PDA

View Full Version : Question about nursing and weight loss..

lmariana
01-12-2006, 11:37 AM
Hey ladies! So, I'm 3 months post-partum now. I lost ALL my baby weight by 4 weeks PP without doing too much. THEN...something happened and I've gained 15 pounds back! So now, I'm about the same weight that I was at 9 months preggo.

What forms, if any, of dieting are safe to do while nursing? Any other personal stories to share if you've been in my shoes? I'm so upset! My self-image is sucking right now, and I can barely find the motivation to put on real clothes (mainly because none of them fit).

Just need some hugs and good thoughts. :)

Mariana
Mom to Gabe (8/03) and Atom (10/05)
www.heinzandmariana.com
http://www.geocities.com/kellysb/images/medals/awardbar2-6wks.jpg[p]
http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style3,Gabe-spc-and-spc-Atom.png

Lynnie
01-12-2006, 12:03 PM
Ok, before I hug you can I give you a quick kick for (a) losing it all in 4 weeks, and (b) only gaining 15 pounds in your pregnancy ??!! A woman at work is like that, and I want to kick her too. Alright, got that off my chest.

Although I gained MUCH more than 15 pounds during my pregnancy, I can totally relate to having a relatively small amount of weight to lose, but being totally bummed out about it and not being able to wear real clothes, etc. So, <<HUGS>> your way.

I believe there are alot of diets that take nursing into account. I think WW does, and that might be a good one to start, because it really helps you look closely at your food choices. I used to eat bowls of cereal at night, after having a dinner of leftovers from my kid's plates, and when I realized how many WW points each bowl of cereal was - and I would keep filling up the bowl till the milk was gone, meaning 3-5 actual bowls of cereal - YIKES.

I wouldn't try anything drastic, but maybe just focus on having three healthy meals, and three healthy snacks each day, but make sure they are balanced with lotsof veggies, some protein and some good carbs. Plently of fluids, obviously, and a good mix of foods. I think if you pay more attention to the choices, that could really help. Also, you could try to step up the exercise, like go on long walks if you don't live in a freezing cold part of the country.

And, while you are on your journey back down to your old size, you could always run to target, spend a very small amount of money buying a cute enough outfit on sale that fits you now, then vow to donate it to charity once you are back in your own stuff. (Or we could all put that kind of stuff on the swap board) There is nothing like having nothing attractive to wear to make you feel even worse about yourself, I know !

Hang in there, and don't worry, you'll be able to get back !

jerseygirl07067
01-12-2006, 03:22 PM
Mariana,

Sorry to hear about the recent weight gain. 15 pounds is a big gain in a short amount of time. Do you think some of it could just be water retention? Since the way it works, you have to consume 3500 excess calories than what you burn off over time to gain a pound of fat. That's a lot in a short time. But I don't know what your eating habits are. Sometimes after indulging on the holiday types of food, our bodies retain water.

I would definitely take a look at your eating habits and portions. With Sammy, I too lost lots initially, and was walking 3-4 days a week. Then, it got hot out, I stopped walking, and also found myself "crescendo eating". In other words, I'd be so preoccupied with taking care of Sammy and working (which I did from home at the time) that I'd eat a lot more after 5 or 6 or so, when DH got home and I actually had more time to sit down and eat. I gained 5-10 pounds back or so. Look at serving sizes on labels, and see how much you're really eating or drinking. And of course, this goes without saying, go for healthy whole grain carbs, more fruits, veggies, lean protein, and lots of water. Nutrient dense foods are key, avoid calorie dense empty calorie foods, so your baby is getting good nutrition too.

My personal feel about "dieting" is that is should be more of a lifestyle change, so you lose those last 15 gradually. Anything that makes you lose too fast could cause you to be losing muscle, not necessrily fat. The one exception is the initial water weight that is sometimes shed with healthier eating :)

With that in mind, a lot of people follow Weight watchers. I actually follow a plan somewhat similar to the Zone, which is 40-30-30 (carbs, fat, protein). I've modified it a bit, so it's not so exact and easier for me to follow. Also, I've upped the calories, since the real Zone plan is very low in calories. You can do South Beach but skip phase 1. You also don't want to limit your calories too much, as it can hamper your supply. Don't go below 1800 I think, but there is more about it on Kellymom.com under nutrition for mom. Also, you have to adjust that number if you are working out or exercising.

And I can't say this enough, but exercise is key, even if you get in only 10 minutes a day, that's way more than nothing. The minutes really add up.:)

Sorry, I didn't write more. I have to go feed Julia, she is crying.

Also, I am so glad nursing has worked out for you!! I read some of your posts in the feeding forum.

HTH a bit,
Marcy

jerseygirl07067
01-12-2006, 11:24 PM
Ok, one more thing I didn't think of Mariana...could you be pregnant again? DH was actually looking over my shoulder tonight while I was on the computer and saw my response and your post.

That was his thought...I guess it's possible. I've heard of a few moms who have gotten pregnant when their baby was as young as 8 weeks!!

Oh, and edited to add..two words for cheap transitional clothing...Old Navy. Doesn't hold up tremendously over the long haul but you can find good stuff cheap just for the interim.

Marcy

JulieL
01-13-2006, 10:47 AM
ITA with Marcy, she gave great info. I would check your calorie intake. While a bf woman needs 500 extra calories, we usually take in more cause we are hungry. It also be your milk supply is less cause it's matured (I've noticed this myself in recent weeks, I think we are also the same pp) and doesn't need as many calories as it did, but your still taking in the same amount causing weight gain
(not unusual btw). Any way besides exercise to lose lbs it to look at every thing you eat/drink and how much sugar is in it - it's shocking what food companies but in food! Keep your chin up you've got some good advice here - great places to start! HUGS!

lmariana
01-13-2006, 12:03 PM
>Ok, one more thing I didn't think of Mariana...could you be
>pregnant again? DH was actually looking over my shoulder
>tonight while I was on the computer and saw my response and
>your post.

NOOOOO!!!! Actually, I've wondering the same thing. I've been nauseous a lot lately, lots of headaches, fainting, etc. We've been using protection, so I doubt I'm actually pregnant.

I have a Dr's appt today to get checked out, and hopefully he can offer some good advice for my situation.

About my eating habits...I don't think that's really it. I eat really well, low-sugar and reduced carbs. No sodas or candy, just lots of chicken caesar salads and oatmeal! I've had some odd hair growths, migraines, joint pain, insomnia, etc lately which is making me think something hormonal may be up.

I'll see what the doc says today! (BTW- since I posted this, I added on another SIX freakin' pounds)

Mariana
Mom to Gabe (8/03) and Atom (10/05)
www.heinzandmariana.com
http://www.geocities.com/kellysb/images/medals/awardbar2-6wks.jpg[p]
http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style3,Gabe-spc-and-spc-Atom.png

jerseygirl07067
01-13-2006, 03:30 PM
Mariana,

I'm glad you're getting checked out by an MD . It sounds like something medical is going on. It is impossible to gain 6 pounds of body fat in this short of time, so is there some type of fluid retention going on? Are you getting swelling in your legs, feet, or hands? Just wondering, as you mentioned the other symptoms too.

Let us know what the Dr. says. I'm very curious, and I hope the visit goes well. :) Just know that if it is something medical, it can be treated, and the weight will come back off again.

Marcy