PDA

View Full Version : didnt i see someone post......

bcky2
01-04-2006, 12:15 PM
that they were on south beach or were going to start? i am starting next monday and wanted to see if anyone else was on it that may be able to swap recepies with and helpful hints. anyone....anyone.....

jerseygirl07067
01-04-2006, 10:12 PM
Wasn't me, but if you do a search it will pull up old posts with some links to some good SBD sites.

I read the book a while back just to learn more about it, as I was considering trying it at the time. What's been working for me is a modified version of the Zone.

Marcy

sidmand
01-06-2006, 05:19 PM
I didn't post, but I did just restart the South Beach diet on Jan. 1. I say restart because I did it a couple of years ago and lost 30 lbs. Since DS, it's all pretty much crept back on. But the SBD worked really well for me. I'm diabetic and it's pretty much how I should be eating anyway. At the time, I found it fairly easy (not the first two weeks--those got pretty boring!).

I don't really cook much though, so I'm not sure I have any recipes to swap. And the first couple of weeks...well, there's just a lot of eggs! And wouldn't you know, DH knew that I never had enough fruit in the house and bought me three months of a fruit-of-the-month club. Well, no fruit for the first two weeks! What am I going to do with all those oranges? Hopefully they'll last.

So I don't know about recipes, but if you want any support, I'm there. I'm hoping this goes as well this time (I could stand to lose a bit more than 30 lbs, but I would be happy with 30). If I can think of any helpful hints, I'll let you know!

Right now I just keep reminding myself that I can do ANYTHING for two weeks and this isn't bad. And I'm trying to avoid food commercials because I'm a sucker for anything I see--oh, a pizza commercial, yeah, that sounds good. No, bad commercial...

Debbie

Mom to Sawyer!
http://lilypie.com/baby1/060607/0/3/1/-5/.png[/img] ([img)

Lynnie
01-06-2006, 09:12 PM
I'm not starting south beach, but I am going to start one that is similar, and has the same kind of two week thing at the beginning (basically no flour, sugar, dairy for two weeks, then gradually adding some dairy back, yada yada yada, plus adding ground flax seeds, drinking pure cranberry juice in water all day, having two eggs for breakfast, 3 meals, 2-3 snacks, etc) so I'd love to at least encourage each other. I might have some recipes, since I would think anything I could eat, you could eat.

I did this for two weeks during the summer, and lost about 10 pounds, and had only another 4-5, and mostly toning to do to be back in all my old clothes. (and I cheated a little on probably over half the days) I was going to morph into a modified zone, or WW, but I don't know what happened, and then the holidays hit, and yowza. Still didn't gain all ten back, but I am not where I was.

I'd love to try the body for life program that someone here mentioned - Marcy I think ?? - I look at the pictures and get really motivated. But, since I can't exercise because of my stupid back at the moment, I am going to wait to try that. I do look at the before and after pictures though, to motivate me, and if a coworker had not brought in an entire box of baklava and other mediterranean pastries to work, I would have been ok this week. (sigh).

When I did it over the summer, I loved turkey burgers, and would drizzle the flax oil on that, and also would buy organic chicken breasts and cook them on the george foreman grill and they were really delicious. When I felt deprived, I would buy stone crab or shrimp. mmmm. And I made alot of greek salads (no cheese) but with cucumbers, tomatoes, red and yellow peppers, a few black olives, oregano, flax oil, red wine vinegar, and lemon juice. For snacks I would have apples slices with cinamon sprinkled on it. yum. I also found it imperative to plan my meals, and splurged on delivery from a healthy restaurant, or would order a grilled chicken breast from the little cafeteria thingy upstairs where I work.

Long answer, but would love to (more briefly) cheer each other on next week. And, when I come across good recipes I'll let you know. If so many other people can do it, we can do it !! (as long as there is no baklava until I am over my cravings)

bcky2
01-06-2006, 09:19 PM
do you have the body for life book? i have it and it sounds great but way too much exercise for me ;) i just went shopping for next week and saw alot of things that i am excited to try. my store has some frozen crab meat-real not the fake stuff!!! i cant wait :9

do we want to do a weekly update post like petra does but for low carb/healty carb diets? maybe something where we can post something new we may have tried or what kept us going. we could do it every monday. does that sound good?

let me know if you dont have that body for life book and would like to borrow it :)

bcky2
01-06-2006, 09:22 PM
i think a weekly support thread for thoes of us that are carb challenged would be great. someone to say hey, that pizza would taste so horrible, you dont want that ;)

as for the eggs, i just got 3 dozen for the first week as dh and the boys love eggs too :)

bcky2
01-06-2006, 09:23 PM
thanks! i have heard that the zone is hard to stick to and is very strict, do you find it to be? i have never read the zone.

jerseygirl07067
01-07-2006, 01:55 AM
I don't since I modify it to fit me. It's 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat which is close the way I like to eat anyway. I add a bit more carbs at times, but just make sure to have most of my meals close to that ratio. I don't obsess about it "being in the zone" per se, as the book gets pretty specific, talking about blocks, etc. Too complicated for me.

