PDA

View Full Version : How to walk with a newborn?

lbrown6366
08-01-2005, 05:11 PM
I'm due in a week with my first and as soon as the doctor clears me, I want to continue my routine of walking in the neighborhood park. It would then be 3 of us girls (me, my dog, and new baby)!! I do not have a jogger stroller and I've read they cannot be used for the first several months anyway. We really hadn't budgeted for the expense of one either.

There are some paved sidewalks, but it is mostly gravel trails. Can I use my Graco MetroLite stroller with the carrier car seat snapped in? I don't want to harm the stroller. And I don't want the ride to be too bumby and uncomfortable for my baby. I want to continue to walk. I feel it helps keeps me in healthy in body and mind.

What should I do? Thanks for your help.

Lee

DebbieJ
08-01-2005, 05:14 PM
Get a sling or pouch! Check out the babywearing forum for tons more info.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10029.gif

JulieL
08-01-2005, 06:43 PM
ITA with Deb. A sling would be best for the beginning. Babies love being close to mommy, and they usually fall asleep there too. You can always as for a jogging stroller for a family Christmas gift.

HTH!!! Good luck with your delivery - we would love to hear about it after the big day!

houseof3boys
08-01-2005, 08:05 PM
Wear the baby! It will be great for her and great for you too.

Don't rush the exercise either, the weight will come off in no time. :) Walking is fantastic too since it is good for both of you and as you mentioned it keeps your mind healthy too.

Best of luck Lee.

psophia17
08-03-2005, 09:33 AM
ITA about the sling - I have one from www.sleepingbaby.net and it's great, plus the lady who makes them is wonderful to work with.

Sillygirl
08-16-2005, 02:55 PM
I really wanted to walk with my new baby, too! But I hated (and still hate) the look of slings and would never ever wear one. I got the Bjorn, which may not be as popular around here, but it worked great for me and Jonathan. We got a lot of walks in before he outgrew it and I've lost a ton of weight. Strollers I think would be too jouncy on a gravel walk.

lbrown6366
08-21-2005, 09:08 PM
Thanks to everyone who responded! I had my daughter just over 2 weeks ago (Aug. 6th) and we went on our first walk (with husband and dog) yesterday. I used the Bjorn carrier (received it as a gift about a week after we had the baby). Things went okay. We got pretty hot and I was worried about her breathing ... with her face smashed up against my chest. But it felt great to get outside, and I plan on many, many more trips to the park.