PDA

View Full Version : Tristan is sporting his first CD!!!!

mama2be
04-10-2003, 01:24 PM
I just got my 17 Crickett fitteds this morning and washed them and dryed them...

I tucked one of his fleece liners in them and he looked so cute in his Crickett...darn I have to cover the things, they're too cute to cover :(...I got pics of him in it!!!

They are so soft and was suprised because this size goes up to 20lbs (I think don't quote me) and I was certain they'd be huge but since they hug and stretch so much he looks so comfy in them.

I got him covered in a Prowrap.
Cross your fingers this works!!!

DH has no idea of the purchse (SUPRISE)...But he does have his eye on my PF stash to use for the car washes...

mamahill
04-10-2003, 01:36 PM
Post the pictures - I wanna see! I am soooo going to order... Lori? What say you?

celfsh
04-10-2003, 02:03 PM
How exciting! (Can't believe I'm saying that about DIAPERS of all things--LOL.) I'm dying to get the rest of the CDs I ordered so we can get started, too. Let us know how the Crickett's work out, Neve. I've heard nothing but good things about them.

I've got my fingers crossed for you!

celeste
mom to olivia 9/25/02
http://homepage.mac.com/the_big_fish

Momof3Labs
04-10-2003, 03:16 PM
Oh, this will sound soooo silly!

I washed one of the new Crickett's Tuesday night, but I was at work yesterday so didn't have DH try it. I thought about using it overnight tonight, but just decided that's pretty gutsy for a new diaper (only washed in hot twice). I have to work tomorrow, so I think that we will try it on Saturday.

Sorry for the delay in the review, but I'm still new to planning out my CD strategy for the day! It is so darn fun, though!!

PS - DH has Colin while I work, and is doing well with CDs, he actually puts everything together himself and will reach for cloth over sposie when I am around, but I want to be there when we try the new Crickett's!

mama2be
04-10-2003, 03:28 PM
I'm going to email Lori directly because I know she used the "old" Cricketts before...

BUT most say I was suprised when I just opened up his cover to find a saturated diaper. NOW thank god the computer tells me what time I posted becuse I would have sworn the diaper was on 15 minutes...but no it was on 3 hours (my origianl post was at 1:00) and this one came off at the begining of Oprah. So I was a bad mom I guess for waiting that long...but it was saturated. And then the inside of the cover was obviously wet...thus it too went into the pail...am I doing something wrong...surely this is not what to expect...

Edited to say that it was all contained...and only pee...

Momof3Labs
04-10-2003, 03:34 PM
Sounds pretty normal!! I change Colin every 2 hours (when using CDs), give or take a little, so three hours is pretty long. How many times did you wash the dipes before using them? They will get more absorbent after 5-6 washes because the hemp needs time to break down. Colin soaked through everything at first, but is doing much better now (as I figure things out).

egoldber
04-10-2003, 03:36 PM
A CD definitely feels saturated, unlike a disposable, which may only feel saturated after MANY hours. It takes a bit of getting used to, but that is how it is supposed to be. But three hours is a bit of a stretch for a new diaper.

And I use two covers throughout a day. When I take one off, I let it air out and then use a different one for the next diaper. I then switch back to the other one at the next diaper change. At the end of the day, they go in the pail. (Unless one gets pooped on, and then I put it in the pail.)

HTH,

mama2be
04-10-2003, 04:00 PM
Beth...

When you say "air out" do you wipe it down with a wet cloth or anything or is it OK to just really "air" out...I'm talking about ones that get wet...
thanks in advance

egoldber
04-10-2003, 05:36 PM
I really just air out, no wiping involved. :)

parkersmama
04-10-2003, 05:51 PM
And they're not smelly after they dry? Thanks for bringing this up, Neve, I've been wondering, too!!

Kate888
04-10-2003, 06:23 PM
Nope. I change Maya about every 2 hours, and the inside of the cover is just a little damp. After it's dry, no smell at all.

