PDA

View Full Version : Need your infinite wisdom

saschalicks
02-01-2006, 07:36 PM
Hello Ladies,
Well Monday will be 2 months since Eli was born and I have 50lbs to lose. I'm going back to work on the 27th, and I'm going full time. I want to be realistic and give myself until year end to lose it all. I would like to be halfway by June, but more would be great. I've been going back and forth between whether I'm going to join Curves or Weight Watchers. I can't afford both. I need to get exercising b/c quite frankly I've never done a lick of exercise in my whole life. I'm also going to be 30 this year and the thought of being fat AND old (no offense to anyone 30 or over it's just I feel a mid-life crisis coming on) is quite scary. I never had a weight problem until 25. Suddenly, the weight started packing on and here I am. I do know that in the last two years I've had two children, but I don't want to stay this way.

DH wants to start phase I of South Beach on Monday (he lost 40lbs on it and gained 20 back while I was pregnant with Eli), and I think I'd like to also, but I just know that's not enough.

All advice on how to start losting weight is very welcomed. Thanks for listening.

JulieL
02-02-2006, 10:31 AM
This is my post from Jan last year, it's a good place to start :)

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=59&topic_id=3643&mesg_id=3643&listing_type=search

Lynnie
02-02-2006, 01:51 PM
I think slowly but surely is the way to go. I have never done WW or curves, but between the two, I would go with curves so you would have a gym to work out in. This forum, in my opinion, is as good for me as a WW meeting would be. And, if you want to try following the WW points thing, there are ways to do it without joining.

I think lifestyle changes, even small ones, are the most important thing for long term weight loss. Not that I have mastered all of the changes I need to make - far from it - but, I am more aware, and have learned the hard way that for many people, each decade or so that goes by can pack on another 10 pounds that can be hard to lose.

I had my little jumps at sometime in my 20's, and then 34 or 35. I didn't eat more or anything, although I may have started exercising less. So, look out in another five years or so.

But, you are not fat and old. You can lose the weight, and 30 is still pretty darn young. Although, I hear you with the midlife crisis thing.... I just had the next decade birthday punch me in the face, and I can tell you the anticipation was the worst thing. Of course, I haven't had to fill out a form asking my age yet. but i digress.

So, I say start the south beach, (and make any modifications you'd have to if you are nursing or anything) and start walking as much as you can. If you can do it everyday, that would be great, and you would see a difference. I work full time and have two little guys, so know how hard it is, and still have to get fully motivated myself. But look at some of the success stories on this board - it CAN be done !!

good luck !

jerseygirl07067
02-04-2006, 12:36 AM
Welcome Candice!

I think JulieL's post has excellent info and I second it all. :) I came here after having baby #2 and finding myself still having close to 30 pounds to lose, after the initial baby weight came off. I was a 35 year old in what looked like a 50 year old body. Untoned, flabby, bleh.

You can totally do this. My philosophy is to try to make healthy lifestyle changes. If you like South Beach or Weight watchers, adapt it to include the foods you like too. Anything where you completely deprive yourself of what you like is bound to lead to failure. Think, lifestyle change for the long term. Start out making small changes and go from there. (I started with a modified version of the Zone, because I felt like I could keep the style of eating up forever. I modified it to add in more calories because I am nursing)

The first thing is to analyze and watch what you're eating. Look at what you're eating compared to what a true portion or serving size is. Many of us, and I was sooo guilty of this, eat way more than a single portion! Most drinking glasses are 12 -16 oz for example, whereas a serving size of milk or juice is 8 oz. Look at serving sizes for cereal, pasta, meats, etc and you will be surprised! Also, try to switch the "white stuff" to a healthier, whole grain version. You will feel fuller, more satisfied, and your blood sugar will remain more level, hopefully lessening cravings. Use smaller plates, it gives the illusion of much more food! And try to divide your meals up into 5 or 6 smaller meals a day. If that doesn't work with your schedule, you could make your meals smaller and just add some simple snacks. This keeps your metabolism going.

As for exercise, it will double your results for sure. I truly believe you get your best result with both. See if you can gradually increase your activity level. Walking with the stroller, running, biking are things you can do. I am a huge proponent of weight training, as it really boosts your metabolism! Weights have reshapen my body beyond what I thought I was capable of. In fact, even when I was running 10 years ago, I had excess in my buttocks and hips, but the weights have really taken care of that!

Just so you know you can do it! I did lose the 30 pounds, and have gone from a tight size 12 down to a 4/6. It took me several months but the loss was gradual and steady. And I feel like my body now looks like that of a fit 25 year old!

If you have questions, keep posting here. I find this forum very motivating!! And join us for weekly check ins. :

Marcy

clc053103
02-12-2006, 04:44 PM
COngratulations on taking the first step towards a slimmer, healthier you!

I had 20 lbs left to lose at 3 months. I joined WW. I lost the 20 lbs and 5 more in 15 weeks. The program is really awesome, IMO. I was an avid exerciser, but like many avid exercisers, thought that working out a lot meant I could just eat whatever I wanted- and it's just not true.

I'm now working on the weight I should have lost before the PG now. And I'm so motivated that I won't stop! To be honest, I work out less now than before WW (b/c I went back to work, DS was catching colds from the gym nursery, often too cold to take DS out- the reasons are limitless) and the weight is coming off faster!

My DH Also wanted to try South Beach instead- he had 12 lb of "Baby weight" himself. But we both did it before, and both gained it all back as soon as we started eating normally. Instead, DH joined WW with me and has lost 26 lbs so far. WE're a WW team! It will teach you how to eat for the rest of your life.

If you can't afford WW, you can still count calories and follow the great advice PP provided. Just be accountable for what you eat- write every morsel down!

Best of luck to you on your journey!