PDA

View Full Version : So frustrated -- gym membership advice, anyone?

Saartje
10-18-2005, 12:49 PM
DH and I want to join a gym this winter. Of the options we've found (and we can only realistically consider gyms with a childcare option), one is far cheaper than the rest, but requires an unreasonably long commitment, with an expensive buyout option and a high joining fee.

The others are twice to three times the price -- out of our price range.

We need someplace indoors to exercise in the winter (keeping up a walking/biking program isn't feasible outdoors in Chicago in winter), it needs to have a pool or a track (self-knowledge: DH won't stick to a workout that requires him to walk on a treadmill), and it needs to have some kind of childcare option.

Why does it seem that being fit is only for the wealthy here? Any suggestions for options I haven't thought of looking into, anyone?

Lynnie
10-18-2005, 01:30 PM
How often realistically do you think you'll really work out ? Because my gym has babysitting, but we can't take our 18 month old there because he screams. and screams. and screams. This is a kid who started "school" at the end of august, and now loves it. But he HATES the daycare babysitting room - face pressed up against window, tears streaming down, hyperventillating, howling and crying, totally ignoring his brother and the other kids who want to play with him, etc.
Maybe you could join a cheaper one without babysitting if you are only going to go once or twice a week, and go during nap time, and hire a sitter. Having said that, it sounds pricey.

Maybe try to form a working out support group with another couple, and take turns watching the kids while the other couple works out ?? Or take turns going. Cuts down on togetherness though.

If you do join a gym with childcare, I do recommend trying it out for a week first. All of them should let you do that, or at least do it for one visit, and you can see how everything works out.

Do you guys have a Y ?? My sister has one where she lives, and they have family stuff. (I don't think they have them where I live)

You could always hit the mall with a jogging stroller and walk with the older crowd.

good luck !

Saartje
10-18-2005, 01:48 PM
Hm... Ishie doesn't usually have a problem being left, as long as there are interesting things to do and see. We'll try it out, though. Problem with not having the childcare option is that DH and I both have extremely hectic schedules, and that would mean either of us couldn't work out without the other being around to babysit (hiring a sitter for that purpose would be prohibitively expensive -- at least as bad as one of the more expensive gyms, I'd say). Not going to happen, given the number of other things each of us must do while the other has full Ishie-care duty. And there are only so many things one can do during nap time.

We do plan on going more than twice a week. More along the lines of four times a week, minimum.

Lol at the shopping mall suggestion -- that would actually be a good one, except that I think the nearest indoor shopping mall is about an hour's drive away.

Thanks for the food for thought, Lynnie!

Lynnie
10-18-2005, 05:18 PM
sorry i wasn't more help. But definitely try 'em out. If you really do go four times a week, not only will I be extremely jealous (hee hee!!) but then maybe you can justify a higher priced one... cause getting stuck with a long contract and buyout stuff can be worse than paying more up front sometimes. Says the woman who can't go to the gym because her younger kid gets kicked out of the childcare room, so is paying for nothing (but i hate my gym anyway, and don't like going). And if the more $$ ones are nicer, would they have all those great perks, like nice, clean saunas and steams ?? Before kids I belonged to a great one during one summer - right on the boardwalk on miami beach (the eden roc) and I would hit the gym, then walked on the boardwalk looking at the ocean for a cool down, then went to the sauna and steam, then occasionally ruined everything with a frozen drink at the restaurant. If they had childcare, I would almost take out a second mortgage just to be able to go to someplace like that, and would bribe the kid with whatever it takes to make him like it - or at least not get kicked out. So I guess the point in all that rambling is, since our time is so limited now that we are mommies, and since health is so important, if you find one of the three that you really love, and will want to go to, it may be worth coughing up a little more $$ if you can swing it. I just convinced myself to go gym shopping....

mskitty
10-19-2005, 12:01 AM
I'm awful as I have two gyms memberships right now. One option to consider is a membership at a community center or YMCA type facility. The community center closest to me is $35 per month for a single(24 when I was a member). The Y was around $40 per month as a single. I do know both of these places do offer financial assistance to those who qualify on limited incomes.

