PDA

View Full Version : New To CD

anguschick1
04-10-2003, 08:58 PM
Sorry if someone has asked this before and I'm just missing it on the boards, but I'm due in May and want to buy my cd's now (especially after reading about all this washing I have to do!) For one baby, how much do I buy, where is the best place and what/how many do I buy? Also, where can I find out what all these abbreviations mean? It took me a minute to figure out that CD meant cloth diapering.

Thanks!

blnony
04-11-2003, 07:05 AM
I didn't cloth diaper my daughter until she was 7 months, so I can't really help with newborn needs, but a good resource on cloth diapering is diaperpin.com. Its a great place to start.
Good luck.

egoldber
04-11-2003, 09:44 AM
Hi! I would start by reading this thread: http://www.windsorpeak.com/dcforum/DCForumID52/4.html

There are links in it to other great "starting off" threads. And if you have more questions, ask away!!!

natividad
04-11-2003, 10:40 AM
I bought some CDs before DS was born to try out and have been CDing DS from newborn stage. I started out very conservative: a dozen CPF's from naturalebaby.com, Kissaluv contours, Kissaluv fitteds and Prorap cover from Colleen at naturalbabies.com and One Size, Sandy and Airflow cover from Mother Ease. I did not wash my CDs before DS's arrival just in case I needed to return/exchange something.

I do not recommend that you purchase your entire stash before the baby is born. My advice is to try out a couple of things first to see what you like. Even after six weeks post partum, I am still trying things out to see what CD system works for me and DS. I still use disposables (Tushies brand) for going out and nighttime, for example. Eventually, I will be CDing DS full-time.

What is working out so far for us is CPF's and Kissaluv contours in cheap vinyl covers, believe it or not. This is the most basic system for CDing. I am now going to add more fitteds (I am not sure what brands yet) and One Size diapers by Mother Ease. I will most likely skip All in One diapers. I find that as long as I have a great cover, I don't need an All in One, but that is just me.

So, I would definitely start out small, trying out a variety of things. Do try out CPF's - they are cheap and it nice to have a dozen or two around in case you run out of contours or fitteds.

Finally, some of the common abbreviations are:

CD - cloth diaper (obviously)
AIO - All in One diaper
ME - Mother Ease
OS - One size diaper
FB - Fuzzibuns diapers
CPF's - Chinese Prefolds

I am sure I am missing some and perhaps others can add to this list.

HTH,
Naty, Mommy to Alexander 2/26/03

parkersmama
04-14-2003, 08:28 PM
To the top. :-)