PDA

View Full Version : need intervention

Lynnie
06-20-2006, 08:05 AM
i REALLY REALLY REALLY want a cafe con leche and a pastelito (lovely cuban pastry, like a turnover, filled with either ground beef or a mixture of pureed guava with like a sweet cream cheese filling)

wonder how hard it would be to maintain a "just once a week" kind of thing.

or is it easier to just cut them out completely ?

really really want one...

mommyoftwo
06-20-2006, 08:54 AM
Well, I can't do it. I've tried and I always end up eating way more than I intended. Maybe if you've been good for a really long time you will have more self-control or maybe it will go the opposite way. I know when I've really truly gotten out of the habit of eating junk then I have a little more self-control. BUT, if it's been a while but I'm still really craving it, then I will pig out. So I would be really careful.

Lynnie
06-20-2006, 09:21 AM
yeah.

am still sipping on my water.

think i got through it without weakening. thanks

mommyoftwo
06-20-2006, 10:01 AM
No problem. I'm sure I'll be coming to you for something soon.

psophia17
06-20-2006, 10:58 AM
I always did better on WW when I had a scheduled skip day...

Lynnie
06-20-2006, 11:30 AM
darn you, petra....

that might be just enough to throw me off of this good trend lately.

but actually, that's good to know. I guess the, uh, cheesecake I had on fathers day might have been the skip day, though.

psophia17
06-20-2006, 12:45 PM
I'd plan my skip days, usually.

If I knew during Monday's craving for cheesecake that I could have as much cheesecake as I wanted on Sunday, it helped me deal with the craving at that second, see what I mean?

It also was nice for days when I had weddings or parties to go to, or when I new there would be an all-morning meeting w/ danish and pastries at work. I would plan to binge, and then feel crappy afterwords, and do really well with my diet until I felt I needed another skip day.

An added bonus was that after a skip day, I usually felt so bloated and miserable that it stuck in my head just how much my body didn't want junk in it...

jerseygirl07067
06-21-2006, 03:11 PM
Funny you posted this! I've been thinking a lot about this lately as I am one who is totally addicted to sugar and sweets. I crave them A LOT, and feel like the more I eat them, the more I want them. When I eat healthy, I don't have as many cravings.

I think there are two types of people, those who need to abstain to keep themselves from overindulging, and those who can limit their portions, or times they indulge at "just one for the week" or "just one for the day".

For me, I'm starting to think I'm the former and not the latter. Almost like a smoker who has a better chance of controlling the habit by abstinence, rather than by having a few every so often. Some people can get away with that, most can't.

Of course I don't want to compare smoking to eating per se, but I do think I have addiction issues with sugar! :)

Marcy

kijip
06-22-2006, 12:47 AM
Have you tried the 1/2 trick? I find that when I really do decide I want something so badly I must eat it that I can cut my old portion of it in half. Mind you this is easier now that I can usually give Toby the other half (my pastelito is a really tasty ham pastry or a black bottom cupcake:9 ). Just my 2 cents. And the fact that I am giving him half the treat often motivates me to skip it to avoid getting him addicted to my junky food loves. LOL.