Kate
Mama to Maya 2-17-02

mama2be
04-10-2003, 07:13 PM
I suspect I'm going to be clinging to you all over the next several days...please don't leave me!!!! Will you check this post for any questions I have...

UGHHH DH (who remind you had no idea I had ordered these things and already was squirreling away my CPFs for the car!!!!) CAme home right when I was in the middle of changing a poopy and heavy pee CD!!!! I felt like I caught doing something I shouldn't have been doing. And as he watched me struggle to put it on Tristan and wipe him etc...I just wanted to yell "leave me alone to figure it out...it will work"...of course poops (hardly any) on the gussett of the cover...but I suspect I am going to need support over the next few days!!!

Thanks gals I am determined!!!

mamahill
04-10-2003, 07:26 PM
Those first couple days were VERY awkward (thank heavens I made a nuisance of myself to someone on the boards here, bc I might have thrown the towel/diaper in!). And I kept thinking, "No wonder they invented disposables!" But don't worry, girlie, it gets better! And soon you'll be a pro. You can do it! Post any and all questions or complaints, and pretty soon you'll be doling out advice like a cloth queen. It gets easier - I PROMISE!!

egoldber
04-10-2003, 08:14 PM
It took me days after I got my CDs to get up the nerve to wash and use them! And I hid at home and used disposables when I was out for almost a month before I became confident enough at my "technique" to change a CD in public.

Just keep saying "It's only poop! It washes away!"

Hang in there and ask away!!

MelissaTC
04-10-2003, 10:19 PM
Hey Neve! With the hemp, they really do need to be washed a few times before they do not saturate. I use Crickett's at night with one of her sherpa doublers. It saturated in the morning.

You will figure all of this out! I promise! It does take practice, like anything else. I still struggle with Matthew, especially now that he is a wiggle worm. I have gotten to be quite good though with a prefold and a snappi. I had a non-cding Mom tell me that she was impressed with the speed in which I change his diaper. If she only knew the number of times I have been peed on, had poopie on my hands or on him! LOL...When I first started cding Matthew, he ALWAYS had poopie on the gussets of his prorap covers...I hated it! But there is hardly anything on a cover ever...they are mostly just damp and I let them air dry and rotate, as Beth wrote previously...

Hang in there girl! In a few weeks, you won't believe you ever had any kind of trouble at all! :)

blnony
04-11-2003, 06:40 AM
It is trying at first, thats for sure, but it does get easier. We had leaks, and all sorts of follies at the beginning. Its just like anything else with a baby, after you adjust and get used to it, you're a pro. Just hang in there and keep trying. If you need any help or support, just let us know.

mama2be
04-11-2003, 11:38 AM
...gotta first start off with huge THANKS...for being just a click away with advice you all are super!!!

Questions!!!

How do I know I got a hemp one as opposed to a cotton one (I ordered Hemp but how do you know)????

When everyone is describing "absorbant" doublers and all, are they "absorbant" in that they take the pee away from the baby or are they absorbant in that they hold the pee away from the outside of the diaper and thus the cover. In otherwords if it appears to be away from him should I be satisfied and not consider a doubler, or if it is away from him but the diaper is saturated do I consider a doubler???...gee that was confusing hope you understand...

When you all had poop in the gussetts "at the beginning"...why at the beginning and not now. Is it that he might be on the smaller side for these diapers range in weight (which he is), or is it that you mastered some technique in dressing the diaper (if it's that please share)...

Also does this pee all over the diaper not cause skin irritation up against the body??? It must not because you here raves about it not causing diaper rash but why???

Folks seem fine with clothes that are "damp", covers that are "damp" etc..is that because their pee might not smell like "adult pee"...If something is slightly damp I find (this was with disposables) that I am yanking it off immediatly and throwing it in the wash. But some folks have said (when I asked about wool covers) "yeah their damp in the morning...that's it"...see if they were damp in the morning I'd find myself changing the linens, him and then me in a total frantic case running around the house...is that not the case???

