PDA

View Full Version : curves ??

Lynnie
06-17-2005, 08:05 AM
I am thinking about joining, because the only machines i know how to do in the gym are the leg ones, so that's all i do, and my arms, back, abs, shoulders, etc could use a work out too.

i am going to try it out for a day next week, but wanted to get some input from anyone here.

the only time i could go would be either right after work before i get DS from "school" or at lunch. they don't have a shower - would i work up such a sweat that there is no way i could just towel off and change back into my work clothes if i went at lunch ?

and, are the people there on the floor with you really helpful ?

tia !

lynn

stillplayswithbarbies
06-17-2005, 11:01 AM
I love Curves! I lost 70 pounds doing Curves 2 years ago.

Whether the people are helpful or not really depends on the location. Some are and some are not. Go for a tour and try it out and see what you think.

I like that it is a 30 minute workout and works both sets of muscles on the same machine. (tricep and bicep by pushing and pulling, for example)

...Karen
DS Jake Feb 91, DD Logan Mar 03
http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/superpower.gif http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/borntobebreastfed2.gif

supercalifragilous
07-22-2005, 02:42 AM
In the back of the Curves book, on the very last page, is a one-week trial coupon. You can go to a used bookstore and find one with it in there. I did this and was totally hooked. Most clubs will let you come in and try a workout for free but the week trial is much better.

I usually go before work or after work, before DD gets up from her nap. I just plan for 45 minutes total. A lot of other moms drop off their kids and come right to work out to get it overwith.

I joined during the Curves Food Drive (a bag of food waived the joining fee) back in March and I absolutely love it. I go 3x/week and it really is 30 minutes plus stretching time after the workout. I love the girls who work there and the ladies who come at the usual time. I've met so many cool people there and talking during the workout really makes it go by fast.

You really get out of the machine what you put into it - it's all hydraulics, so the faster you go, the more resistance you're going to get/the more you're going to work out. I do sweat depending on how hard I work it, but I do bring a towel and our club has baby wipes, spritzers/body sprays, and spray deodorant available in the dressing rooms.

I just had a one-on-one "out of the workout rut" training session with one of the girls and it was really helpful. I realized I'd gotten lazy on some of the machines! However, I went to another Curves when I was on vacation in another city and the girls over there were high schoolers who were more interested in chatting and cruising the net versus mingling with the members so it kinda sucked. It really depends on your club and you'll probably pick up on the atmosphere there in a week.

It really is an all-around workout - one circuit works all muscle groups and depending on how many machines your club has, you go around twice, which is why it's 30 minutes (you only stay at each hydraulic and rest station for 30 seconds).

My best advice would be to try it out for yourself. It really helps to get "connected" with the people there so it really is a "club" atmosphere and fun to go to but it's very different from a regular gym like Bally's. For the price of a used book, you get to try a week free (just check the book first to make sure that coupon hasn't been ripped out).

Hope this helped! Good luck and have fun!

searchdog
07-24-2005, 08:26 PM
Just wondered how much Curves costs to join.

Thanks

hmseyer21
08-07-2005, 11:45 PM
Curves is nice if you haven't worked out in a while. One of my good friends had a membership there and she liked it for a while, but said it wasn't a good enough workout for her. She is a little overweight and at the time was inactive. She ended up paying for a year and only going for 6 mos. She did lose some weight and built up some stamina, so you have to look at your situation. She also complained that many of the women were older and she felt a little out of place but that probably has to do with your area. Lots of retirees here.

I know we aren't supposed to advertise here, but you should check into Jazzercise in your area...it won't benefit me any so hopefully they won't consider this advertising. I am an instructor almost 8 mos pregnant and it has really changed my view on exercise. I love it and there are no contracts to sign!! It's been around 35 years and if you like to dance (no exp. required:) it's a great place to meet friends too. Some classes even have child care or times which may fit your schedule...also most places offer first class free to see if you like it. It's easier to stick with something fun. Again I am not trying to "sell" anyone, it has just really blessed my life and I share it with anyone looking for a fun, total body workout. So hope this wasn't too much off the subject. As long as you do somethign you enjoy commitment is much easier...curves, jazzercise, or whatever...good luck...:)