PDA

View Full Version : The initial CD washing...Help!

parkersmama
04-09-2003, 08:23 PM
I'm posting this here since I noticed this new forum after my original post in the Reality Layette forum. Just in case someone misses it there! :-)

I'm ready (and actually a little behind!) to wash all my CDs in preparation for the impending arrival of our baby. I am still a little baffled about the initial washing process. It seems like everyone has a different method and number of washings recommended.
Here are some specific questions I have:

1. I have a batch of Kissaluvs fitteds & a couple of contours...I'm assuming these can all be washed together. The instructions say to wash several times before use. I am guessing that this means hot water? Do I leave them snapped or unsnap them? Do I dry them between washings or just fill the washer up and do it again without drying?

2. I have about 12 bleached CPFs. How do I do the initial wash on them? Same question...dry between washings? How many washings will I need to do?

3. I have some ME Sandy's and one Onesize. Can these be washed the same as the Kissaluvs? Snapped or unsnapped? Take out the snap-in liner in the OS?

4. What about covers? How many times do they have to be washed? I have an assortment: proraps (snap & velcro), ME airflows, bummi snaps, bumpkins velcro. Do I leave them snapped to wash or undo them? Do I put them in the dryer or hang to dry?

5. I also have some cloth wipes (from Darling Diapers), some doublers, a couple of WAHM AIOs, a Bumpkins AIO and a Proraps AIO. Can these just be washed along with the other stuff? What about drying?

I know that part of the washing process initially is to get up to maximum absorbancy but I'm wondering how to get there! LOL! Do I do all the original washings on hot? Even covers? Can the covers be washed with the diapers? Yikes! I didn't realize that I had so many questions!! Thanks for taking any time you have to give me some pointers!

zen_bliss
04-09-2003, 08:46 PM
ugh, i spent 2 whole days washing! i'm new to this too, but as far as i can tell a few answers are:
unsnap before washing so you don't stress the snaps. a lot of velcro/aplix have little tabs to close off so they don't snag other stuff in the wash.
covers are best left to air dry for longer life as the heat from the dryer will break them down over time
hottest water you can get, (unless your instructions say otherwise)
as for drying between multiple washings, if you can stand it, i think it 'breaks in' the diaper as part of the cycle
you should be able to wash whatever you need to together, as long as you aren't overloading the machine. like you need to sort diapers while you are sleepless!

i think my MEs took 5+ extended washings and were driving me crazy. test the absorbancy by sprinkling or pouring a little water. if it beads, back to the washing!

egoldber
04-10-2003, 09:37 AM
Whenever I get new diapers, I wash them on hot 3 times before using. I dry them on high in between washings. I have never had any trouble with absorbancy doing this, but your diapers will continue to get more absorbant over time.

I only wash covers and FuzziBunz once before use and I don't dry them at all. Definitely make sure all velcro closures are closed off before washing. I don't bother to unsnap personally before washing. I have some ME Airflow covers with snaps that have very seldom been unsnapped.

The only stuff that may need special treatment is unbleached CPFs. They often need super duper hot water to get them properly broken in. But it doesn't look like you have any of those, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Also, you have enough diapers that I would wash them in two separate loads. A lot of sites I see recommend only washing 18 or less diapers per load.

HTH,

parkersmama
04-10-2003, 09:55 AM
Thanks, both of you for your help! I started washing last night and I'm on my final (3rd) wash with the Kissaluvs and 2nd wash with the CPFs. I threw the covers in with the CPFs and let them airdry. Still gotta do the AIOs and Sandy's. Man, that's a lot of washing! Thankfully, I have ended up with plenty of diapers (more than I meant to, how'd that happen!?) so maybe I won't have to wash but every 2 days post-baby. One more question...my Kissaluvs are the size 0 but they are taking forever to dry! Pretty much 2 regular dryer cycles and they still feel slightly damp. Is that normal? Should I just take them out after that and fold them assuming they'll airdry the rest of the way? Am I doing something wrong with them? I don't want the dampness to start causing mildew type problems down the road.

Thanks again for your help!

celfsh
04-10-2003, 11:23 AM
Denise:

Thanks so much for asking this question. Part of my first CD order arrived this week, the rest should get here next week. (Yay!) I was really at a loss as to how to "break in" everything. Isn't it nice to have experts like Beth (and others) to hold our hands?

celeste
mom to olivia 9/25/02
http://homepage.mac.com/the_big_fish

mamahill
04-10-2003, 01:22 PM
I have unbleached CPFs and Colleen said to turn my water heater all the way up before doing at least 3 hot loads (I think I did 4). She also said to do the water-bead test (dribble water, if it beads up, do another load! eventually, they'll absorb the water). She also said some people boil their diapers on the stove. I don't have a pot big enough (or the patience), so I just turned up my water heater. Make sure you turn it back down so nobody gets burned!

Oh, and the unbleached CPFs need the extra attention bc of the natural oils that need to be released.

And if your diapers are still damp after a dry cycle, either turn your dryer hotter (if you can) or dry for longer. My hemp liners seemed to need longer to dry at first. I've heard of the Kissaluvs taking a bit longer. You can air-dry them in a well-ventilated area and that should keep them from smelling mildew-y. I'm going to dry mine outside once it gets a little warmer!

blnony
04-10-2003, 02:29 PM
I've been thinking about line drying outside too. I go back and forth on this, but if you do, let us know how it goes. I am curious if they would dry faster? Or smell better? I keep thinking of that commercial where the lady drives from NYC out to the country to dry to her clothes:)
I am just curious if it makes a big difference? I know it sure would save a lot on electricity though.

mamahill
04-10-2003, 03:15 PM
I'm going to do it mostly for the gas/electricity savings. We have rolling blackouts here in the Bay Area when it gets hot, so I'm trying to do my part. They might dry a little faster in the sunlight than inside line-drying. I can't remember who posted about it, but they said they line dry, and then put then in the dryer on air-fluff for about 10 minutes since they can get stiff just air-drying. I just think it will cute having my diapers flapping in the breeze. Just think of what the neighbors will think... *gasp*!

I don't have a yard (townhouse), though, so I'm going to have to rig a line up on one of my balconies. Not sure exactly how I'm going to do that, yet, but also haven't really looked. But I'll let you know! It's so sad how this kind of stuff really excites me... :)

parkersmama
04-10-2003, 04:01 PM
My CPFs are bleached (got those because it seemed like they might be a little easier on the washing) and they seemed to absorb pretty well (no beading at all) after 2 washes. I'm going to do them once more anyway, though.

I hope that the Kissaluvs will dry faster the more they are washed. They are so cute and cuddly but having to run the dryer several times is going to eat into my cost savings. :-) I'd love to do the outside thing but I think our neighborhood covenants prohibit clotheslines. :-( I'm already planning to sun-bleach any stains but I guess I'll be hanging them on the patio furniture!! LOL!

blnony
04-11-2003, 06:32 AM
we are lucky that our backyard has a big privacy fence around it, but I will have to convince DH to put a line up or something. I am having to double dry my fitteds and liners and that takes a lot of energy. I just wonder how fast fitted might dry outside? I would like to save the energy but if it takes too long, that wouldn't work either. When the weather is warmer, I might try it just to test the waters.

parkersmama
04-14-2003, 08:29 PM
Moving back to the top.