PDA

View Full Version : Need some support

mommyoftwo
06-16-2006, 02:54 PM
While I have definitely made some progess in the weight loss dept (I now weigh less than I did when I got pregnant with Linnea), I have a long way to go before I get to my goal. I used to be super fit and in the Air Force. Then I got chronic fatigue syndrome and irritable bowel syndrome and gained almost 50 lbs due sleeping all the time and stomach trouble. Then I got pregnant with Amelia and gained a few more pounds. I used to be able to lose weight really easily but it's really hard for me now because I have to be extremely careful about exercise and walking is about the only thing I can do. If I do too much of anything (even every day activites) I have a relapse and end up in bed barely functioning. I am really determined to lose enough weight that I'm not ashamed of how I look any more. I have a husband who loves me dearly no matter what I look like, but I have a lot of hangups about my weight due to some past history with my father. My brother's wedding is in two weeks and I desperately wanted to be smaller for it. My goal had been a size 8. I'm barely a size 12. Every time I make major progess, something comes up and I don't feel well and I eat whatever is around because I don't have energy to do anything else. I'm currently working on losing the seven pounds that I gained last month. I go to LA weightloss which works really well for me when I have enough energy to follow it. But I guess I'm just looking for a little unconditional support from people with similar struggles. I really want to lose another five pounds before the wedding. It won't really affect my size much, but it would do a lot for my confidence. I have another weigh in tomorrow and I'll see where I'm at. I guess that's it for now, but I look forward to joining your ranks.

Lynnie
06-16-2006, 05:14 PM
welcome ! I love this forum, and even though I fade in and out some time, I have found so many people to be so incredibly helpful.

In the past, we have had challenges, where we have all stated a goal for a finite period of time. Maybe we can do another ?? Think of something you know will help you succeed in trimming some weight in the next couple weeks that you don't always manage to do, make it concrete, and you can start the challenge. I'll think of some things I could be doing, and will be the next to join. For example, for the next two weeks, I will have healthy food snacks available so that when I want to eat something, it will be easy to get to, I will drink 2 liters of water per day, and make sure I have protein at every meal. Or something like that.

mommyoftwo
06-16-2006, 05:18 PM
Thanks so much for the response. I'll give it some thought and list some concrete goals in a little while. LA Weightloss is nice but my experience with places like that (I've also done Jenny Craig) is that they don't understand that I have a unique situation which makes it much more difficult for me. For example, exercise in the normal sense usually isn't an option for me and when my stomach acts up, the only thing that makes it feel better is eating bread type products which doesn't do much for weight loss. I feel like they are kinda judgemental at times.

Lynnie
06-16-2006, 06:05 PM
I was reading your post about the credit people, and was really feeling for you - I can't imagine how hard it must be. I know just getting older has made it more difficult for me - every ten years, like @25, then 35, I've gained a little and my metabolism has slowed down. And while I have injuries, I can't imagine not being able to at least walk fast and far for what sounds like a more or less indefinite nature.

Have you seen a nutritionist or a holistic type person ? They might be able to offer suggestions on how to eat well enough to keep your body healthy and functioning, but still be able to trim down.

I wish I could offer you more concrete suggestions, but I can offer you my support - unconditional and non judgemental !!

Sheila
06-16-2006, 06:22 PM
I hope you don't mind me asking - I am curious about the stomach problem that you have. You mentioned irritable bowel syndrome. I wonder if it could be what I have. I have had an undiagnosed stomach problem happening on and off for a while now. In good times, it might happen once a month, while in bad, it might happen 4x a week. Basically, I experience this tightening/cramping in my stomach. It usually feels like trapped air inside has nowhere to go. Sometimes, it goes away before it gets really bad, but once in a while, I get a really awful bout that brings me to tears, the pain is so bad.

Your comment re: bread products got me to thinking, because sometimes I have found that having some bread does seem to make it feel better. When it gets really bad, though, my only recourse is to go to sleep (if I can get to sleep through the pain) and then it will be gone when I wake up in the morning (though sometimes my stomach muscles hurt for a day afterward, just from the "seizing up," for lack of a better term).

