PDA

View Full Version : Hi-Newbie here!

memie
11-07-2005, 12:55 PM
I am not exactly new but never browse this section. I have decided to loss the rest of my pregnancy weight. I looked at the posts and amazed at the words of encouragement from other moms. You guys should started your own web based diet program. Anyway, here I am looking for supports and friendships to get through the fat moment of my life..lol..
BTW, I am thinking about using the diet program called the "nutrisystem" (www.nutrisystem.com)...anybody ever use that program. I am also a breastfeeding Ethan so I definetely do not want something to mess my milk supply. I called nutrisystem and they said that after 6 months breastfeeding I could start joining the nurtisystem without effecting my milk supply...is that true?

Memie
Mommy of Ethan

psophia17
11-07-2005, 01:24 PM
Hi Memie, welcome to MommyFit :)

I checked out the nutrisystem website, and I'm skeptical...for several reasons.

First, it's incredibly unprofessional of them to say that their diet plan will not affect your milk supply. It may, and it may not, depending on your body, but IME (which is limited) often the last few pounds didn't go anywhere until after they weaned, and that's how the body naturally works. In my case, I didn't drop an ounce until after DS weaned, no matter what I did with my diet. BF is smart like that - everything you consume goes to baby first, and then gets stored up for the baby's future needs. It's a system that's designed to keep babies from starving. Pretty much every BF mom I know has hung on to at least 5 pounds more than she wanted to until weaning.

The next reason I'm skeptical it will work is because of all the pre-packaged food. It's nice and simple, and convenient, but what happens when you make your goal and stop getting the pre-packaged food? You'll go back to eating like you did before the diet started, and put the weight you lost back on (and usually with some extra). It's good short term, but long term will probably be very hard to maintain.

Around here, we've had really good luck with Weight Watchers (this is what I'm doing), the Zone, and the South Beach Diet. I think there were some others but I can't remember what they were. Also, incorporating some amount of exercise helps a ton.

What does your day look like, most days? If you post about that, and what you go through, we're goood at suggestions on what you can try.

And whatever goes on - this board is awesome for support and encouragement. Less than a year ago, I was here posting on how I should start my weight loss...if I can do it, you can do it :)

kath68
11-07-2005, 02:04 PM
Welcome! I am new to this, too. I have no advice about nutrisystem, but glad that there is someone else starting out.

jerseygirl07067
11-08-2005, 12:30 AM
Hi Memie,

Welcome! ITA with what Petra said regarding the Nurtrisystem. It's definitely portion control, which is why it can be successful, but if you can't translate that into "real world eating" once you're off the system, the pounds could come right back.

I definitely think you could take a look at what you're eating for a few days and see if you can become more aware of the calories and portions you are eating. Sometimes a few modifications can help you cut a couple of hundred calories a day. That adds up quick!!

I gained a lot of insight into exactly how much I was eating once I started looking at labels, particularly the serving sizes on the label. I would often unknowingly be eating 2-3 servings of cereal. Usually a true serving is a cup, which is really not much. Or look at how much milk, juice, soda you're drinking. Often people are drinking 12-16 oz, as many glasses are that size, but a true serving is only 8 oz, for example.

Oh, regarding nursing a milk supply...every body is different but I believe it is recommended not to dip below 1500-1800 cals a day when nursing. (from the Kellymom.com site) That is the bare minimum. I was also told by two LCs to keep it up even higher if I was exercising a lot. So it sounds like Nutrisystem might be pretty low in cals, it's worth asking for sure. And your body may hold onto those last extra pounds until you stop BFing too, but again, every body is different.

HTH!
Marcy

memie
11-08-2005, 07:58 PM
Thanks so much for the info...I do admit that I don't like looking at the label and counting food here and there...so that's why I have been skeptical about weight watcher program...I was never "fat" until I was pregnant with DS and gained amazingly 40+lbs...I have lost most of it except the last 10 lbs that seem to stick with me...I have up-ed my activity recently like having a morning walk with DS for 30 minutes or so...I love wearing my baby, too...so I hope it will help me lose some weight...I am still curious about the nutrisystem...maybe (if I'm desperate enough) I'll try after the holiday...who knows how much weight do I need to lose by the end of the holiday...I will check-in from time to time to get the great words of encouragement from the best group...

Love
Memie
Mommy of Ethan

JulieL
11-09-2005, 07:17 PM
Hi Memie!

First, I have no knowledge of nurtisystem, but I know that the breastfeeding woman needs 500 extra calories than a non-breastfeeding woman. Usually your ravising appetite takes care of that and then some (if your like me!) so really you do need to be aware big time of what you are putting into your body. I highly recommend looking at your diet and going whole foods as MUCH as possible. Not only will you cut tons of calories but you'll omit bad stuff like lots of sodium, extra fats, extra sugars and so forth that you don't need. Once you start eating whole foods all processed foods taste just that - processed. Unfortunately we are a processed food society now - not what nature intended, so unless you were raised on whole foods, one must retrain your body on what tastes good. I now "think" I want something processed, say like Hamburger Helper, then I eat it and think - YUCK! Eating whole foods makes you eat more vegetables, fruits and whole grains - which you need. See my post on Getting Started, this is a good place to begin on eating right. I'm bfing now, and my appetite is HUGE, much more than when I was pregnant. So I'm trying to eat LOTS of fruit and veggies - though I do tend to eat more fruit - when I'm craving more food after a meal. I look forward getting to know you, and hope you find the encouragement you need to shed off more of your lbs! Oh remember often the bfing woman can hold onto 5-10 lbs of fat no matter what you do (as long as you are eating right) to keep up the fat reserves it needs to make milk. For me it was 5 lbs, and I lost it right after I weaned my son. HTH, and welcome!