PDA

View Full Version : Posting week 7/11

JulieL
07-18-2005, 02:26 PM
Well count me up as wimp. Bad week - lots of excuses, as I list them feel free to skim to another post . So this week my outdoor workouts were ruined by either a.) rain or b.) a heat advisory - as in what happened to my scheduled jog for yesterday and my indoor workouts were ruined by the choice to either a.) workout or b.) sleep. Seeing as the fatigue monster is back, yet twice I opted for b ... sigh. I did get one prenatal easy as pie workout in on saturday, guess that counts. This week I VOW to be different!!! I'm starting my swim class tonight - YEAH!!! and I think I'm going to order two of Cathe's intermediate videos this week as well to make myself feel motivated. So that's me - tired, but otherwise healthy and fine!

How are all of you?

jerseygirl07067
07-18-2005, 03:33 PM
Julie - I found out that Cathe comes on in the am on Discovery Health. She has the most awesome bod!! Let us know how you like the videos, as I was thinking of ordering some. Just looking at her is motivating.

Last week was pretty good. I continued with the Zone, which I have modified to some degree so I don't feel deprived of my favorite snack, lots of peanut butter on bread! Anyway, I have continued to eat lots of fruits and veggies and am learning to make them in such a way that I kind of like them now! My favorite is a fresh blueberry and raspberry smoothie with almonds and vanilla protein powder. Blackberry and cherry combo is a close second. I love it so much, that I bought a new blender so I can keep on trying different combos of fruit for my breakfast smoothies. I am going to figure out a way to add knox gelatin to make them into fun treats for DD, sans almonds.

As for workouts, I had 3 cardios, my favorite of mowing the lawn for 90 minutes, and two stationary bike workouts for about 45 minutes. I even tried one on an empty stomach one morning since I've read it will burn a high concentration of fat...we'll see...And did two strength training workouts of upper and lower body.

Overall a pretty good week, until saturday. This past weekend was very sedentary, with lots of eating -it was my mom's birthday and there were dips, crackers, appetizers galore, not to mention my favorite, Penne alla Vodka. How could I resist?

But tonight it's lawn mowing night so it should help me get back on track...

Marcy

JulieL
07-19-2005, 08:47 AM
Marcy, I already have about 10 of Cathe's advanced workouts - and they are SSOOOOO great! I haven't done the intermediate ones, but I'm sure they are good as well as the quality of her workouts is unmatched IMO! If you ever decide to order her workouts - they are longer than the ones shown on TV. As I understand they have to shorten them to keep up with TV time. I will tell you about the new ones as soon as I get them. It looks like the ones I'm going to order will come in August. :)

psophia17
07-19-2005, 11:30 AM
I'm going to be a downer this week....

I did only one workout on Thursday, and although that one was killer, I really missed the rest of them.

Nutrition was pretty good, except that on Saturday I had to go to a bridal shower thrown by a bunch of older ladies, and the food was butter and cream laden, and my willpower is just not up to par.

Sunday through today, though, I'm loading up on the fiber, veggies, and water, because I'm going to crack 30 lbs lost tomorrow morning...and that's just the way it is.

I'm looking forward to next week...

JulieL
07-19-2005, 01:19 PM
Sunday through today, though, I'm loading up on the fiber, veggies, and water, because I'm going to crack 30 lbs lost tomorrow morning...and that's just the way it is.

.................................................. ...................

GOOD FOR YOU!!! I can't believe how far you've come already! Way to go!!!

jerseygirl07067
07-19-2005, 02:09 PM
Hi Julie,

Sorry to bug you, but I went to Cathe's website and had a hard time deciding which videos to get. There are so many! What I'm looking for is a video with more strengthening, and less aerobicy types of moves. I don't know why, I've always hated aerobics! I love aerobic types of activities that get my heart rate up, but not aerobics per se.
Do you know which videos have more stengthening exercises on them, and less of the aerobic/dance moves? And yes, I want something hard!(though it sounds like her stuff really is) Even if I can only do a few minutes, I'll work my way up!

Thanks!
Marcy

BTW: Your intro post you wrote was very inspiring. If I had any doubts about if I could do this, I don't now, thanks to you!

