PDA

View Full Version : Do I Want A Personal Trainer? Do I Need A Personal Trainer?

chiqanita
01-13-2006, 12:24 PM
Okay, I'm going to come at this from another angle...the squishy belly that is.

I've decided that the reason I am having upper/lower back issues is because I have no idea if I'm doing my exercises properly. Back in Nov I started doing crunches, arm exercises, and baby-lifting (as exercise) along with walking for 30 minutes daily. For a while there I was doing well and feeling better than I had in a long time.

About 3 weeks ago I woke up with severe throbbing pain in my neck/upper back/shoulder and lower back. I saw my doc and still seeing a chiro. Am doing much better but still experience some pain. Can't completely heal hefting my two angels (30 pounds each) around all day. To help, DH has been doing a lot of the hefting when home. I just really want to get stronger and fit.

Anway, VLSS, I think I want to try a personal trainer. I know nothing about personal trainers other than they come to your house and guide you through exercises. Does anyone have experience on the subject? My Bday is coming up and I thought it would be nice to get as a gift. At least 6-10 sessions just to get me going...even 2 would be appreciated. I think it'll be motivating.

Help?

Lynnie
01-13-2006, 01:32 PM
I had one. I loved it.

I think it would be a great gift.

Just be sure the trainer isn't a nut job, cause a bad trainer can injure you worse than you can injure yourself sometimes !!

But a good trainer teaches you how to do exercises correctly, can stretch you out really well, can motivate you, and will give you some routines to do

kath68
01-16-2006, 12:22 AM
Hey buddy! I have had a personal trainer before, and love it. The trainer was connected with the gym I (am supposed to) go to. I am not sure how you find one if you don't go to the gym, but I would try to find a referral. And since you are dealing with a physical condition, I would try to find one that specializes in injuries and rehab. One that has had a baby, for sympathy's sake, wouldn't be bad, either. PTs vary a lot in their world view -- you don't want a body-builder type, just a fitness person.

I would recommend that you go for at least 6 appointments, once a week, to see if it works for you. That's enough time that you will likely see a difference, and that will motivate you to keep working out on your own. Plus, you will feel more comfortable with your routine. And you would probably get a discount for buying in bulk.

chiqanita
01-16-2006, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the input ladies!
Working on it as we speak!

mskitty
01-16-2006, 11:48 PM
I've worked with three different trainers (2 female/1 male). All three were certified and two also had degrees in physical therapy/rehab.

I think it's a little like finding a hairdresser - personality makes a huge difference. I really clicked with my first trainer and worked out with Erica for two months at the women's gym until she found a great job in cardiac PT/rehab. She really motivated me and I had awesome results. She was a like a perky cheerleader( come one you can do another 30 second sprint) and pushed my physical limits. She measured me once a week and made me give an accounting of my food choices between training sessions in addition to the 30 minute training sessions. The two trainers I worked with to maintain the loss just didn't click... it was more like they were telling me to do the exercises whereas Erica would count every rep and be very encouraging.

Most trainers offer a free or minimal cost initial session. I would audition a few different ones to find one that works well for your personal situation.

MsKitty