EDITED to add one more question...the poops...I tried to rinse them off this morning before throwing in the pail and they didn't budge, I guess because their consistency is mushy...what do you do. We do have the super dooper Kenmore Catalyst Washer and Dryer so if any residential grade washer can handle them I supect this one would...what do you do???

Sorry just rambling but these are the thoughts going thru my head!!!

Calmegja
04-11-2003, 12:25 PM
I use Zout for pesky stains/poop like that...

Just be sure to use a non-enzyme based pretreater, and you'll be okay...

I thought the hemp was a different color than the cotton? The cotton was a lighter color....

blnony
04-11-2003, 01:18 PM
Here is my take on your questions:

1. I think the cotton ones are light color and feel more "fleecey" and you'll notice the hemp ones feel more "t shirt like."

2. Absorbent refers to wicking away the moisture from the baby's skin. You can tell the diaper is bigger and fuller after it has absorbed the pee. I don't use a doubler unless its naptime or nighttime and will be going awhile in between changes. I usually change Audrey every 2 -3 hrs. during the day, and she isn't a super soaker so she doesn't leak very much (unless there is mommy error which does happen sometimes:)). The cover is likely going to get damp, more on the inside, and thus after that you let it just sit and air dry. Its doing its job if it keeps Tristan's clothes from getting wet or damp. I don't use Prowraps so I have very little experience with those, but all my other covers that are P.U.L. don't have any odor after they dry and dry really fast. I haven't used a wool cover yet, so again, no advice there. But if you are using PUL covers, Tristan's clothes shouldn't be damp or wet, unless the diaper is leaking. But again, with the Prowraps I'm not sure if they are PUL or not. I mainly use the Bummies Snap covers.

3. Poop - I didn't CD when Audrey was a newborn, but now, when she poops and I haven't used a paper liner, if its really runny and stubborn, I will dunk the liner (I always use fleece liners to "save" the diaper and they are so soft against her skin)then pretreat with Biz. I roll it up and put it in the pail with the others. If its really stinky and wet, I will put it in a plastic shopping bag, but I don't have to do this very often. I think the Biz mixed with the water does a good pretreating job, and I've never had residue or anything like that in my wash. I've also used Totally Toddler pretreater and its worked good but a little to expensive for all the time.
If its just a little poop on there, I just put Biz and it and roll it up and put in the pail. I don't really sit and scrub or anything.
I think once Tristan is older and his diet changes, his poop will be less runny and less likely to get everywhere too.
(Sorry for the graphic poop talk ... but its diapers after all!;)
HTH-

egoldber
04-11-2003, 03:01 PM
Neve, first, you really will get the hang of this and discover a system that works for you!

Some babies totally saturate a diaper even with one pee. Those babies probably need a doubler to add absorbancy to the diaper. I do not use doublers with Sarah except for overnight. If the OUTSIDE of a cover is wet, I put it in the pail. If the diaper is completely saturated front to back (which happens to Sarah pretty much only at night) then you need a doubler, a more absorbant diaper or change more often (or perhaps all three or some combination).

As far as pee against their skin causing irritation, it does for some babies. I did have problems with Sarah in the very beginning when I switched with her getting diaper rash, especially overnight. I had to teach myself to change her more often and I started using fleece liners and that really helped.

A cloth diaper needs to be changed every 2-3 hours. You can't go hours in one like with a disposable. I actually LIKE this now, because I now have a much better feel for how often and how much she pees. I never knew this when I used disposables because I just couldn't tell.

The poops of a very young baby are different from those of older babies. Older babies also poop less often (sometimes days in between) and once you start solids they become more regular, more adult-like and easier to deal with (although MUCH stinkier!).

mama2be
04-11-2003, 03:10 PM
I appreciate your time and patience with me till I figure this out!!!

