PDA

View Full Version : Exercise post-partum. When did you start?

MarisaSF
06-14-2007, 07:11 PM
Would love BTDT experiences! I'm going a little stir-crazy. Thanks for all the advice on recovery after a c-section. I read it all, but couldn't respond at the time because I never had two hands free. The advice to take it easy and cover my belly with a pillow for laughing came in very handy!

Now (3 weeks post c/s) I'm feeling antsy and back to "normal." I am barely, if at all, bleeding. It is HOT out. The gym has childcare. I want to at least walk on a treadmill and I'd LOVE to swim.

Problem is, the "official" word from my doctor's office is no strenuous activity and no pools for 6 weeks. Would/did you exercise before that if you were feeling well? Would you go swimmng? I'm not sure if I should be more scared of an infection through the c-section incision (which looks/feels healed to me) or the cervix.

TIA!

stella
06-14-2007, 07:41 PM
Marisa, I just want to say that I am sorry they moved your post. This needs more visibility!

I don't have any idea how to answer your question - I am having a c-section in September, and I also want to know how soon I can exercise. I have always (previous 2) felt good by 3 weeks. I want to get back to running, although I'm sure that takes a while.

Why not walk on a treadmill? Like anything else, go slowly the first day and see how you feel later in the day. Increase the next day of you still feel good. Don't take any pain meds (I'm sure you're not!) because that can disguise how you really feel, and will let you do too much too fast.

I have no idea about the swimming pool, but I would love to know!

pb&j
06-14-2007, 07:53 PM
No idea about the pool, except that after my vaginal delivery I was told 1 month. It might be wise to hold off on that till you get the official word from your doc.

I think it's safe to go for a walk on a treadmill. I'd hardly call that strenuous. Just take it easy, back off if you feel any discomfort, or have any increased/additional bleeding. I'm a big believer in trusting how your body feels.

-Ry,
mom to Max the one year old
and my girl in heaven

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/37124.gif

bisous
06-14-2007, 08:07 PM
Marisa,

I think it is great that you are feeling so good 3 weeks post c/s! That is certainly a lot better than I was doing at that point. I don't know about swimming--seems like that might be a really gentle exercise but walking couldn't really hurt.

Still, though, I would probably avoid any time of "workout" at this point. This is totally my opinion and I'm no medical professional but your body has been through so much. It needs more rest and relaxation than it seems. I waited a whole 2 months to do any strenuous exercise (although admittedly it was easy as I didn't feel great) and I was so glad that I did. By really taking care of myself and eschewing basically all work related tasks and exercise, I really felt like myself during the course of the next year. I'm no expert but I attribute my almost euphoric mood during the course of my nursing relationship with DS to be based on the fact that I really rested and took it easy!

HTH,

Jen

ciaobella
06-14-2007, 08:16 PM
I started power walking 2 weeks pp and jogging at 4 weeks pp after both of my c-sections with my doctor's blessing. I am a big believer in listening to your body and not over doing it.

MarisaSF
06-14-2007, 08:23 PM
haha - you called my bluff. I should admit I really don't want to walk ;) -- I want to run. But i'll be a good little invalid and walk... at least jog slowly.

MarisaSF
06-14-2007, 08:30 PM
I'll call my doc again about the pool. I got the last word from her associate who doesn't ''know" me as well.

I waited 6 weeks, I believe, to run after the vaginal birth of DD. I could barely walk after her birth. Recovery after the c/s seemed more immediately painful, but quicker. The whole incision area scares me though -- risk of infection and fear that it's somehow going to rip open. eek!

Best wishes for the rest of your pregnancy and delivery!

MarisaSF
06-14-2007, 08:33 PM
That's exactly what I wanted to hear. ;)

MarisaSF
06-14-2007, 08:35 PM
Thanks, Jen!
I will take it easy, but am pretty sure I'd feel more euphoric with an endorphin rush. :P

scoop22
06-14-2007, 09:04 PM
i agree with a pp. you know your body. you have to be truthful to yourself. i know you want to run but make sure your body is ready. lots of powerwalking will work till you figure it out. i to this day don't want to run, HA HA. but i can walk forever. i started really pushing it one month after ds. i did not have a c-section.

as for the pool. definitly go with your dr on that. we had just bought a new house with a hot tub when i was pg. i didn't go in it till after my 1st appt. i was bummed..

i love your motivation.. send some my way please!!!!
http://b2.lilypie.com/XbITm4.png

shilo
06-14-2007, 11:23 PM
i didn't have a c, so take it with a grain of salt, but i did have some non-healing tears out to 16 weeks pp. i was walking >1mile at 2weeks with the stroller in the neighborhood and 'power walking' with the stroller about 3-4 miles on trails by 4 weeks with my ob's blessing. the conversation went something along the lines of 'only walking if you're pushing a stroller, you can jog if you aren't pushing a stroller' IIRC. i was on a road bike riding 10-15miles by 8 wks and 20-30miles by 16 wks both with my ob's blessing. i don't run, ever :P, so no help there (because i'm lazy and i hate it :)). i wasn't in a public pool until after 12 wks while waiting for my tears to be fully granulated and re-epithelialized, so also not much help with swimming.

hth, lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

mom2lm
06-15-2007, 05:00 PM
I had my second c-section in June of LAST year and I'm still holding off on the exercise, just to be extra safe, ha ha. Just kidding. With my first c-section, I did hour long walks at night with the baby in her moby wrap. I started jogging on the treadmill right at the 6 week visit and I know I would have been fine before then.

My friend was running on her treadmill and riding her bike before her 6 week visit. After one long ride, she had some large clots (sorry TMI) and her doc said that was a sign she need to lighten up on the exercise, but she didn't and nothing else happened. I think the no pool thing is supposed to be until the scar completely closes up?

Good luck!
Amy
mom to Lucy and Maggie

MarisaSF
06-21-2007, 03:35 PM
>I had my second c-section in June of LAST year and I'm still
>holding off on the exercise, just to be extra safe, ha ha.

LOL!

MarisaSF
06-21-2007, 03:39 PM
Update. 4 weeks post c-section. I've been walking, stretching, and doing some ab/leg/arm work only and feeling really good. I'm hoping to start jogging again next week.

I called my OB office today and got the blessing to go swimmng (YAYYYY!!!!!) and basically go "back to normal" (their words) now. My incision site is closed as far as I can tell and I am no longer bleeding. I was told today that they are mainly worried about infection and that if I'm no longer bleeding, my cervix is pretty much closed and if my incision site is closed, nothing can get in that way either.

scoop22
06-21-2007, 04:49 PM
sounds great!!! i know i had to go swimming this week b/c of the heat so it is great you got the go ahead. have fun exercising and don't foget run for me!
http://b2.lilypie.com/XbITm4.png

salsah
08-16-2007, 08:57 PM
just had a c-section and i would love to read the advice on recovery. where can i find that thread?

peach_erika_2000
09-08-2007, 11:49 PM
i had a wonderful natural vaginal delivery. i started working out 6 weeks after. I'm a nurse so i understood the risk of me working out before my MD allowed me to. about swimming i would say NO!! you don't know when the pool was last cleaned or what people do in there. walking ask your physician to give you a specific time limit or distance limit that way you will not strain you body. body scuplting i would say NO!! you really do not want to run the risk of herniation, or your surgery site tearing open. remember your skin does not have to tear for you to tear. you can tear through the inside. situps would be up to the discretion of your MD because i really don't know how muscle tissue heals. best advice i can give wait until you MD allows you to work out. don't try to get ahead of your self. remember you just had major abdominal surgery. if you do start to WALK remember to wear you abdominal binder.