PDA

View Full Version : What do I need to buy from Weight Watchers?

searchdog
10-11-2005, 09:24 AM
I am going to go to a meeting today and I am 99% sure I will join. I know they sell all kinds of extra books and things, which ones should I buy? Which ones are a waste of money?

Are there any good sites that help with foods for WW. I have finally gotten serious and need to loose at least 60 lbs and my goal is to lose that by DD's birthday next year which is June 6, so that is 8 months. I am also going to be working out with a personal trainer on Wednesdays and Fridays. I am hoping the combo of these two things will lead me to weight loss success. I will take any hints any one has to offer.

Thanks,
Meg

psophia17
10-11-2005, 09:35 AM
YAY MEG!!! I'm a huge fan of WW - it's worked for me 2x so far (got preggo in the middle of round 1, so had to quit).

I'll start with my favorite website: www.dwlz.com is Dottie's Weight Loss Zone, and it's amazing. It has tons of pt. values figured out for you, recipes, and a whole bunch of other motiviational stuff.

The second thing that worked awesome for me was doing my journaling on my Palm Pilot. There's a free program you can download to do it with, and you can also download all sorts of pt. values in a searchable form for it. I love it, gadget geek that I am.

As far as buying the stuff that WW sells, I never bought any of it. I am cheap, and couldn't see how I needed any of the stuff when I could check out the website above and use my Palm for journaling.

I'll post more later - DS is now awake and sounds like he's going to come through his wall any second now...

jenmcadams
10-11-2005, 10:24 AM
I've only been doing WW for a few weeks, but so far, so good. Here are some thoughts

I wouldn't buy anything from them -- I do think a basic kitchen scale is useful.

As far as websites go:

Dottie's Weight Loss Zone
www.dwlz.com is great
(kind of amateurish, but tons of info)

Bootcamp Buddies
http://www.healthdiscovery.net/forums/index.php?
Good forums with recipes and ideas

50 Ways to Make WW Work for You
http://www.epinions.com/content_3158548612
An epinions post I found which has some good ideas

Good Luck!

Aunt to sweet baby boy
10-11-2005, 10:41 AM
Petra

Whats the name of the program that you have for your palm pilot? I have a treo 600 would it work on mine?

TIA

Ilana and her dn avi~ If his fat thighs are cute why aren't mine?

psophia17
10-11-2005, 11:23 AM
It runs on Palm OS, so I think it would work on a treo (I aspire to a treo!).

The program is called WW_Calc, and I got my copy of it from it's yahoo file sharing group, at http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/wwcalc-for-palm/. Be careful to download the US version, not the UK one - they are different.

stcelia
10-17-2005, 11:44 AM
I found their books that list the points of regular and fast food to be helpful.

Other than that, I never bought anything. I figured I needed to learn to lose weight without using specialty foods or I'd never get out of the program.

WW really works. Good luck. FWIW, I found that journaling what I ate really made a difference. If I knew I had to write it down and be accountable for it, it made me think twice before I put it in my mouth.

Good luck!

clc053103
10-17-2005, 01:52 PM
Congrats on taking this great step!!! I am joining again this week to lose post-baby weight- I feel I have done all I can on my own.

I also love DWLZ.com. It's the BEST site for points counting- even better than the WW books! Thw wieght watchers boards on their website are also good for menu ideas- you can even just post for a recipe and someone is bound to have one for you- I found my favorite points-friendly desserts there!

The only thing I bought was the journal - they give you a weekly paper journal, this one is a heavier book to use- I liked it so I kept all my journals together- I could look back on weeks where I did really well to see what I did right with eating and exercise! And it motivated me to stick with the plan and fill the book!! It's about $6 (depending on your region).

the only other goodies I bought were food related- I tried some of the bars, and I really like the Fruities- they are chewy candies. I love candy so these made sticking with the plan much easier for me.

Best wishes to you!

slknight
10-20-2005, 03:19 PM
It's hard to find, but if you can find it, their "Take-out Tonight" cookbook is well worth it. All the recipes in it are excellent.