JulieL
07-19-2005, 02:49 PM
Marcy on the first page of www.cathe.com is a tab that says Ask Cathe. Here is where she has her own message boards. Under Videos and DVD's is a post where the members rated her workout videos and categorized them as well. NOTE: ALMOST ALL ARE HARD, and the ratings are based on experainced ADVANCED exercisers, so keep that in mind when you think of intensity.

http://69.0.137.118/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=3&topic_id=46835&mesg_id=46835&page=

My fav's are for weight lifting:

Pyramid Upper Body/Lower Body - TOUGH!!!

Muscle Endurance

Muscle Max

Gym Style Legs

But that's cause that is what I have! LOL I love all of her workouts though! Nice thing about Cathe's workouts, while expensive she has often 3 or 4 premixes on most workouts to shorten the length for days you need to do less. HTH, let me know if you have more questions.

BTW thanks for the compliment on my post - I really do just want to motivate other mommies that they can do this! :)

mmaimp
07-19-2005, 08:14 PM
I lost 2.8 pounds at my last weigh-in for a total of 10.4 pounds down. It's been so steamy and hot here in the NE it's making me lazy. Someday I'll start on my exercise routine but I'm finding it difficult right now.

alleyoop
07-20-2005, 09:41 AM
Last week was pretty good for me. I did my 4 runs, upping the long run to 5 miles. I am paying for it, though, with some sore shins and some weird knee pain. At night, DH and I have been watching the Tour and while I relax on the couch with bags of veggies all over my legs.

Pilates on the Ball: the stars finially alligned and I have now done this video workout 2x. Overall I would say that I like it. From someone with NO ABS, and I mean NO ABS...it was hard stuff. I never did crunches before kids, did narry a crunch between kids. I can do about 85% of the workout in the easiest positions. There are a couple things that are just too tough for me. The video is very short, though. I think it is about 15 minutes? Just when I am getting into it, it ends! I think that it will last me for a bit, doing it 2x to get a full workout in, but wouldn't reccomend it for anyone who has abs already. You will probably think that it is a waste. I think I better check out the Cathe workouts for my next video endevour.
Maybe TMI, but my hubby sure does like the video. He watched me do it both times (while doing the dishes) and when I complained about it being too short, he says, " I can think of some things we can do on the ball..." wink wink. Sigh! :)

psophia17
07-20-2005, 09:58 AM
My DH has great plans for the ball too... ;)

JulieL
07-20-2005, 11:22 AM
Watch out, you need good thigh muscles - especially DH ;) ;)

JulieL
07-20-2005, 11:26 AM
I found this link helpful on Runners World website. Could help you figure out your pain issues. Running is fun - the pain is NOT! Make sure you have really good shoes. TIP: New Balance stores will fit you - very very well. You will get service like no other shoe store around! DH is a long distance runner, I'm short distance runner - ok now a jogger ;). We both understand the needs for good shoes and a fun run!

http://www.runnersworld.com/channel/1,5032,s6-78-0-0-0,00.html

psophia17
07-20-2005, 01:45 PM
Thanks so much Julie...didja notice that I cracked the 30lbs today?

I am so excited - so what if this has been a cruddy month otherwise. Too bad I celebrated by eating a box of crunch 'n munch...

Oh - and other banner news is that MIL is pushing BIL to move out on Sunday. WOO HOO!!! :D

alleyoop
07-20-2005, 01:54 PM
Shoes! They seem to be the bane of my existence right now! I had shin splints for years and years every time I tried to run, then got a different pair of shoes (NB 765s) and started a heart-beat training program that didn't include any walking and I finally ran out of the darn shin splints. So, being the superstitious person I am, I won't walk at all during a run and got the same shoes 4 times. I LOVED my 765s! Loved them, loved them.

Then, a couple weeks ago I went back to my running store (RUNTEX) and they have discontinued the 765s! I nearly cried in the store! I tried on the replacement 766s, but they slipped really bad in the heel. I found out later by reading some running boards that they did change the fit on the 766, and LOTS of people have problems with them slipping in the heel. The only other pair we could find that had a good fit where the Mizuno Wave Nirvanas.

