PDA

View Full Version : Newbie to WW

neeter
06-23-2005, 02:08 PM
I am thinking of joining Weight Watchers...I'd like to lose 10-15 lbs. But I can't decide whether to go to the in-person meetings, or join on-line. The price difference is substantial - the in-person meetings cost $14/week, while the online version is approximately $20 per month.

Are the in-person meetings that much more worth it? Do you get better materials (recipes, point counters, etc) with the in-person meetings? (Or should I sign up for in-person meetings, and pay the start up fee, and then switch over to the online version?) Are there ever WW sales or promotions that I should wait for?

Thank you for your help!

alaible
06-23-2005, 06:47 PM
The only promotions I have seen are where they waive the initial fee or membership fee, they seem to have that "sale" very frequently. I think the materials are basically the same in person or online.

I did WW by attending meetings about 3 years ago and lost 48 pounds. I did work for WW for a short while after losing the weight. My personal opinion is that either way (meetings or online) can work it just depends on your motivation. I am more motivated to have to step on the scale infront of the WW worker each week. Kind of like I know I have to be good or I will be embarassed. I have tried to do it myself after the birth of each of my children because I was just to busy to make it to meetings. I have lost some weight on my own but not nearly as much as when I go to meetings. But if you are a very self motivated person the on-line plan is great for people who don't want to spend the money or don't have the time to attend meetings.

neeter
06-25-2005, 03:05 AM
Thanks for the information, I really appreciate it, especially since you've done both! I think I'd like the accountability of needing to step on a scale, with someone watching and writing down the numbers!

I also found out that Kaiser insurance discounts meetings about 30% off, so the price differential is less. Also I think it would be nice to have the materials once I'm done, so that I can still sort of refer to them when I'm not longer in the program.

Anyway, I really appreciate your message! Thanks!

mmaimp
06-27-2005, 02:42 PM
I second the meetings. I lost 50 pounds in 2001-2002 through the meetings. I'm also back to meetings now to get the baby weight off. I like the ideas you get at meetings. Sometimes the inspirational stuff was a little over the top but if you can find a leader you like it can really make your weight loss quicker and easier.