PDA

View Full Version : WAHM diapers - a few questions

mamahill
04-10-2003, 01:34 PM
Ok, I never responded to Shandelle's post in Reality Layette about cutest-cloth-diapers.com, but I've been thinking and visiting that site DAILY (thanks a lot Shandelle !). And here are my questions...

How is the general quality of WAHM diapers?

On this particular site, they offer front and side snaps. What are YOUR preferences? I have no idea which one I'd use. I guess front, since that's what my FBs are?

Do I need an extra soaker or stay-dry doubler for just regular day use? Can I use a hemp liner?

I must say I am intrigued by hemp diapers since our hemparoos are AMAZINGLY absorbant. I'd like to get more (well, of everything, but that's another story) hemp diapers, but just wanted to know what others' opinions are (and I'm waiting for Neve's and Lori's reviews of the Cricketts - my mouse is hovering over the "buy" button...).

And can I just say that the look on people's faces I get when I casually mention we're cd-ing is PRICELESS. I then launch into my shpeel, and I can see confusion and disgust melt into respect and admiration (most of the time) and it makes my day. Just had to add that. I take great pride in doing things against the norm. Which might be where Ainsleigh gets it...

blnony
04-10-2003, 01:51 PM
I'm with you!! Just today I watched one my Mommy friends almost faint when I told her I am CDing. It was so funny. She looked at me and just said, "you wash poop?" I had to explain that I don't fingerpaint with it or anything, it isn't deadly, and its really only once or twice a day... Its remarkable how people think you've lost your mind.:)
But on the side of WAHM diapers, I actually prefer them. Or I guess, some of them. They can be a little hit or miss, but for the most part, I think they are great quality, and you can even get them customized. I also love hemp diapers. Crickett's are the best I've tried so far. I also use hemp liners for just about everything. I don't have to put a doubler or anything in the Crickett's during the day, unless its naptime (but they come with a snap in doubler that isn't too bulky.) I am also looking at the Buckeye Bottoms. Those look great too, but I haven't heard a lot about them.
Good luck---

mamahill
04-10-2003, 01:54 PM
"Fingerpainting..." I'm snickering! heehee, I'll have to remember that one! Buckeyes - are they a brand, or a woman's business? Would you mind posting links of the WAHM diapers that you have tried and like? Thanks!

celfsh
04-10-2003, 02:09 PM
Sarah,

Not to confuse the issue, but if you're interested in hemp diapers, I have also heard good things about Liz's Cloth...www.lizscloth.com. Mind you, I have not tried them. Actually, this is just my way of getting you to try them and review them for me...:)

celeste
mom to olivia 9/25/02
http://homepage.mac.com/the_big_fish

blnony
04-10-2003, 02:16 PM
Here are few I've tried, and some that I want to try....
heavenlyhineys.com
buckeyebottoms.com
diaperworks.com
zootkitty.com
and I got my Crickett's at
juliestuff.com and kellyscloset.com
Kelly is really great to work with. She always emails me back within hours if I have questions, etc. She has free shipping, but some of her prices can be a little higher too. So its kinda of a trade off.
Some people like Luke's Drawers, I don't really because they just don't fit Audrey right and they leak through, but its lukesdrawers.com
Thats all I can think of right now. If I think of more I will edit and add them.

C99
04-10-2003, 02:40 PM
The quality of WAHM diapers varies GREATLY. I found this board recently and read through a lot of the reviews to weed out potentially bad experiences. Incidentally, Little Lambs (I think that's cutest cloth diapers.com) is rated well: http://www.macspeno.com/cdrating/cdrep.cgi

Oh, and I don't have too many "mommy" friends yet, but the last person who thought I was nuts to try CDing went out and got a stash of CPFs and Kushies AIOs to use on her 2 kids within a month of my mentioning it!

Kate888
04-10-2003, 03:16 PM
The quality of WAHM diapers do vary greatly. I always go to http://www.mothering.com and check on the diapering board before making a purchase. You can search the forum for reviews (there're LOTS of CD enthusiasts there).

I prefer side snaps, it fits DD better, because I can adjust the waist and thighs seperately. FB should be side snaps, because you have two sets of snaps. Front-snap diapers sometimes are trimmer, but I don't see a big difference in my stash.

So far I've tried several hemp diapers, such as Crickett's , Ivy Rose, BizzyB Hive and Darling Diapers. They're all very good and absorbant. During the day, I don't need a doubler, just a microfleece liner if it's an "all-hemp" fitted to keep DD dry.

Oh, DD is under my table, screaming for attention! I better stop. Will add more later if possible.

Editted to add:
I like Crickette's for it's absorbancy, but the leg ruffles keep turning in. It's front snap, so maybe that's why it doesn't fit DD as well.

HTH,

Kate
Mama to Maya 2-17-02

Momof3Labs
04-10-2003, 03:22 PM
About hemp liners:

I LOVE the hemp doublers at http://www.mom-and-me-creations.com/diapering.html!! They are 6 for $11, trimmer and smaller than Joeybunz and absorb SO well! I fold one in half and tuck it in the front of Colin's diaper - now he doesn't soak through everything in under two hours.

