PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever take a Pilates class or one on one session?

jerseygirl07067
07-21-2005, 09:15 PM
I've been thinking about what I'm going to use as a reward, after I hit the 2 month mark of consistently working out and eating well. It's coming up soon, and I've always wanted to do Pilates. I would love to do the one on one sessions on the Pilates equipment, but since I'm on an extended maternity leave I have to watch the budget. Plus, I want to purchase a few of the Cathe workout DVD's too :)

One of the places in town that does a lot of Pilates has an intro one on one session for $40 bucks and then said if it was out of my budget to continue those, they have mat classes that are small so you can still get some attention. I think I'm going to give this a shot! It will provide some variety in my workouts so I don't get bored and continue to progress.

Anyone taken done either type before? (I did do one mat class several years ago when my friend took me as a guest to her gym. I really liked it, and loved the concept of emphasis on core strengthening - I tend to be somewhat less disciplined when it comes to working on my abs. But Cathe has a core workout tomorrow on TV at 11- yay!)

Marcy

milesmom
07-22-2005, 05:03 AM
I love, love, love Pilates... I took it up after my son was born, he was about 9 months at the time. I had lost all 55 lbs I gained with him after 6 months, but had terrible back pain lugging him (and my breasts, LOL) around.

After a couple weeks of mat classes at the studio by my house, I looked better than b/f I was pregnant (confirmed by my dh), and my back pain was pretty much gone.

The studio limited mat classes to 5 people but there was often less, I did them 3-5 times per week. After 2 months, I was getting pretty good at it and felt like I could effectively follow a DVD (with Pilates your goal is to get the movement perfect), so I think working with an instructor who can correct you in the beginning is key. I have done some classes with the equipment and love it but at $65 a pop it is not practical to do often so, I would skip it unless you have the money to really dedicate to it. Also, I started doing Pilates at a second studio (for better weekend classes including Sundays) and they included the machines in the mat classes if the class was small, 5 was there max as well but if they only had 2 people we used the machines and the mats.

Hope that helps.

Michelle

Mom to Miles 6.2.02
#2 due 7.28.05 (6 more days!!!)

jerseygirl07067
07-22-2005, 01:43 PM
Thanks Michelle. And congrats on your upcoming baby!

Marcy

houseof3boys
07-22-2005, 07:20 PM
I took my first Pilates class about 2 weeks ago and when I got home I told DH that if I did Pilates 3 times a week I too could look like Jennifer Anniston. :) I was super duper impressed with it and the pain I had for the next 2 days was worth it. I can see how all of these celebrities have amazing bodies from being devoted to Pilates. I loved it and wish I could take it 3 times a week but our gym only has it once that works with my schedule and the kiddos. If I win the lotto, I will definitely add personal pilates classes to the list.

erbono
08-05-2005, 12:07 PM
I recommend a one on one but I would suggest seeing if you can get a one on one matt session. You really need to learn where the focus of the exercise is and it is harder to do that in a class setting. But if you aren't going to use the machines it is better to learn the matt exercises correctly.

Erica