PDA

View Full Version : best strength training video

nd93
11-28-2005, 10:35 AM
I currently go to a class 1x/wk at my gym where you work with weights and do some ab work. There is only one of these classes that I can make it to during the week, so I'd like a dvd that is similar that I can do at home. Any recommendations? I've been looking at the firm videos, but there are sooooo many of them it's hard to tell which one would be "the one".

JulieL
11-28-2005, 11:31 AM
The absolute BEST strength training video's (really the best workout videos period) are by Cathe Friedrich - www.cathe.com

I LOVE, :

Pyramids lower body and upper body
Muscle Endurance
Muscle Max

these get all the body parts, there are others that are just as awesome for specific body parts. I did the Firm for a year a a half, and thought I was a Firm believer. Well the I found Cathe and haven't done a Firm workout since. Cathe is much better at cueing, and explaining how to properly workout. She also has much more exciting routines, and the music is MUCH MUCH MUCH better. I have gotten EXCELLENT results from Cathe, and have taken her routines that I've learned from her workouts to the gym as well: double value in my oppinion. In her workouts you can start at any weight amount that challenges you, and work up to where she is. I know Marcy loves her workouts too.

Here is a link that members of Cathe's forum made as a rating system from those who have actually done the workouts:

http://69.0.137.118/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=3&topic_id=46835&mesg_id=46835&page=

I hope this helps you out some :)

nd93
11-28-2005, 12:01 PM
Thank you so much!! That looks like exactly what I want - we do pyramids in my class. I just looked it up on amazon - holy cow it's expensive. $45! My library does not have it but based on your review I may just have to get it anyway.

ETA - I read in the amazon review of pyramids that she uses a barbell. Do you use one? I don't have one in the house and don't want to buy one, just no room to store something like that. Could you do that part with just weights? I have a stability ball already, but no step.

JulieL
11-28-2005, 02:01 PM
These are expensive but that video is 2 workouts - one upper body and one lower body. But it's not just two workouts actually it's 5 workouts. Cathe has "smart" dvd options on her workouts, part of why she is all the rave. The full workout is almost an hour, but you can pick an option she has for a shorter workout. The shorter workout you can pick to pyramid up or down only instead of both. Also there is a scrambled bonus workout that is an hour long that includes upper body and lower body segments of the workouts. You get SO many choices, not to mention on some dvd systems you can schedule the order of the workout on many of her dvd's.

http://shop.cathe.com/product_p/522.htm

click on premixes and that should show you her many options! Totally worth the extra $. Also buy from her cause you get 90 days to return if there should be a defect (I think it's 90 days). Anyway I can't talk these workouts up enough!

ETA:

you can use dumbells just fine, and you really do need the step for the step ups (so just one exercise - at least that I remember), maybe see if you have a stool that would work until you can get a step of your own.

nd93
11-28-2005, 02:04 PM
I checked out the clip on her website and it looks *just* like my class, only we do no work with a barbell or stability ball. It's on my amazon wish list for Christmas now! Thank you so so much Julie for the great advice.

jerseygirl07067
12-01-2005, 12:04 AM
I totally agree with JulieL on the Cathe workouts. They are awesome!

My faves are Muscle Max (total body weight workout), Pyramid Lower Body and Pyramid Upper Body. I just love, love, love the pyramids. :)I use dumbells instead of a barbell and to save money I have taped a lot of her other workouts from FitTv.

Her website is great too!

Marcy

nd93
12-17-2005, 07:08 PM
If you could choose only one, which one? Or is it worth it to have both, or is it redundant?

Thanks a bunch!!