PDA

View Full Version : Work-out DVDs

kijip
01-02-2007, 01:40 PM
I never would have pegged myself as a person that would do aerobics at home but a couple of months ago, I started using some Prevention brand and a yoga DVDs most mornings. It came about because the weather got cold and I did not want to go out for long walks like I had been. Also, we moved to the suburbs in May and I hate driving so driving to the gym is usually a non-starter (before we moved I drove to the gym sometimes but I could also walk, catch a bus or bike whereas here it is really the car or nothing in terms of a gym.) Anyhoo, now that I see this is working for me I want to get some new DVDs. I would love to find some with size 10-14 instuctors as the fact of the matter is I will never be a size 2 like the cute perky women on the ones I have. I will leap for joy the day my size 12 pants fit again. Also, I prefer ones with large boby movements vs. complicated sequences as the dancier the sequences the more I flashback to being on drill team (not fun for me.) Any suggestions? I have a step, bands, straps and hand weights so ones with props are fine. TIA.

JulieL
01-03-2007, 02:04 PM
that's kinda specific, have you tried scouting out www.collage-video.com yet?

rorycam
01-19-2007, 10:48 AM
I would suggest Kathy Kaehler I love this woman. I am still using a step VHS tape of hers that I bought in 1993, she is that good, and I have her newish DVD "Kathy Kaehler Basics-Workout Class" that I do as well. It is totally basic and uncomplicated, some might even say boring, but I think boring is good. After getting the hang of the routines, I put on my own music and let my mind wander and still get a good workout. I don't like to have to concentrate on every little move.

Kathy herself is very charming and down to earth and has a great, muscular body--she's definitely not a teeny tiny little perky thing. She is encouraging without being over the top.

Here's her DVD at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Kathy-Kaehler-Basics-Workout-Class/dp/B00068WRNO

HTH!

MamaKath
01-20-2007, 11:58 PM
Miracle Mile are pretty good. They are mostly walking but with a touch of aerobics. http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx?app=detail&params=item^E130903,RecTypeInd^EPIPHANY,navlist^E1 74538*E130903*E130485*,cp^detail,tmp^related,cppro d^E173682,cm_scid^dtlr&walk=yah.8565~B800&cmtags=

If you like props, this guy is great! His name is Edward Jackowski and his Jump Into Fitness kit is available in many venues (many of the local bookstores even have them). I have spoken with him before and he is awesome. His workouts and books are really good. I love his aproach of different body types and working on different exercises for those. http://www.exude.com/

Richard Simmons is kind of obnoxious but uses all body types. I've been using these in my gym classes lately and the kids keep talking about what color outfit he was wearing, lol. Also some are very dance routine, others aren't so bad. He is a bit over the top. ;-)

I love Tony Little's music cds too. You put them in and run the tracks for your level (beg, intermed, adv) and dance/walk/jump/etc.

Last suggestion is for the weighted hula hoop I mention in another post below. Just do it to your favorite TV show.

I am trying to find a good yoga one, but recently someone suggested pillattes instead. So I am searching for those. I'll let you know if I find anything good. I am also trying to become more motivated for going to the gym, so we'll see which wins out. ;-)

Hth~

gina
01-21-2007, 11:46 AM
I have always liked Gilad. He has two shows on the FIT channel, Bodies in Motion and Total Body. For Christmas two years ago my husband bought me the quickfit system. I started doing it and was losing a pound a week without changing what I was eating so I know it was working. I like him for the simple moves and minimal equipment. Like you, I don't like the Dance videos or any complicated movements. I have worked out with his TV show for about 15(ish) years. Unfortunately I haven't been keeping up with it right now. My DD always wonders what I am doing and crawls on top of me when I am working out. So even the small 15 min segments I have a hard time with. So we have been sticking mostly with walking with the stroller for now! Oh well.
http://www.bodiesinmotionwithgilad.com/

Gina E
DD 11 mo
DD 15 yr

val01
01-21-2007, 12:32 PM
I would recommend that you check out collagevideo.com (you can preview videos) and videofitness.com.

As far as "normal" size instructors or those with "normal" size people in their videos:

Gin Miller
Kathy Kaehler
Leslie Sansone (although quite chatty)

HTH,
Valerie