PDA

View Full Version : Made the mistake of weighing myself

phirey
11-24-2005, 09:47 PM
OK I know I'm only 6 weeks postpartum, but I was losing the weight nicely for the first two weeks. I weighed today (before T'giving dinner, of course) and I've GAINED three pounds in the past four weeks. So much for breastfeeding doing the trick for you!

I know, per kellymom, you're not supposed to diet before the baby's two months old. I'm PETRIFIED of doing anything to jeapordize my milk supply. So what's the scoop on dieting while nursing? Does anyone like WW's nursing mother's plan?

I know exercise will be the key, but i can't figure out how to get out for a walk with two kids (my double jogger doesn't recline so the baby can't go in it until 3 months at the earliest). Anyone do pilates tapes? Do they help?

Thanks!

kath68
11-26-2005, 02:30 AM
Hugs to you -- this bf/weight thing is a PITA! Good for you for trying to figure out the exercise thing.

That said, give yourself a couple more weeks before you do anything (and get clearance from your doc). It really isn't that much time, and you need to be kind to yourself.

I can't personally address the WW nursing mother's plan, but I do know that other people have done it and liked it. Can't address the pilates tapes either -- I am not a tape kind of gal.

Start out slow on the walks, and use a carrier for the little one while you push your other little one in the stroller. The added weight of carrying the baby is a good workout, and will probably keep you from pushing too hard too fast on the walking. You can also do a lot of strength training with the babes around -- baby push ups where you are hovering over the baby, using the baby as a weight on your legs, arms, etc. Baby squats are good -- hold the baby in front of you, legs apart, and bend your knees (keeping your back straight and vertical).

Good luck! You can do this! Just remember to be kind to yourself, your body is going through so much right now.

phirey
11-26-2005, 03:08 PM
Thanks! What great advice on the carrier thing keeping me from pushing the walks too hard. And on the baby squats, when you say hold the baby in front of me, do you mean just cradle hold or at arm's length? I guess either is good, huh? The baby's got reflux though and is cranky cranky cranky so I don't see her being a good sport!

Thanks again!

kath68
11-29-2005, 12:10 AM
Re: baby squats -- however you have your arms (and baby) are fine. The main thing is to keep your back in a safe position (think good posture), and don't over-extend your knees (keep your knees over your feet as best you can). And of course, you want to keep your balance in check since you will be holding a kiddo.

Another thing you can try is to put your back up against a wall and slide down, so your are in a sitting position (without the chair). Hold it for as long as you can, then get back up. Try this without the kiddo first, just to know how hard it is to get back up to standing (you can get stuck down there if you aren't careful!). Repeat 3 times.

You can also do lunges, sit ups, all kinds of exercises, using the baby as a weight.

jerseygirl07067
12-01-2005, 12:15 AM
I have been doing lots of strength training, using videos(My faves are from Cathe.com) as well as lots of cardio and long walks on the stationary bike.

Regarding BFing and dieting, you don't have to "diet" per se, but just be mindful of the quality of food you're eating (higher in whole grains, fiber, less processed stuff, etc) and watch your portions. The extra 300-500 cals that is recommended to eat during BFing is really not much. Maybe a large peanut butter and jelly sandwich and a glass of milk, for example. I made the mistake after Sammy was born of continuing to eat way more than that. Try to eat 5 smaller meals a day and avoid "crescendo eating", meaning eating progressively more as the day goes on. I did that too the first time around as I'd be so busy during the day that once DH got home I'd eat more since I was freed up a bit. Also, try to have each meal include a good balance of carbs, healthy protein, and a bit of healthy fat to keep you more satisfied.

As for walking, could you sling one and then use the stroller with the other? I know that may be tough, since you may not be able to walk at as fast of a pace, but every little bit counts! And three months will be here before you know it!

Oh, one more thing, I actually prefer to weigh myself only once a month, since I know day to day I fluctuate a bit. Bloating and extra water weight can affect your weight by a few pounds or so, so I prefer to measure my inches instead. :)

Marcy

Rainasmommy
12-12-2005, 09:55 PM
I joined WW 6 weeks postpartum as a breastfeeder. I did it mainly, so I would not GAIN weight while nursing. I did not lose more than 1/2 to 3/4 lb. a week. I hadn't started to really lose weight until I stopped breastfeeding (4 months). I only have 9 lbs. to go until I reach my preprego weight, but I weighed the most I have ever had at the point. I have plenty more to lose. The WW program is very reasonable. I did not start to do heavy working out either. My daughter, too, had reflux as well I had a HORRIBLE milk supply. I did not want to hurt that by working out more than walking with the stroller! I stopped nursing at 4 months. I now have begun to lose weight at a higher rate and have strenuous workouts on our treadmill.

Just stick with it. If you feel like you need to regain some control, join WW. It really helped me at least not gain when I was nursing! I think it is a myth that women lose their weight faster nursing--not the women in my family!

Best of luck to you!