The for profit gyms are like dealing with sleazy used car salespeople. You need to be able to say no and walk away. The all female gym I belong to 35 minutes from my house (it was right next to a former employer) charged me an awful joining fee and $60 per month to go month to month when I started. I dropped my membership when the job ended. They kept sending me very good rates to renew IF I prepaid for a year. My annual renewal works out to about 17 a month now... figure if I go twice a month I'm still doing okay. Their personal trainers are awesome, all of the staff is very helpful with diagramming new workouts and they have a wide variety of classes.

The managers are usually the only ones who can grant flexibility on the pricing. When my single membership was up at Gold's Gym, I spoke directly to him. I had been paying 42 a month. No contract was 55 a month. We sat down with him and repeatedly told him his price was too high. Eventually we walked out with a three year prepaid contract that is about 32 a month total for both my husband and I (aka buy two years, third year is free-no refunds on third year). Be ready to walk away and talk to a manager. The Gold's I go to is pretty clueless on designing workouts and has a limited selection of classes. They have tons of machines, both cardio and weight. I usually go twice a week with my husband to lift. Since I'm already there, I usually force myself to do cardio. Finding something you like to do is the key to sticking with it.

Try not to pay a joining fee or cancellation fee. You receive nothing for your money. I've found prepaying seems to give the managers more flexibility to negotiate on price plus you don't have the headaches of trying to figure out their 60 day notice cancellation policies. Both places seem to offer their best renewal rates in October: $200-250 per year for a single membership. That tidbit might help when purchasing a new membership. I've never priced childcare at a gym so I have no clue what is reasonable for prices. Consider buying videos to workout at home (Collage Video is a great website). We also bought a Vision fitness non computerized elliptical for our house a couple years ago for about $750. It is very sturdy and not flimsy like most homeworkout equipment. A cheap substitue for a trainer is a subscription to FitnessRx ($21 a year). I think its the best true female fitness mag out there. Every issue has several workouts in it with lots of pictures to show you the workout. Its not very common at most newstands but Borders and Barnes&Noble both carry it last time I checked.

Now if I would actually go to the gym more than 10 times a month, I'd actually lose those 10 pounds of body fat that never seem to go away... Hope my experiences help you :)

MsKitty

Mum2MyMunchkins
10-19-2005, 08:54 AM
Have you thought about joining your local YMCA? I have been a member of the Y for 6 years now and I love it. Childcare, kids activities and sports, gym, fitness classes, pool, b-ball courts, we even have an indoor track here, etc. Great place for kids and parents to get fit! Also, if you work there, you get a discounted rate on classes and membership!

My husband teaches Spinning classes and I am a personal trainer there so we have a FREE membership. You can work at the front desk or even in the childcare dept. a few hours a week for the discount. It's a great way to save and still get that childcare w/ gym package! Good luck

Oh yea, I almost forgot.....have you looked into Stroller Strides or StrollerFit, they are awesome classes for moms and babies/kids using your stroller for cardio and bands to get fit. Very mom oriented classes, taught by a mom.....great way to get fit with other moms. I teach something similar here and I love it, I love it so much I am getting a franchise myself. So look into those 2 programs for yourself, then you don't have to worry about childcare b/c kids are with you when you workout!!

Best Regards,
Mommy2Twins
Owner of Little Dribbles Baby Boutique

knaidel
10-20-2005, 09:25 AM
Sarah,
Do you and your husband specifically want to join the same gym? I am not really familiar with your area of the city, but I just joined Women's Workout World in my area, and it is VERY reasonable. When I first called to speak to them about prices, i thought I mis-heard- it's so inexpensive. I think I paid a $40 fee, then $15 a month. Something really cheap.
http://w3body.com/html/clubs_locate.html

Check out the Hyde Park JCC. They might have some facillities. Membership is non-denominational.