PDA

View Full Version : I have identified part of my problem: my boss

kath68
11-05-2005, 11:35 AM
This is probably more of a b!tch, but here goes: Long story short: I had the best plans of getting to the gym after work last night, but had to stay at the office until 7:00 last night (on a Friday). Not because I was doing brilliant and interesting work, but because I had to sit silently on a conference call will he and another lawyer hammered out the language of one paragraph in a document. For two flipping hours! Why was I there? Because he needed help *emailing* the document to someone else when he was done. He doesn't know how to create a .pdf file. His secretary had already left for the day, and there was no one around to help him but me.

I am less annoyed by his lack of tech savvy (I am working on that). I am really tired of his piss-poor time management. This document was due out the door at two o'clock and was hours late. For him, working late is a sign of a devoted lawyer. He doesn't see that he is unecessarily doing this to himself (and to me).

So, my limited window of spare time that I set aside specifically for myself was tossed away. I am partly to blame because I let him do this and don't have clear boundaries when it comes to my time (a left over habit from before I had a kid and my time was more flexible), but clearly if I want to get regimented about working out, I can't do it after work. Either that, or I have to grow a back bone.

On the bright side, it is a beautiful day today and I am going on a hike with my brother. He has agreed to wear the baby back pack, so Charlie is coming, too!

psophia17
11-05-2005, 12:40 PM
I hope you have a great hike today, Kathy!

As far as your boss's sucky time management - when he does this and it gets out of hand, say something like "daycare closes in 5 minutes, and I'm the only one who can pick DS up. I've got to go - I can work on this again first thing Monday morning." I had a boss before I was married with kids who always expected me to stay late, and since I had almost nothing to do all day long, I outright refused one day. That was the last time I was expected to hang around doing almost nothing, and the first time the higher ups realized that I had a work ethic they could do something with.

kath68
11-05-2005, 10:26 PM
The hike was beautiful. Perfect day for it. Plenty of incline, got the heart rate up, it felt good! It felt even better that my brother carried Charlie the entire way!

Fortunately, my boss is a really nice, kid oriented guy, and totally understands the day care pick up situation. I have never had a problem when I have had to leave to pick up Charlie.

Friday, though, I had made the mistake of telling him early on in the day that I had arranged for DH to pick up Charlie. So he knew I didn't have to leave "early" -- by 6:00.

Just the day before I had told him about my renewed need to start a work out regimine, and he told me that he had just given up his own gym membership since he never had the time to go and (jokingly) stated that that is a lawyer's lot and I don't get to go either. But there is always some truth behind jokes like that.

It is really the time management thing that gets to me -- like you said, I sit around in the morning (and post here! LOL), and the afternoon heats up when he starts panicking with his deadlines.

I have really enjoyed working where I am, but I have grown out of the job. I am chomping at the bit to go into a partnership with a friend of mine from law school, but have to wait until DH's job situation stabilizes (that IS something worthy of a b!tching post). It would be great because I could work part time and make my own hours. One of these days...

psophia17
11-06-2005, 11:13 AM
Ooooh - I can't wait for you to strike out on your own! It's a scary thing to do, but so worth it.

I'm working on setting up a freelance copywriting venture these days - we're totally dependent on DH's paycheck since officially I'm not allowed to work until I'm a Canadian resident (still just a visitor), but it's exciting to think that as soon as I am official, I will be able to bring in some money doing something I'm good at.

Good luck to your DH - hope his situation stabilizes soon!