View Full Version : Posting week 7/19

JulieL
07-25-2005, 10:15 AM
Hello one and all.

I had a decent week for me:

Monday: 1 hour swim aerobics class

Tuesday: 35 min speed walk

Saturday: Muscle Endurance (- abs) 55 min aprx

My dr appts this wednesday so I'm looking forward to seeing how I'm progressing. How did your weeks go? Here in St. Louis we had the hottest week of the year - very gross around 95-100 all week with heat indexes as high as 115 - yikes! Hope you are cooler than we are!

Lynnie
07-25-2005, 10:57 AM
I am in Miami. I don't think it was much cooler here !

I had a decent week, and if I post today, I won't forget what I did as time goes by !

I worked out at the gym next door to my office at lunch twice, running/speed walking on the treadmill, and went once to my gym after work. did not get as much done that time, cause I took the two kids, and the 15 month old was NOT happy to be in the playroom with his 3+ year old brother and the babysitter. I could hear his cries over the loud/awful gym music while on a treadmill far away.

I watched the introductory winsor pilates dvd on friday night, so I tried some of the moves (the baby/modified ones). In fact, it was a family affair - DH and the two kids were there watching and trying to imitate me. very funny. but sad - all were better than i was.

My diet was pretty bad. Chinese food feast at lunch to celebrate the interns' departure. Italian restaurant with really good pasta to meet with the head of the child development center. Ice cream cake for the interns. Home made banana bread on the office kitchen counter. A random pack of m&m's. But, when I wasn't being terrible, I was ok, which sounds wierd, but the rest of my meals were healthy.

Going to the gym right now with my work-out-buddy-at-work.

Hope everyone is doing well. Keep inspiring me !!

mmaimp
07-25-2005, 12:20 PM
I could not make my WW weigh-in because of my sister's baby shower on Saturday. I should still be loosing even though I ate way too much at the shower. I journal all that I ate and should do better the rest of the week.

It's been really hot here in the North East too and we are not spending too much time outdoors. My double stroller is broken anyway so we could not go walking even if the weather was better.

Every week I keep posting that I'm going to start exercising but have not yet. Now I'm feeling discouraged because the scale and my clothing size do not seem to correlate. Last time I was down to this weight I was about 2 sizes smaller. I'm not sure how to get motivated. I feel like all of my energy goes to taking care of the boys and there is nothing left for me to towards anything else, including housework and exercise.

jk3
07-25-2005, 04:52 PM
Last week I hit the gym 3 times. I feel great when I stick to a routine. This week, I'm not sure how I fare since I have too much to do. I am going to try to go to the gym tomorrow!

Jenn
DS 6/3/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

jerseygirl07067
07-25-2005, 05:36 PM
I had a pretty good week too. I continued eating pretty well, and then indulged in a delicious sushi dinner and some wine on saturday night with a close friend of mine, sans kids. It was HEAVEN!! But sushi is pretty lo cal to begin with so I felt no guilt.

Workouts went pretty good, though I changed things up a bit:

Mon - mowed lawn - 75 mins

Tues, Wed, Thurs - cardio on empty stomach first thing in am 25-30 mins, with strength training on Tues using super slow technique. It was intense and required lots of concentration, but I got my strengthening done in less time. I also have read that the working out first thing in the am, if you can tolerate it and still put forth an intense effort, burns more fat in less time as glycogen stores are lowest in the am. Supposedly you get the same fat burning you'd get doing a 45 minute cardio workout later in the day.I figured I'd try it for a week, but realize I'm not getting the same cardio benefits this way, but hopefully decent fat loss.

Fri - full strength workout upper body, lower body, and abs

I am happy to say that when I went to my OB/GYN appt this am, (though different scale) I am the lightest I have been in almost two years!! Woohoo!!!

I will be doing another reweigh and remeasuring in 2 weeks....

Also, I plan on buying one or two Cathe videos this week. I may try the Pilates mat class over the next two weeks or so.

Overall I feel very good physically and am noticing changes in my body that keep inspiring me!

Marcy

Lynnie
07-25-2005, 11:20 PM
When I looked at the ages of your two boys I could totally relate. I also have two boys two years apart, and its tough keeping up. If I didn't (have to) work, I don't know how I'd get my work outs in, cause lately I have been doing most of them during my lunch break.

Maybe you could find a gym with babysitting, and the boys might like the outing, too. My 3 year old loves going - of course, usually its with daddy. the 15 month old hates it.

Or you could try a morning dvd/tape workout, and the kids could play along.

I don't have many suggestions, because goodness knows I'm not nearly as motivated and dedicated as most of the mamas on this board, but I do know that once you can find it within yourself to get started exercising, it feels great and actually gives you more energy. I am not nearly where I want to be, but have felt like I sense you are feeling now, and my running at lunch has really helped me feel less overwhelmed.

