PDA

View Full Version : when does floppy tummy skin shrink?

mctlaw
05-17-2006, 09:05 AM
I am a first time mom and 8 weeks postpartum and just a couple pounds over my pre-pregnancy weight. However, I have a pouch on my lower tummy that just seems like extra skin from being stretched. How long does this take to shrink back to normal, or does it ever? Anything you can do to helpit? I feel like a marsupial! Thanks!

JulieL
05-17-2006, 11:13 AM
It does get better. But you're only 8 weeks postpartum so give yourself a break :) Really it depends on your genetics how much your skin will hang. But over time developing your abdominals with help BIG time. Plank work is know to be EXCELLANT for helping with the lower abdominals. Also it depends if you are breastfeeding, which keeps things more loose there as well. After my first, I really noticed a huge differance about 1 year postpartum, and after I stopped breastfeeding. This go around I still have muscles to firm up, but no weight to lose (I'm 7 months pp), and once again I think it won't get much better from now until I stop breastfeeding. Also remember that facia has to firm up to, and will only will over time.

Good Luck, it does get better!

kdeunc
05-17-2006, 11:17 AM
I am interested to hear other people's answer. I have a little "extra" baby weight (my baby is 16 months old) but seem to have a lot of extra skin too. 2 babies (c-sections) in two years seems to have done damage. I hope that someone here will share that it does go away! If not, watching Dr. 90210 has given me a new-found respect for the tummy tuck! ;)

mctlaw
05-17-2006, 12:58 PM
>It does get better. But you're only 8 weeks postpartum so
>give yourself a break :) Really it depends on your genetics
>how much your skin will hang. But over time developing your
>abdominals with help BIG time. Plank work is know to be
>EXCELLANT for helping with the lower abdominals. Also it
>depends if you are breastfeeding, which keeps things more
>loose there as well. After my first, I really noticed a huge
>differance about 1 year postpartum, and after I stopped
>breastfeeding. This go around I still have muscles to firm
>up, but no weight to lose (I'm 7 months pp), and once again I
>think it won't get much better from now until I stop
>breastfeeding. Also remember that facia has to firm up to,
>and will only will over time.
>
>Good Luck, it does get better!

THANKS! I am breastfeeding, so I will be patient, but in the meantime I will definitely add some planks to the workout.