it leads to over-indulging shortly after the elimination occurs. I also suck at rationing so lately I've been combining it with limiting the amount of 'good' chocolate in the house. Interestingly enough I won't eat crappy chocolate. I am after the smooth rich taste and texture of truffles :9 and NOTHING can replace that. Fortunately the Trader Joe Truffle Bites are only 100 calories a piece so I can get away with having one or even two a day.

I've been also trying to avoid places that sell my favorite chocolate treats, which is difficult and I fail occasionally, but it least I don't get a desert with coffee every morning these days. And did you ever check how many calories there are in a mocha? It's like liquid candy. So no mocha for me for a while either.

Last but not least, I am trying eat something good and filling before having desert. It makes it much easier to ration when you are not hungry ;). And have my chocolate fix in the evening only since I can't resist at that point anyway but for some reason have much less trouble getting distracted after lunch.

Anyway with all these tricks and no husband (on business trip for 3 weeks) to eat together with I have shed 2-3 more pounds and fit in some of my pants :). Gotta continue visualizing myself in a slinky dress on my birthday next Sunday and maybe even a bikini shortly after.

cmdunn1972
07-01-2005, 12:25 PM
I have an idea that I got from the diet that I've been on for about a year now. (I won't name the diet because I don't want to be accused of promoting one particular lifestyle over another.) DH and I have been losing weight (with more successes than failures), and I tried this for a romantic Valentine's Day dessert.

Get yourself one of those high-cocoa count semisweet chocolate bars. (Pick one where cocoa is the top ingredient listed, not sugar. Cocoa is high in antioxidants so it's good for you, but the sugar isn't. Enjoy chocolate as an occasional treat.) Also get some strawberries (I like the long-stemmed, but whatever works for you is fine). Melt the chocolate bar in the microwave for about a minute (or until it melts). Dip the strawberries in the melted chocolate and eat. The sweetness of the strawberries makes the dark chocolate taste sweeter, so you really don't miss the milk chocolate as much. It's yummy and romantic too. :) I'd stick to this maybe once a week at the most if you're trying to lose weight.

For those in-between times, get yourself some unsweetened cocoa powder and mix it in with sugar-free whipped cream put over sugar-free chocolate pudding made with skim milk. That way, you have a chocolate over chocolate dessert that's pretty much guilt free. :)

kellij
07-14-2005, 12:11 AM
I'm with you on the chocolate is crack! That's a good idea about the chocolate chocolate pudding. It sounds tasty! Lately I've been trying to just have willpower at the store to keep from buying it and then I seem to do better. If it's in the house I will eat it, ALL!

mommy_someday
07-18-2005, 12:01 AM
Thanks for asking this question. I actually came here for the first time today (lowers head in shame) to ask a similar question. My problem in general is sugar. Specifically, soda. I used to be a chocaholic, but somehow it didn't sound good to me during pregnancy and I kinda got over it. But I am out-of-my-mind addicted to A&W root beer. Really, it's obscene. I go for days without any in the house and then send DH to the store/gas station to get some. He usually comes home with a few 2-liters (there's always some sort of deal) and I end up drinking them all in a matter of days. In fact, I had a 2-liter yesterday and one today.

I am absolutely disgusted with myself. Once I've had my "fix", I want desperately to stop consuming sugar altogether. But after a day or so without much, I really feel like a different person. Honestly, I think I'm addicted and I don't know how to stop. I really want to eat better so that I am healthier and feel better and most importantly, so that I set good examples for DS. DH is a health-nut, so you'd think that would be helpful. We usually end up fighting when I ask him to help me, though, because I always resent him when my sugar crave comes back.

Sorry - didn't mean to hijack your thread - I just feel like I'm going through the same thing as you and wanted to commiserate.

MimiSirois
11-17-2005, 07:55 PM
This is coming late, but...
What worked for me was the Sugar Addict's Total Recovery Program. You can get more info at www.radiantrecovery.com. It was a slow process of quitting chocolate & sugar (about 6 months), but it was easy once I did it because my body was nutritionally sound. Speaking of that, some nutritionists think you might be low in magnesium if you're craving chocolate. Taking magnesium never worked for me though. When I was stuck home with my infant, I once called a taxi to go get me some chocolates...lol...sad, but true!

I was completely sugars-free for 10 months until morning sickness. It was so bad this time that I actually "relapsed." Mom said I just needed to eat some Oreo cookies, and I eventually caved out of desperation. I have to get back on the program. It's a wonderful thing -- a very simple plan, but not always easy!

Michele