So, here lies the problem. I have been having more leg pain since getting the new shoes (shin and the funny knee problem, which isn't IB pain)... but I also upped the number of runs, and the duration from about 9miles a week to about 16miles a week, adding another mile each week. That really breaks the 10% rule! My plan this week is to keep the mileage the same and see how the pain does. Then, if it isn't better, go back to the store and try on shoes again. What I really would like is to find one of those running stores that has a treadmill and will watch you run. Maybe there is a New Balance store here in Austin? Hmmm. I will check their web site.

I have got to get this figured out because I really want to do this half-marathon and don't want to not be able to run, but of course, I don't want to really injure myself. I feel like this running thing is my salvation right now. Not just for the weight loss, and the new quads that I am totally in love with, but for my personal sanity and self-worth. KWIM?

Thanks for listening to my shoe rant, and for the article. I will scour it to find something that matches my funny knee ailment. I really appreciate it!

jerseygirl07067
07-20-2005, 02:40 PM
Petra - congratulations on breaking the 30lb mark!! Way to go!

Marcy

psophia17
07-20-2005, 02:49 PM
I've got a shoe rant brewing these days, too!

I bought a pair of Adidas cross trainers (trail runners?) a year and a half ago simply because they were on sale. Alas, they are wearing out. So I hit the sports store to try on more shoes, thinking I would stay with Adidas. But there's a sale going on for NB, which I'm psyched with. I try on a pair, love the fit, try on a pair of Nikes, think the fit is okay, and go back to the NBs. Someone has taken the box away. I find the guy who brought it to me in the first place, ask, and he brings back a different box, that has one 8.5W and one 8W - someone mixed up the sizes using MY box of shoes!

I needed something, so I bought the Nikes, but they just aren't right - they're too narrow to be really comfortable, and because they aren't wides, I got a 9 instead of an 8.5, and they are just long enough that I trip over the step!

And the store won't take them back...*sigh*

I hate shoe shopping - I want my old shoes to be new again!

alleyoop
07-20-2005, 04:10 PM
>
>I hate shoe shopping - I want my old shoes to be new again!

If I had a dime for every time I have said that about my long lost NB765s! I am with you, sister!

Great job on the 31lbs! Keep it up!

lukkykatt
07-22-2005, 06:58 AM
Hello Gals,

I got in 5 workouts last week. I did 3 cardio workouts on our new elliptical machine (yeah!) and I did two days of abs/arms. I am *hoping* that I can get DS potty trained by September so that he will be going to preschool - it will make things much easier to make sure I get my workouts in.

Have a good week, everyone!

Lynnie
07-22-2005, 09:37 AM
This week I have gotten two workouts in so far, and plan on trying the winsor pilates dvd i got. (except my bedroom has a vcr, and not a dvd, and that is sortof a pain. i can find any excuse, eh ?)

I need to get a calendar and write down my workouts so I can remember one week to the next !

Last week I think I only worked out once. And I ate pretty lousily. I gained a pound or two back, so to get back on track I ate some banana bread this morning. sigh.

At least it is getting easier to run. If I can get two more in this week, I'll be at 4 for the week, which is decent.

My goal is to be as good as most of you guys !

Petra, I love your ticker ! Watching it move down really inspires me. hopefully it will enought to make me do something about it again.

If I could just lose one more size, I could wear all my clothes. It would be pretty cool to be my pre-preg/pre first 6 months of marriage (it was like gaining the freshman 10) and in great shape by my birthday in Jan, which is going to be one of those biggies. really biggies. yikes. Of course, less realistically, it would be great to look good in a bathing suit in two weeks when I go up to the hamptons. should have re-thought that banana bread this am. especially the second, third, and fourth slivers.

Sorry for rambling.

jerseygirl07067
07-22-2005, 01:42 PM
mmmmmm....banana bread.... okay, I can totally understand that weakness. I actually made it once a week when I was pregnant, and would proceed to eat the batter (before I put the eggs in), and then the loaf would be gone in 24 hours.... I can't make it anymore because I lose control!!

Marcy

stewmom
07-23-2005, 01:27 PM
Heather, the store that helped me find my new favorite shoes (Brooks Adrenaline) was Fleet Feet. I visited one in Florida while I was on vacation but they have independently owned locations around the country - I think there is one in San Antonio? It's really interesting to get on the treadmill while they videotape your gait and discuss your body mechanics. I have plantar fasciitis and a tendency towards shin splints and with the right shoes I find I can avoid both. Good luck!

Sam (mom to Stewart 8-15-03)