PDA

View Full Version : So Triathletes????

nd93
06-12-2005, 05:27 PM
How did it go??? Dying to hear!

There's one of you who did the trinewbies.com training - what did you think of it? Did it get you well prepared?

jesseandgrace
06-12-2005, 08:41 PM
I did it today, and it was great. I had a much better time than I thought (by 15 minutes) so my family missed me running up! My time was 1 hour, 31 minutes, 48 seconds! It was all women, and that was pretty cool. It felt like a HUGE accomplishment to me since I was totally out of shape 12 weeks ago. I have 3 more scheduled for the summer, 2 of them I will do for sure, but I am a little nervous that one is above my skill level, so I might chicken out. The swim felt longer than I thought, the bike was easier than I thought, and the run was about what I thought, although I did not expect to feel sick getting off the bike like I did :(. I NEVER feel sick to my stomach, so I was unprepared. The cool thing about doing it, is it has really started to focus me on what I want from the other races, like being in the middle of the pack. I didn't follow any training plan, I just read some books and came up with my own. Now I am going to start with a training plan, my Y has a Womens tri club that will start in July if they get enough people, and it is really a detailed plan.

alleyoop
06-12-2005, 10:00 PM
Erica(erbono) and I did the tri in AUSTIN today! It was GREAT!

I found Erica before the start and she was such a great calming influence. I was so nervous I thought I was going to puke, so it was really nice to have someone to talk to, who knew what they were doing! One of the last things she said to me before the race was that I was going to get hooked. I think she was right! Thanks again, Erica!

I did much better than I even thought I would do. I had a great swim, with only a couple log-jams to slow me up. The bike felt easier than my practice run, even the "big daddy" hill at the end. In Austin, part of the run parallels the bike course up the big hill. All the women who were biking were yelling "Go Runners" and all the runners were yelling "Go bikers!" It was very supportive. Transitions went smoothly, and I didn't have any clothing catastrophes. The run was hard. I don't normally run on grass, so that was difficult, and I was really tired by the end. Of course, there was a hill leading up to the finish line that really kicked my butt. I was sure I was going to puke. Luckily, the feeling passed before the finish. My time was 15:07 for the swim, 43:32 for the bike, and 30:31 for the run, with a grand total of 1:34:57! I can't believe it, but that puts me in the top 10% for age group and overall. :7

I was the one who did the program on trinewbies.com. I just printed our the 10week program and taped it to the back of the bathroom door. I followed it pretty closely, and thought it was a good program. It was gradual enough that I didn't get injured, which I think is good. Please, ask me any questions you have about it!

I have pictures of Erica and me at the start, plus others throughout the race. I will post them tomorrow!

erbono
06-12-2005, 10:56 PM
Congratulations! Heather, you did awesome! I am so excited you had such a great time and am looking forward to seeing you at least once every year at the Danskin. :-)

As always the race was extremely supportive and inspiring. There is nothing like running alongside a 58 year old woman and imagining that being you when the time comes. Or seeing very large women complete the race thus gaining the knowledge that they too can indeed do it.

I had a great time! My time put me in about the middle of the pack. I became a bit freaked in the swim (a first for me) because I started out in the middle of the crowd and felt like I was swimming in a frenzy. I spent the rest of the swim on the outskirts of the course, probably about 10 feet away from the bulk of the swimmers. My swim was just under 20 minutes. The bike went well, even though my chain came off in the first 2 miles causing me to get off the bike to put the chain back on. Bike time was 46. My run was tough with plantar facsitis but I think I did it in 30 minutes (I lost my chip during the run so I am not positive on the time).

I had a glance at the trinewbie site and it looks great. I think I will start using it.

It was great meeting you Heather! We will have to get the kids together sometime.

Good luck to everyone else planning on doing the Triathlon!

nd93
06-12-2005, 11:13 PM
That is so awesome! I am so proud of all of you! You have such awesome times! I'm still signed up for the Seattle Danskin, which is Aug 21 so I still have a ways to go. I'm very nervous though and have already considered chickening out because I have hardly trained at all. But my DH says I must get going and stick with it! I just joined a gym today so I have a place to swim. I swam in high school so I'm hopeful that with some time in the pool I will be able to do the 1/2 mile. I like biking and hate running so I figure I can always walk the run portion. 30 minutes for the run - I am so impressed!!

To Jennifer - you said you are in much better shape than you were 12 weeks ago? That is encouraging to hear! I hope I can say the same thing at the end of August.

Congratulations to all of you!!! I'm looking forward to seeing pictures.

erbono
06-12-2005, 11:30 PM
I just want you to know you can do it. As I told Heather, if you already used to swimming then the race is almost golden. Like you said, you can always walk the run, always walk your bike up a hill, but you can't cheat on the swim.

This was my 5th tri, 4th Danskin. The first 2 Danskin I didn't have kids. The 3rd I had my dd. My rule with that tri was if I could run, swim and bike once a week then I could do the triathlon. I was right. So don't chicken out! You will be so glad you didn't when you cross that finish line!

Erica

JulieL
06-13-2005, 01:31 PM
YEAH!!!!!!!!!!! I'M SO PROUD OF ALL OF YOU!!! What an accomplishment! Please, please, please post pictures! If there was one close to me, I'd learn to bike! Anyway you guys are doing so great! Isn't it awesome to see the challenges your body can handle?

GOOD JOB!!!

alleyoop
06-13-2005, 03:06 PM
I would totally agree with Erica! If you can swim then I think the rest will come easily for you. I would say that at least half, maybe even more people were walking the run... and having full conversations while doing it. There is NO WAY you would be alone! People are so nice out there. You really can do this! If I can, you can!

alleyoop
06-13-2005, 09:14 PM
Here are some pics my family took! The day looks cold, but it was really in the 80s with cloud cover.

This is Erica (with braids) and I before the start.
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/27248.jpg

Erica and I in our wave, waiting for our turn.
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/27251.jpg

Yep, I am that nervous... Erica is talking me through it.
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/27252.jpg

Thumbs up at the end of the bike.
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/27253.jpg

Start of the run
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/27254.jpg

Running up to finish line!
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/27256.jpg

Yeah! I did it!
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/27257.jpg

Erica, if you want full sized copies of any of these just let me know!

psophia17
06-13-2005, 10:50 PM
Gorgeous pics! I'm so proud of you, and of all the triathletes on the BBB - way to go, ladies :)

I have to say, I love seeing REAL women in bathing suits and/or small outfits - it's so empowering.

You guys almost make me wish I could swim!

jenmcadams
06-15-2005, 02:42 PM
I never seem to make it to this part of the board these days (being 36 weeks pregnant, I haven't thought about working out much lately), but I've been thinking about all of you triathletes and wondering if anyone has had their races yet, so I'm so happy I checked in today. Congratulations to all of you!!! I miss triathlons so much and it's so great to see people doing their first ones and enjoying it. It is such a tremendous accomplishment...congratulations again and have fun doing more races this summer.

nd93
06-15-2005, 03:47 PM
Awesome pictures! How was your family able to find you during the race?