PDA

View Full Version : Weight loss and some embarrasing stuff (Long)

dietmom
06-13-2006, 11:25 PM
Hi!
I am one of the regular mammas on the Board and am posting this under a new user name because of the usual reasons. DS is now over 2 years old, and I still have over 10lbs of baby weight to lose that I'm really not happy with. I did great with the South Beach Diet and lost 30 of the 40 pounds that I had gained, then the weight loss stopped. I know I could go back on the Phase 1 of the diet and lose more weight, I've tried multiple times and I just don't have the will power to do it any more. Or to eat salads forever with weight watchers. Recently, I came across and online advertisement for Hoodia and I ordered a free sample. I've never used diet pills before, but it sounds like this has no serious adverse effects and may help me lose weight painlessly. I know I should not be using diet pills but I've found no convincing evidence against this pill.
I'm just so completely frustrated, I want to look good and just fit in my clothes again.
If you have gotten this far, thanks for reading. If there is something you can share in response to this, I would be very grateful.

Judegirl
06-14-2006, 12:42 AM
Hi. I have no idea who you are. :) Maybe we don't even "like" each other on the boards, lol, but FWIW, here goes:

I was the "right" size most of my life. Then, over a few years, I gained 70 lbs. Then (when I finally figured out I wasn't quite the hottie anymore) I lost it, on WW. A year later, I got pregnant and gained 80 lbs. Aargh.

I've lost about 50 of it - 30 of it was water or hormones, and the rest was chasing a toddler. I'm still fat. :)

I toyed with WW here and there but was too busy, too tired, too everything, to worry about it.

And then a month ago I remembered how much of my life went by while I was heavy when I was doing nothing about it. And I missed feeling sexy and I missed my feet NOT hurting and I missed enjoying looking at myself, lol.

So I dragged myself back to WW - embarrassed, fat, and hating those stupid meetings, I went back. I bought smaller clothes in anticipation, and I started doing the things that make me feel sexy again. Now I'm ten pounds down, with no doubt that I'll make it to goal sometime in the fall.

I'm not saying WW is for you (although, really, it TOTALLY isn't about salads!) But you do need to figure out how you can do it, and then do it. Check out the ww boards instead of going to meetings, and use that for inspiration. Jenny Craig works for a lot of people. Cut sugar from your coffee, take the stairs instead of the elevator, whatever. Make ONE change and feel in control of it, and you will be on your way.

It is my conviction that most successes in life are, ultimately, wrapped up in feeling empowered, in control over one's life. Take that control, anywhere you can right now, be patient, and you will get what you're after.

Best of luck. PM me if you want to talk.

Jude

egoldber
06-14-2006, 06:06 AM
Are you working out at all? If not, I would try to start adding in 2-3 30 minute cardio workouts into your weekly routine. Sometimes there is only so much diet can do and then you need to boost your metabolism and build some muscle in order to get rid of those last few pounds. As you get into it, adding strength training and muscle toning is a terrific way to build muscle. The advantage is that even at rest, muscle burns more calories than fat.

I would NOT try diet pills. A sensible meal plan like SBD Phases 2/3 and WW are both good ways to eat. Adding in exercise is the next place to start.

LD92599
06-14-2006, 06:09 AM
Hi! I'm also on WW now after gaining 10 lbs over the last year. 10 pounds may not sound like much but when I was 16 my mom dragged me to a diet place (a version of WW) and i made my 1st goal just in time for my 17th birthday ~ down 60 pounds! I do not want to be there again so once I realized my summer clothes weren't going to fit the way they should, I said to myself that I *need* to get back to WW!

After i lost my 60 i did gain a little back because right after I made goal the woman running the program took a leave. After i started college I didn't gain but lost another 15 and then the 1st summer (my dad had died during my freshman year of college) home my mom, sister and I joined a hospital based 12 week program which was fantastic and it brought my down to my lowest ~ a total of 79 pounds!

15 years later and one pregnancy (gained 50 there) i'm up 14 from that initial 79 and i'll get back to my "magic" # which is where i leveled off for about 10 years. I keep my "before" picture on the side of the fridge! I cannot, for the life of me, understand how i got as big as I did, and at 16?

My biggest problem lately has been the BLTs (Bite, Licks, Tastes) esp as DS eats! It's horrible! On WW I'm finding a ton of low point, good tasting and good for you foods. I'm reading labels again, i'm counting points, i'm being accountable for what i'm eating and really thinking twice about something before eating it!

You can do this mamma :-) Personally I wouldn't try diet pills because it's not teaching you the rights and wrongs with eating, not teaching you about portion control, etc.