You generally have 1/3 of your meal come from lean protein, the other 2/3 from low glycemic healthy carbs, and then add a bit of monounsturated fat in the form of nuts, oils, or avocado, etc. Or you can make it low fat dairy. That's the simplified version.

Overall, it's very high in veggies and fruits. It is low calorie because you're eating lots of foods that are nutrient dense, fiber dense, but not so high on calories.

I actually read SBD and thought the philosphies were quite similar. Overall they're not that different, IMO..What I like about the Zone philosphy is that if you do cave and eat something that's a no no, you can limit the bad effect on your blood sugar by consuming it with a protein. And then you're always one meal away from being back in the Zone...

Marcy

sidmand
01-07-2006, 08:36 PM
I would be up for posting weekly. It would help keep me honest, right? I'm planning to weigh-in on Sundays (although I keep trying to hide the scale and it never works!).

I'm loving the shrimp rings. That's been a good snack/appetizer for me. I don't really do the cocktail sauce, so that's a good one.

And I've ALWAYS loved Polly-O string cheese. I eat it all year round anyway and now it's just moreso.

Debbie

Mom to Sawyer!
http://lilypie.com/baby1/060607/0/3/1/-5/.png[/img] ([img)

Lynnie
01-08-2006, 10:13 AM
I would LOVE to borrow it, if you wouldn't mind. Of course, who knows when I'll be able to exercise, but hopefully it'll be soon !

The weekly check ins are really for everybody, and thats where I was checking in before I fell off the wagon. So, we could all check in there, and then when we need help, just post another thing. Or have another thread of check ins - I'm game for either. I am really looking forward to getting back in shape and on track, but definitely need support and inspiration !

"talk" to you monday !s

bcky2
01-08-2006, 07:32 PM
we can all check in on the big thread, that way we can encourage others as well :) gotta keep on the pregnant woman ya know ;)

um, i believe that i still have your addy from the santa thing so i will send that out to you this week!

Lynnie
01-09-2006, 01:49 PM
cool, thanks so much ! and let me know how much postage is, and I'll send you some paypal. I know it won't be much, but you shouldn't have to pay when you are the one doing a favor, you know ?!

youngmommy
01-09-2006, 07:17 PM
I'm on South Beach.
(Not that I don't cheat occasionally,
but it has worked well for me.)

As for recipes, I get mine from this site:

Here's the forum:
http://www.southbeach-diet-plan.com/forum/index.php

Click on "Recipe and Food Area" and there are stickys at the top.
One is called: "Recipe Summary"

It is a huge recipe index for the site, broken up by category.

There is another sticky for recipes using beans, and another one with all soups. I've found making a big pot of soup help me lose weight in so many ways: it's easy to re-heat, it's easy to make low-fat and low-carb, and I usually get a couple servings of veggies, which is sometimes hard for me to do on a typical day. I'm not too much of a veggie person (because I'm a really lazy cook) but soup really helps out with that.

Good luck on the beach!

bcky2
01-10-2006, 01:01 PM
thanks for the great link :)

bcky2
01-13-2006, 03:11 PM
lynn, i have been so lazy!!! i am just going to the po tomorrow :( i am so sorry about the delay. i just wanted to let you know that i am sending it still :)

Lynnie
01-13-2006, 04:25 PM
oh, please ! I totally understand - whenever you can, when its not too much of a hassle !

and besides, it gives me a good excuse for not having started yet !!

maybe i'll get it after the back doctor see's me (tues) and clears me (hopefully) for exercise ! :)

Lynnie
01-20-2006, 12:02 AM
I got the book today - thank you so much !!

I think I'll try to start it on the 30th of January, since I am going to visit my sister in Houston for this weekend (and mon and tues) and then it is my birthday later on next week, and I can't see dieting, as I'll already be bummed enough at the number !

So, after I do a 12 week challenge, I will send the book back (unless you need it sooner) and tell you how it worked.

Oops. Assuming my stupid back will let me exercise I'll start it on the 30th. If not, then within a few weeks.

I am going to go to bed and read it right now. Thanks again, and if you need it back sooner, please let me know.

Here's to a good rest of the week on south beach !

jerseygirl07067
01-20-2006, 05:57 PM
Hey Lynnie...

Let me know how you like that Body for Life book. I did not follow that particular eating plan, but did work out very similar to the way it was suggested in the book. I found the workouts to be KEY for me. The weight training has totally reshaped me and I continue to get compliments all the time! ( I didn't belong to a gym, so did my own workouts at home, and then starting working out to Cathe also)

So I just want to say that if you stick with it, it really, really works! Hopefully your back will feel better and you can start soon. :)

Marcy

bcky2
01-20-2006, 07:46 PM
keep it as long as you like. no need for it back really, now that i am on the beach :) you do have to let me know how you like it!