As far as housework, someone here recommended a site called flylady.com, and it has been helpful for me. for people who are neat by nature, it is probably all common sense, but i am not one of them, so alot of the ideas and theories were like a light bulb going off in my head.

Most importantly, please don't feel discouraged. I think all of us know what it is like to have body shapes change and clothes not fit yet. grrrrr. look at everyone here who has been able to make great changes, but remember, most, if not all of them did it gradually, in their own time when they were ready. and everyone has good weeks and bad weeks, and just because you may be getting a slow start in exercising doesn't mean you won't ever get there. just remember your time is as important as the kids time, and if you spend it exercising and it gives you more energy, they'll get the time back that way.

now, next time i complain about being hopeless in the diet department, or not working out enough, please remind me i said all this !

JulieL
07-26-2005, 08:42 AM
Also, I plan on buying one or two Cathe videos this week. I may try the Pilates mat class over the next two weeks or so.
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

ME TOO! What are you getting? I'm ordering Total Muscle Scuplt/Total Cardio Step and High Step Circuit (I think) - still deciding though! I love getting new workouts! :)

jerseygirl07067
07-26-2005, 04:50 PM
Hi Julie!

I'm not sure which Cathe videos to get, I'm having trouble deciding between a few. Maybe you can help!

The ones I'd like to get are advanced, even though I may not be at that level yet. I'd rather work my way up to being able to do the whole thing, instead of buying videos at different levels, though I'm sure they will all be hard for me!

I'm probably going to get Pyramid Upper and Lower Body since they come as a money saving set at collage video. But I wanted to know the difference between that lower body workout and Gym Style Legs. I'm also debating between Muscle Max and Maximum Intensity Strength for a whole body workout. And finally, I was thinking of getting Core Max, but I'm not sure.

So that will be three or four of them. Where do you recommend buying them? I was even thinking of checking ebay too. (I'm on kind of a tight budget). Also, can I get by without the body bar and substitute the dumbbells instead? DH and I have a bunch of dumbbells in varying increments.

At least I was able to be on the bike for a full hour while I researched her site and the collage video site. I figured out a way to set up my bike so now everytime I'm on the computer for long periods, I can be on the bike too. It's amazing how much time I spend on the computer.....

DD #2 seems to finally be settling into a good nap routine so hopefully it will be even easier to get my workouts in. :)

TIA!
Marcy

alleyoop
07-26-2005, 08:22 PM
I had a decent week, with my usuall 4 runs. I broke my own plan and did increase my long run to 6 miles as the legs were feeling somewhat decent. Boy, I am paying for it now, though. Ugh, the sore muscles!! That is the longest I have ever run in my life! Hopefully I can make it to 7miles this week. I didn't do my XT workouts, just because I was lazy both days... and I did kind of eat my way through the weekend. Ah well, one out of two ain't bad!

Great news in that my dear sister is PG! She had a horrible 12week miscarraige when I was PG with DD... and has been trying for another ever since. I am holding my breath for her. She isn't going to be doing the half-marathon now, so I don't know if I am still going to fly out there to do it anyways. Let's see how things play out.

Julie! We haven't seen any bump pics in a while! Show us the belly, girl!

Edited to add: Marcy, is it true about the fat burning first thing in the morn? Is there research about that? I always wondered, as I run first thing in the morn. I just pee and put on my shoes and go, don't even drink water before I go. I was wondering if that was bad for me in some way?

Edited again to brag: My baby walked for the first time today! Bye Bye baby! :)

jerseygirl07067
07-26-2005, 10:52 PM
I've read it in a few different sources. One is a booklet I have called "Burn Fat Faster", put out by the editors of Runners World. While it didn't necessarily say to do it on a regular basis with workouts, it did say thata morning run before breakfast will force your carbohydrate-depleted body to burn extra fat. The effect is enhanced even more if you run or exercise the night before, then do the morning run on an empty stomach.

The other source was Bill Phillips, the founder of the Body For Life concept and author of the book. I can't remember if I read it in his book or in one of his articles in Muscle Media Magazine.

I asked my brother about it too, as he did Body for Life for a while, and he agreed that the concept works. I can probably find his sources out for you as he reads everything out there on the subject.

HTH,
Marcy

P.S. Congrats on your baby taking those first steps!

psophia17
07-27-2005, 12:18 PM
Hello all :)

I had a good week for fitness and pretty good for nutrition.

Fitness:
Mon - Step
Tue - TBC
Wed - walked with DS
Thu - TBC
Fri - sat in car for 6 hours
Sat - walked in vineyards with DH and DS
Sun - nada

I'm doing cruddy now because all the sitting in the car for our vacation killed my back, but luckily it makes me not hungry...so I think that factored into my losing weight over our vacation.