Laura
Will is three...and doesn't sleep :-(

[img]http://b4.lilypie.com/vEOmm4.png

Use a Mac? Interested in learning more about them? Join us!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BBB-MacUsers/

JulieL
06-14-2006, 09:13 AM
Here's something I posted a while ago. I posted lots of tangible tips that you can try. Ditch the pills right now! If you lose any weight on them it will be 1. water weight, and 2. you for SURE will gain it back , causing you to be more depressed about the whole thing. Put that money towards a sitter to watch your child while you workout or towards a gym membership, a much better way to help you get to your goal! You can lose weight, and Beth is right 2-3 days of exercise will be a HUGE differance for you! GL!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=59&topic_id=3643&mesg_id=3643&listing_type=search

Lynnie
06-16-2006, 12:43 PM
I am tempted too, but have been too lazy to buy anything. I think I *know* that I shouldn't, and that it is much safer and better and smarted to lose it slowly and legitimately through diet and exercise, but I am tempted. Especially since I don't have that much more to go.

I have had some recent success cutting out stuff I had slipped back into my diet that was bad (cafe con leches and pastelitos), walking more often, and trying to eat meals with a good protein carb ratio. (10 days of food poisoning woes also made it possible to ditch the caffeine addiction, and loose a couple pounds). I also have not cut out sweets completely, and allow myself a little of treats when the occasion arises. So far, it has been pretty good. For example, last night I wanted dessert at the heat game (goooo miami) and asked dh for an ice cream, something i wouldn't have wanted to do before, cause he'd give me grief about not being on my diet. So I got it, ate a good ten spoonfuls, and then was done. Our friends at the rest. If I hadn't gotten it, I probably would have craved it the whole night and come home and eaten alot of something very bad.

But....the instant gratification part of me is intereted to know if you try them, and if so, how they work. Even though the more rational part of me agrees with what everybody else said.

kijip
06-16-2006, 01:22 PM
Not to be mean but I think that most of the women here who need to lose weight would be turning cartwheels if it was only 10 pounds. Commend yourself for what you have done- lost all but 10 pounds! That is great. And lose the rest safely and wisely. Good luck.

Lynnie
06-16-2006, 05:04 PM
yeah, i was going to come back to say way to go on losing the 30 pounds !! that is great !! But I do feel your frustration at not being able to lose the last bit. I know I am extremely fortunate that I never had, and still don't have all that much to lose, but its still important to me to at least try to lose the rest, fit into my old clothes, and get into better physical shape. Hang in there !

dietmom
06-23-2006, 03:45 PM
Jude, FWIW I don't think anyone could 'not like' you. :)
What WW 'boards' would you suggest? I find I lose most weight when I'm hooked in with other people (online or IRL) that are losing weight.

dietmom
06-23-2006, 03:47 PM
Laura,
Wow! You inspire me. My problem also is the BLTs that come with little kids

dietmom
06-23-2006, 03:48 PM
Beth, no exercise, I'm too lazy :( I used to be so good, would work out every day but haven't been doing that for over a year now.

dietmom
06-23-2006, 03:49 PM
Julie, thanks for the link!

dietmom
06-23-2006, 03:51 PM
Katie, thanks for the backhanded compliment :)
Its just, like Lynnie said, its soooo hard to lose 30 and be stuck on the last 10, ya know.

cmdunn1972
06-25-2006, 01:46 PM
I lost weight on the SB diet (about 70 pounds), so maybe I can help out by giving you a few pointers, or at least some moral support. :)

I always found that the last 10 pounds are the hardest to lose. At that point, I had gotten into a food rut because I found I was eating the same few things over and over. Also, by that point I'd been on the diet for so long that I was getting impatient.

Sometimes, all we need is to add a little variety to the old routine. Maybe try getting a new cookbook that looks interesting to you and trying some new recipes (adapted to the SB lifestyle of course by using some minor ingredient substitutions). Or, you could start an exercise routine (go easy at first) or change up an existing one.

I'm suspicious of diet pills. Be really cautious and know your ingredients. For instance, bitter orange and caffeine should never be mixed because of the high risk of cardiac problems. (I've never heard of the one you mentioned.) I don't know if you are a member of CR, but they've had a few articles over the years regarding dangerous ingredients of certain diet pills:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/health-fitness/diet-drug-and-heart-risks-1203-obesity-weight-control-diet-pill/index.htm

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/health-fitness/drugs-supplements/fatblocking-drug-606/overview/index.htm

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/health-fitness/drugs-supplements/fat-burners-can-stress-heart-106/overview/index.htm

HTH! Let us know how you're doing. :)

dietmom
06-25-2006, 10:54 PM
Sigh, I should know better than to try diet pills. I've never done it in the past.
Anyhoo, thanks for the advice. I am going to take it. I went back on Phase 1 of SBD and have had the hardest time keeping to it. I think I will have to bite the bitter bullet and start going to the gym. I'm just going to do it if even for 15 mins a day and I'll keep all of you posted.
You've all been so helpful, and THANK YOU for talking me out of the diet pills.

cmdunn1972
06-26-2006, 07:46 AM
Another thing that I totally forgot to mention. How realistic is your goal? Try not to be so hard on yourself. Not everyone's meant to look like a VS model. (That would be boring, right? ;))