But don't leave me yet...plead, plead, plead...

mamahill
04-11-2003, 03:22 PM
Hang in there! The other ladies pretty much covered it, but I thought I'd add that I just got some of the flushable Kushies liners, and so far, they're GREAT. But now that Ainsleigh is older, I can anticipate when she poops, and only use them a couple times a day (with the newborns, they poop any and all the time;)).

Like Beth said, though, it DOES get easier. I PROMISE!! I was so impressed when you committed before having Tristan, and I KNOW you can do this. I'm here for you - ask away - I'll hold your hand!

Melanie
04-13-2003, 03:22 AM
***How do I know I got a hemp one as opposed to a cotton one (I ordered Hemp but how do you know)????***

Um...I don't know - good question!

***When everyone is describing "absorbant" doublers and all, are they "absorbant" in that they take the pee away from the baby or are they absorbant in that they hold the pee away from the outside of the diaper and thus the cover. In otherwords if it appears to be away from him should I be satisfied and not consider a doubler, or if it is away from him but the diaper is saturated do I consider a doubler???...gee that was confusing hope you understand...***

I think absorbant as it it doesn't get supersaturated and puddle in the cover. If the diaper is not drenched to the waist when you change him at a regular interval, I would think you don't need a doubler. Like, is the diaper wet pretty much where you'd expect it to be for a boy, or does it have to travel over the entire diaper to absorb?

***When you all had poop in the gussetts "at the beginning"...why at the beginning and not now. Is it that he might be on the smaller side for these diapers range in weight (which he is), or is it that you mastered some technique in dressing the diaper (if it's that please share)...***

Probably b/c baby poop changes so much when they start solids?

***Also does this pee all over the diaper not cause skin irritation up against the body??? It must not because you here raves about it not causing diaper rash but why???***

It does for some babies (like mine who was used to disposables for 15 months), and for others it does not. I think it causes less diaper rash b/c they do not have the terrible chemicals that disposables have AND b/c you HAVE to change them more often.

***Folks seem fine with clothes that are "damp", covers that are "damp" etc..is that because their pee might not smell like "adult pee"...If something is slightly damp I find (this was with disposables) that I am yanking it off immediatly and throwing it in the wash. But some folks have said (when I asked about wool covers) "yeah their damp in the morning...that's it"...see if they were damp in the morning I'd find myself changing the linens, him and then me in a total frantic case running around the house...is that not the case???***

Well, I don't know. I only have one diaper that doesn't have a synthetic waterproof layer (it is a MM Fleece) and I've felt the slight dampness...it didn't seem to get onto his clothes. If it did, I would change them. I think if someone is happy they are only damp in the morning, it's b/c they went 10 ours in one diaper and weren't soaked. I don't think they meant the clothes were damp. I don't know, no wool covers for us yet.

***EDITED to add one more question...the poops...I tried to rinse them off this morning before throwing in the pail and they didn't budge, I guess because their consistency is mushy...what do you do. We do have the super dooper Kenmore Catalyst Washer and Dryer so if any residential grade washer can handle them I supect this one would...what do you do???***

You might want to try one of those diaper shower things that hooks up to the toilet. I think I would if I had NB BF poop to deal with. You could also try using toilet paper to scrap it off.

mama2be
04-13-2003, 09:37 AM
Thank you for answering all of my questions...I was still wondering about some of them and your post answered everything!!!

Thanks again!!!

mama2be
04-13-2003, 12:50 PM
...I'd be fibbing if he seemed thrilled...I just kept saying if we have three babies then look at the money I've saved us!!!...and then I said aren't they so soft?????...and as I mentioned earlier to Lori I swear these diapers smell like Sugar Cookies new...so I had him take a whiff...I don't think he smelled sugar cookies though :)...

But I swear he asked "what about the others (meaning the PFs) can I have them for the cars???"...

parkersmama
04-13-2003, 01:50 PM
I have a big stack of soft but not very usable PFs that I got at WalMart for burp rags a long time back! Does he want those?!? Tell him he can't have the good ones! LOL!