If you wouldn't mind, could you post a little more about your condition/symptoms/remedies etc? Just curious if I might have something similar. I appreciate anything you could tell me.

Good luck with the weight loss. I know how hard it is. I have finally lost the 10 lbs that I have had hanging around for 5 years!! What really worked for me was exercising every day. I never had to do that when I was younger to lose weight!! So, I sympathize (sp?) with you. Not being able to exercise makes it really so much harder.

Good luck!
Sheila

________
Buy vapor genie (http://vaporizers.net/vapor-genie)

mommyoftwo
06-16-2006, 06:40 PM
IBS comes in three basic forms: constipation predominant, diarrhea predominant, and mixed (both). It causes cramping, bloating, gas, diarrhea, constipation, milk protein intolerance, lactose intolerance, pain and I'm sure a few other things that I can't think of off the top of my head. Certain foods are much more likely to cause problems, cruciferous veggies (broccoli, califlower for example), caffeine, dairy, fatty foods, things with insoluble fiber if not eaten carefully (though fiber properly consumed is extremely important). From what you describe, it sounds quite likely that you have some form of IBS. I have constipation predominant IBS. I get gas, pain and cramping, constipation of course, a lot of bloating (I can go up a whole size in clothing and look five months pregnant when my stomach is bothering me)and feel very sluggish. Dairy and fatty foods are probably my biggest triggers but once my stomach is acting up, lots of things bother me. Unfortunately, today is one of those days. Flareups can last several days or longer although I've gotten better at preventing them. When I have a flareup, non-fatty bread products are what I always want to eat. If you want more info, I have a couple of books that I found extremely helpful. Both are by the same author. One is practical tips for dealing with IBS (the author suffers from it as well) and one is a cookbook with IBS friendly recipies which are quite good BTW. I can look up the exact titles and the author's name if you are interested. IBS is very underdiagnosed and not always well understood by doctors. It took three different doctors to figure out what was going on with me. I was told that my stomach distention was weight gain (I was gaining weight at the same time because of the issues I listed above). I kept getting prescribed laxatives which can often make the problem worse. I was also told that it was in my head. Fortunately, I was finally diagnosed and did a bunch of research myself to figure out what info was out there and what works. I'm trying to keep this short, lol, but there are really a lot of things that you can do including medication. For whatever reason, IBS most often shows up in women (far more common in women) in their late teens/early 20's but can develop at any time. It's not something that people feel comfortable talking about so many people never discuss it with their doctor or when they do are brushed off. Please feel free to PM or email me if you want more details.

Sheila
06-16-2006, 08:03 PM
Jessica,

Thanks so much for the info! After reading what you wrote, I agree that maybe it is IBS that is causing my pain. The info you posted is very helpful in pointing me in the right direction, so thank you. When you get a chance, I would love the names of the books that you mentioned. I think it is time for me to do some reading. You have given me some hope that I may get to the bottom of my troubles!!

Good luck to you! I hope you are able to keep your flareups under control!!!

Sheila
________
Herbalaire vaporizer (http://vaporizers.net/herbalaire-vaporizer)

mommyoftwo
06-16-2006, 08:51 PM
nak

i'll look it up in a bit.

mommyoftwo
06-18-2006, 06:19 PM
I can't figure out where I set the books. I just got them back from someone. I'll look for them tonight after I get the girls in bed.

mommyoftwo
06-21-2006, 06:53 PM
Okay, I finally found them buried on the table. The author is Heather Von Vorous and I have Eating For IBS and The First Year IBS and essential guide for the newly diagnosed. I don't know if she has any other books yet, but these are great very helpful books with tasty healthy recipes. Even if you don't have IBS these recipes are great for any kind of bowel trouble and good if you are looking to eat healthy. I even bring dishes to potlucks from here and get tons of compliments. My fav is the peppermint fudge cake with is so yummy and low fat/low cal.

Sheila
06-22-2006, 06:00 PM
Thanks for posting the info. I am off to request them from my online library system now!

Sheila
________
ARIZONA MEDICAL MARIJUANA (http://arizona.dispensaries.org/)

mommyoftwo
06-22-2006, 08:45 PM
Let me know if you find them to be helpful. I hope they can give you some answers.