PDA

View Full Version : Running questions

niccig
03-06-2006, 02:25 PM
Ok, so I've decided to start running a few times a week. I've never run, always been a "fast walk" kinda person. I am fitter than I've been before, and I know it will give me results, especially in the legs. So for those of you that run, what should a beginner do?

Can I use the moutain buggy for now? It's not a proper jogger, their website says light running is OK, and I'm just doing a slow jog. DS is 14 months. I have to run with him, otherwise I'll never have the time. If I keep it up/get faster I could look for a jogger.

I've looked at a few running programs on the web. I've been doing run for 60 seconds, fast walk for 90 seconds. I just count to myself. I run slightly downhill for the first 15 mins or so, and then coming home it's uphill so I had to walk more and run less.

Running on the sidewalk - yay or nay. One road is a little busy and I don't want to run with DS on the side of the road. I can adjust the route so instead of a loop, I just run down and back one street that is quieter and doesn't have a sidewalk.

How many times a week? I've only gone once so far, as I just started last Friday. I enjoyed it, didn't enjoy the hill, but I ended up running/walking for about 25 mins - not bad.

Thanks for your help,

Nicci

tarahsolazy
03-06-2006, 11:02 PM
Disclaimer, I am not currently running! However, I ran a lot for several years, including 3 marathons in 18mo. My last race was a half marathon (13.1 miles) when I was 7 weeks pregnant with DS. I'm planning on starting up again this spring.

I used the GAlloway method, which is pretty much what you are describing. Check out www.jeffgalloway.com . The walk breaks really revolutionized my running, I became injury free and increased my marathon time by 30 minutes. He's got a great book on running, for all levels.

I think the MB is fine, with the wheel locked, of course. If you get seriously into it, you can always look into a jogger then.

Start with three times a week, and do only 20 to 30 minutes each time, and build up from there.

Sidewalk: not a great idea long term, but YMMV. Concrete is the toughest surface for your feet and legs. I'd do the quieter street once or twice a week to rest your knees.

Good Luck!

jerseygirl07067
03-07-2006, 12:37 AM
I second the Galloway method. I too am a previous runner like Tarah and used the Galloway method to build up to running some marathons also.

Way to go on your accomplishment so far! It will get so much easier as you continue, you will be amazed...Running really helped me to sleep better and deeper, as well as look really refreshed and healthy...not to mention all the other perks!

Marcy

niccig
03-07-2006, 04:13 PM
Thanks Tarah and Macy. I'll check out the Galloway method. I don't think I'll be running any marathons, but you never know! I just need to get more exercise in when DS is awake. I try to use DS's naps for doing things around the house, surfing here and just having a break, so running with him is a good option.
I'll post back with more questions when I need to.
Nicci