They could be a little softer, but I deal with that by adding a homemade fleece topper to Colin's dipe.

I would pick these over Crickett's hemp liners, which are smaller than Joeybunz but too thick to fold in half easily for absorbency in just the right place! But Crickett's hemp diapers have worked great for us!

mamahill
04-11-2003, 03:10 PM
Thanks, all, for the recommendations. I have furiously jotted them all down and will spend the afternoon "window" shopping. It's sad when I get excited at the thought of looking at diapers while Ainsleigh naps...

Melanie
04-13-2003, 03:14 AM
I bought some WAHM of ebay and they are junk! Always check either site above or diaperpin.com first!

I like lizscloth.com, sugarpeas.com, superdupas.com as my favorite WAHM diapers.

AngelaS
04-14-2003, 06:59 AM
My findings have been that WAHM diaper quality varies---greatly!

My favorites are: Darling Diapers, BuckeyeBottoms, Heavenly Hineys, and one from Peanut Butter kisses (this one's not overly absorbant--but boy is it TRIM!)

Others I tried and didn't like: Scooterbugs fleece (it leaked), Cutest-cloth-diapers (it wicked), Sugar Plum Baby (took too dang long to dry!).

mama2be
04-14-2003, 08:02 AM
when you say they wick...what do you mean. I know "wicking" pulls moisture away from the baby...so when you say they wick and that is a bad thing I'm getting confused (which is not hard for me to do)...I jsut want to make certain I'm educated on this.

Tristan's first 48 hours the diaper is saturated...does that mean that is "wicking". I guess I'm confused in that I put fleece in there to "wick". So when is it bad, when is it good???

blnony
04-14-2003, 08:24 AM
Neve-
I'm going to try and post a link, I hope it works. (I've never done it before...)
Its a "diaper dictionary", I've found it very useful to help wade through all the diaper stuff out there.
http://stacyshomefront.tripod.com/RDdictionary.htm

mama2be
04-14-2003, 09:24 AM
thanks...i feel like i know a lot from research but find new questions that i have now that i'm doing it...some of these sort of answers aren't out there...

sorry typing one handed...i'll check that out...

egoldber
04-14-2003, 09:48 AM
Neve, she probaly means wicking onto the baby's clothes. So wicking the moisture outside the diaper/cover is a bad thing!

parkersmama
04-14-2003, 08:33 PM
Moving this thread up to the top. :-)

AngelaS
04-15-2003, 06:55 AM
Yep, I meant that the urine went thru the diaper onto her clothes (and blankets, and sheet, and mattress pad). NOT a good thing.... sigh....

marie
04-18-2003, 04:38 PM
Brianna-
thank you so much for that link! i am a newbie here and just registered so i could ask you all what some of these acronyms are! glad i registered anyway since i'm leaning toward CDs and have plenty of questions. . .

one that wasn't on the list was CPF - something Pre-Fold?

i look forward to learning more from this friendly group!

mamahill
04-18-2003, 04:45 PM
CPF refers to "Chinese Pre-Fold." There are European ones, but they're harder to find. Neve bought these from a gal on eBay. 95% of prefolds are "Chinese." I'm not sure what the difference is, but they're the basic dipes our moms used.

Then of course, there's bleached and unbleached, and the sizes... :) I swear cding is a science!

Oh, and welcome to the boards! Glad to have you Marie!

sparkeze
04-19-2003, 01:50 AM
If you have a cotton fabric(such as something nice and cute!) on the outside eventually the moisture seeps out and gets on the outer fabric. Same thing can happen with foldover elastic. Usually what you get with wicking is dampness on the outside which probably means damp clothes too! If you're using something like plastic pants on the outside and the clothes get damp then it just plain leaked.

Did that make any sense?

sparkeze
04-19-2003, 01:58 AM
I prefer WAHM diapers myself.

IMHO, front snapping can give a trimmer fit than side snapping, but it also depends on the diaper itself. I guess it would be more accurate to say that front snapping has more potential of being trim. Side snapping are nice because you can adjust the waist and thigh fits a little more independently of one another which is very nice if your baby happens to have big thighs/small waist like mine! (or vice versa).

I love hemp! I've never tried Crickett's but I have Buckeye Bottoms, Mom & Me Creations, Sugarpeas, Liz's Cloth, well, basically all our fitteds are hemp except for a handful of them. Not only is hemp super absorbant, it is also naturally antimicrobial! If you buy hemp fitteds you shouldn't need any kind of liner/doubler for day use. Unless your little one can pee! But even so you shouldn't need anything additional.

Melanie
04-19-2003, 02:00 AM
I should clarify that I've bought others which I'ver heard of, off of eBay and they're fine. The ones that are TOTAL Junk are Funky Babies. I cut them open last night, the "soaker" is two layers of polyester microfleece (which is not absorbant) and one layer of cut up old hand towel. No Joke.