PDA

View Full Version : Weight Watchers without lots of processed foods and sugar subs?

sbirmantaz
05-28-2006, 08:18 PM
I did Weight Watchers a couple of years ago, but stopped after a few weeks when I became pregnant. I recall lots of foods mentioned at the meetings that contained artificial sweeteners etc... I don't want to use the sweeteners and many processed products, will it be hard to do weight watchers? I know that you don't HAVE to eat them, but would it be worth it to do points with just whole foods? Has anyone else done WW w/o using artificial sweeteners? Last time I bought lots of Skinny Cows! I don't want to do that again.
Sharon
dd #1 09/24/02
dd #2 11/19/03

MayB
05-29-2006, 06:42 AM
There are a lot of food options that are low point and non-processed. I'm thinking of fruits (usually 1 point per cup) and vegetables (0 points) and lean meats like chicken breast and 93% lean hamburger. Sandwiches with low calorie, high fiber wraps are also good. Low point snacks could be popcorn or popsicles. And drinking lots of water. I've found on WW there are alot of non processed food options, and I primarily eat those, however, I love having a low point snack (like Skinny Cow) at the end of the day and staying within my points.

psophia17
05-29-2006, 10:32 AM
I never eat anything processed, and fake sweeteners...I'd rather have sugar. My WW leader way back when felt the same way, it was more worth it to her to have the real thing, and account for it, than to try and gain points by consuming chemicals. Each time on WW (I did it for 1yr before getting pg with DS, and then for a year before getting pg again) I lost 30lbs, so it can definitely be done.

I ate a lot of fruits, and tried to always have something high fiber as a snack. Getting exercise earns you some points, too, so try and squeeze that in, and drinking all of your water makes a huge difference...the more you can get in, the better you are. I also made it a point to have treats regularly, and at a ton of sorbet, which is lower in pts than ice cream, and not as heavy in summer.

I don't think Skinny Cows use fake sweetener - do they? I thought they were ice milk with a ton of air whipped into them...

MayB
05-29-2006, 01:07 PM
I forgot to add that what I love about WW is that you don't have to eat special food. I would guess the same food you eat now could be enjoyed on WW, either with modification or in smaller portions or with more vegetables. What you might want to do is look at your current menu and figure out how to make it WW friendly.

jhrabosk
05-30-2006, 12:39 PM
I actually feel that WW was a big turning point for me in regards to processed foods and artificial stuff. I became much more aware of exactly what I was putting into my body and became a big reader of ingredients.

I do admit to a fondness for Splenda in my coffee, but that's about it. Otherwise, I try to stick with mostly whole foods, or at least minimally processed ones. When I'm not being lazy, I have little difficulty staying within points.

mskitty
05-31-2006, 10:16 PM
Look into WW Core plan. It sounds like it might be a good fit for you. It's basically eating healthy food (lots of vegtables, fruit, low fat dairy, lean protein, etc).

I hear ya.. the other night they were talking about all of the "fake" food. I'm sorry but I really prefer real food. Something about growing up on a farm and eating very little processed food for the first 18 years of my life...

MsKitty

JacksMommy
06-01-2006, 06:19 PM
LIke the PP, I use splenda in my coffee but that's it as far as fake food goes. I'd rather save my points and have a piece of Dove chocolate or even some ice cream when I'm craving sweets.

I've never heard of skinny cows - sounds intriguing!
Laurel
WOHM to Jack, 6/4/02
Baby Madeline 12/14/04