PDA

View Full Version : Stomach muscles separated...when and how do I start exercising?

daisy1234
08-07-2005, 08:36 PM
hi...My stmach muscles separated...I was very weak to begin with and now after pregnancy I am even weaker. Is it safe to do pilates...it has been almost 5 months. I am so afraid to ruin my stomach since I had the separation...I forgot the technical term for it! Any advice is appreciated!

Laura

jerseygirl07067
08-07-2005, 09:56 PM
It is called a diastasis recti (separation of the rectus abdominus). You can check yours by laying down on your back with your knees bent. Put your finger tips over the area of separation, and then try to lift your shoulders off the floor, like you're doing a partial sit up. If you're only 1-2 finger widths you can start, but start slowly. With any more separation than that you could risk injury.

A good way to get it to close is to pretend you're blowing out a candle until you can't blow out anymore. It will cause your abs to contract and help the separation close up more....

HTH a bit,
Marcy

hmseyer21
08-08-2005, 12:00 AM
I don't know a whole lot about this, but I am an aerobics instructor currently ~8 mos pregnant and have read a little about diastasis.

Start slowly and gradually build up as with any muscle problems. If you ever feel dizzy from ab exercises..stop and roll onto your side. Also avoid doing twisting exercises and draw your navel towards your spine when getting up or down or lifting.

Also until your abs become stronger try splinting. You can either buy one or make one. maternalfitness.com sells them. To make one: use a scarf/thin piece of fabric about 62" long and wrap the cloth around the lower back holding a section in each hand(don't make a knot). Bring your right hand across the body, pull towards the middle, rest your hand on the abdomen. Bring your left hand across your right side. Pull gently from both sides toward your middle over your bellybutton and hold as you do any abdominal exercises.

This was all the info I have...hope it helps...the splint will definitely help until you build some muscle back. Good luck!