PDA

View Full Version : Introduction and Confessional

annasmom
12-28-2005, 01:38 PM
O.k., here it goes! I have never posted in this forum, but I thought that if I did, and "outed" myself to you all, then maybe I will actually do something about getting in shape!

I am currently about 10-15 pounds heavier than I was prebaby, although my "ideal" weight is probably 5-10 pounds lighter than that even. Even worse than the extra weight and what REALLY bugs me however, is how out of shape I am! I get winded doing the least bit of exercise. This is really troubling because I feel very unhealthy and I believe the longer I allow this to occur, the harder it will be to change (if at all!)

My problem (as if there were only one!) is that I am really lazy. I am lazy because my dh and I bought an very expensive eliptical machine in the Summer that I have used TWICE! (I had told him at the time that if we didn't use it I was going to sell it on Ebay!) I just do not know how you mommas do it! I wake up to babies crying, so I do not have time in the morning. I guess I could try exercising during nap time, but sometimes my dc do not nap at the same time. At night, I am exhausted.

So, here I am. I am not really interested in losing a ton of weight. My primary focus is health. My DH and I want to TTC soon, so I also want to start an exercise program so that I can continue to exercise through my next pregnancy. I noticed that there are weekly check-ins on this board and I think that would be really helpful for me (if you don't mind me barging in!). I need some accountability IYKWIM?? Thanks for listening!

nd93
12-28-2005, 06:50 PM
Welcome to MommyFit Eileen!

chiqanita
12-28-2005, 10:51 PM
Hi Eileen! I hear ya loud and clear.
I have 15 m.o. twins and I've been very tired ever since the pregnancy. I've had a treadmill in my garage for about 2 years. I only started using it regularly this past November. Oh wait, I stopped about 2 weeks ago because I hurt my neck/back.
I am sooooo out of shape it isn't funny. No really, I was getting winded just walking up to the second floor of our house. I was exercising during the morning nap. I just put them both down by 11am and then I rush down to the treadmill for a 35 min walk. They're usually awake by the time I'm done.

I came to this forum for similar reasons, want to lose 10 now 15 pounds. I find the check-in keeps me honest.

Welcome and feel free to let it all out here.

psophia17
12-28-2005, 11:13 PM
Welcome Eileen :)

First off, definitely come check in with us - it's wonderful to know you're not alone, and when you're having problems it's amazing the amount of support and help that comes your way.

Second, I hear you on the tired thing. After DS was born, I was always exhausted - it was only when I started working out and eating healthier than I felt energy come back to me...who am I kidding, I had never worked out or eaten healthy before, so I never had energy before. All of a sudden (well, after several months) it was like I was a new person, with motivation to go and do things, to be strong and fit.

I hit a rough patch over the summer that didn't help me much, and now I'm dealing with all sorts of crap, including being barely pg and feeling like dirt, but with the support of the ladies on this board I lost 36 lbs in a year. Not quite as much as I hoped, but I'm back to trying to lose virgin fat after DC#2 is born this summer...

If you can stand it - a good place for you to start is with 5-10 minutes on the elliptical machine every day. Just suck it up and do it - where-ever you can squeeze it in. And drink as much water as you can stomach. Those two things alone will help get you on your way to meeting your goal - and always remember that YOU CAN DO IT! :)

jerseygirl07067
12-30-2005, 09:23 PM
I totally hear ya! What I find helps is to set a goal. Like a 5-K or a mini triathlon, or find a friend who you could work out with that you wouldn't dare cancel on, KWIM?

I have a stationary bike and initially exercised when both were napping. Now that their naps aren't always at the same time, I try to hop on for 30-40 minutes while they're awake and playing. Luckily Sammy seems to have learned not to bother me while I'm on the bike. And I make sure Julia has a bunch of toys in front of her too.

FWIW, I find the check ins here do keep me accountable. By the time thursday comes and I haven't done much that week, I think, "Uh oh, I want to be able to post a good report on the board". Then it motivates me to get off my duff.

Welcome and looking forward to having you check in with us!

Oh, I just thought of this...one of the things that initially motivated me was watching "I Lost It" on Discovery Health. Many of those people lost a ton of weight through healthy eating and exercise. And many of them weighed less than my target weight. I thought, if they could lose 100, I could certainly lose 25-30. (And I have, as well as reshaped my entire body.) Another big motivator for me aside from losing weight and being healthy, was to look younger. I find that my body went from looking like age 45 to age 25!!

Another motivational site is bodyforlife.com. The befores and afters are amazing!!

Good luck!!
Marcy