I'm so proud of everyone - you're all doing so well :)

mmaimp
07-27-2005, 01:09 PM
Thank you for replying to my post. I'll get my act together soon. I already get the Fly lady emails but don't do many of them. Some days are better than others. We are also thinking about joining the Y in the fall and they have rooms to watch the boys when I workout. August is going to be a very busy month and once I get through it I should be in a better place.

JulieL
07-27-2005, 01:46 PM
Marcy PLB and GLS are two TOTALLY DIFFERENT leg workouts.

PLB is more a traditional pyramid workout gearing towards strength gain - you go as heavy as you can. You do a set leg presses, then static lunges, a super set of plies & squats, and dead lifts in sets of 12, 10, 8 at the heaviest weight, then 10, 12. You increase your weights a little each set up. For instance I do leg presses at 20, 25, 30 lbs right now. You then do calve raises a couple sets. Next is 20 min or so of floor resistant work using a ball - very effective!!! The cool thing about Cathe is say you want to work up to the whole workout you can choose the pyramid up premix and cut it to 30 min or so doing sets 12, 10, 8 and skipping the down set of 10 & 12.

Here's the total breakdown if you didn't see it yet:

http://www.cathe.com/pyramids_chapters.htm

GSL is more endurance baised with some strength moves thrown in - like heavy squats and lunges - great for toning!

the breakdown -

http://www.cathe.com/2005_GS_Legs.htm

You use heavy and light weights throughout, but more light weights. Don't be fooled when she picks up two 5lbs for lunges - it's a long set and you will be FRIED promise! And it too has 20 + min of endurance toning floor work.

The floor work on these just fatigues the muscles down even farther after using weights, very effective IMO. I LOVE both of these and use them alot. Many gals on Cathe do her rotations she posts under rotations in the Cathe forum area. Here's a link to many of those links to give you a better idea how these workouts can be used. Oh and everyone on Cathe's site abbreviates the workouts by the first letters of the workout's name. HTH!

http://69.0.137.118/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=7&topic_id=1637&mesg_id=1637&page=

Oh I have MM but not MIS so I can't compare but search around and you may find old posts or enter as a member and post questions about it. As far as buying I buy from Cathe as you 90 days (I think) to return if the disk should be defective and for the combo DVD's that are $50 that is worth it to me. I have bought from Ebay, for $40 on one of them, it worked fine - but probably wouldn't in the future because of that very reason - I can always return to Cathe. Not sure about Collages return policy. Good luck! :)

JulieL
07-27-2005, 02:01 PM
Edited again to brag: My baby walked for the first time today! Bye Bye baby!

YEAH - HOW EXCITING!!! Watch out now! ;) I'm excited for your sister, what wonderful news! How far is she now? Oh, I'm give you another bump next week!

JulieL
07-27-2005, 02:09 PM
Petra GREAT JOB AT 32LBS LOST! We do notice! ;)

jerseygirl07067
07-27-2005, 03:37 PM
Okay, I think it's settled. I'm getting Pyramid UB/LB, Muscle Max, and Core Max. I did post on the site asking the differences btw Muscle Max and the Maximum Intensity Strength, no responses as of yet, but when I did a search, it seems Muscle Max is pretty popular.

Can't wait to get them!

Marcy

alleyoop
07-27-2005, 06:20 PM
Oh, she is only PG by a nano-second! 4.5 weeks, I think? If you are the praying type, she could use the thoughts. The miscarriage destroyed her and I don't want to see her in that much pain again.

Can't wait for the pic!

Petra, congrats on the 32lbs! Such an accomplishment! So, are you throwing away the old cloths? I just gave a huge bag away to goodwill and said my mantra over the bag "I will never be this size again!!" repeat, repeat, repeat. KWIM?

jerseygirl07067
07-27-2005, 07:49 PM
Congratulations on the 32 lb loss! Rock on!!

Marcy

psophia17
07-27-2005, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the kudos :) I'm really proud of myself - to make my goal I only need to lose 1 pound a week from now until Christmas. This is a HUGE motivator, even with BBQs, rehearsal dinners, stagettes, and weddings looming large in my future. Thank goodness the area I live in has great fruit stands.

I actually weighed pretty close to what I do now before getting PG with DS. April 4, 2003, my best friend and I went through my entire wardrobe, tossed the fat clothes, and went shopping (yes, before tossing the fat clothes - risky, but empowering). Then, on April 13, 2003, DH got one in the five hole...and I never got to wear a stitch of my skinny clothes. I wore maternity clothes for a year, and got a couple of pairs of pants and things to get me over the hump, until I could fit into my brand new, never been worn wardrobe...all I need is new undies, and I'm saving up for some good ones ;)

psophia17
07-27-2005, 10:23 PM
Thanks ladies :)

I'm so proud of myself - even when I did WW before, I topped out at 29 lbs lost...I was 177 the week I got PG with DS. I'm 183 now. So in 6 lbs, I'll be working on the virgin fat - how much of a motivator is that?