PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried hemp prefolds?

egoldber
04-11-2003, 03:38 PM
So I am on a CPF kick lately. For nighttime, I am curious about trying hemp prefolds for extra absorbancy. The only ones I know of are the Babykicks ones and the Samuels prefolds from Mom and Me Creations. Anyone tried these or others?

mamahill
04-11-2003, 05:56 PM
:o One more thing for me to drool over? You've said my favorite word: hemp. Yet another thing added to my diaper dream list. Please oh please someone tell me these are as wonderful as they sound!

Kate888
04-11-2003, 06:42 PM
I LOVE hemp, especially hemp fleece!! So yummy and soft! I've never tried hemp prefolds though (Maya is too squirmy for prefolds). I've read raves about BabyUnderWraps' "Rainfold", but the shipping is not the fastest. Will do some research later...

Editted to add:

The hemp prefolds that constantly get great reviews are
1. "Super Delux" by Polar Babies
http://www.diapercovers.com/cgi-bin/diaper/diapers
They have the biggest selections of sizes and layers.

2. "Nighty Newt" by Little Lounging Lizards
http://www.littlelounginglizards.com/soakers2.html

You can also find hemp prefolds here:
http://www.diaperware.com
http://www.chesapeakediaperco.com

HTH,

Kate
Mama to Maya 2-17-02

egoldber
04-11-2003, 08:58 PM
Thanks!

I have also read that the only hemp prefold you can use a Snappi with is the one from Mom and Me creations. Anyone heard anything about that?

Calmegja
04-11-2003, 09:25 PM
On the Chesapeake website, it specifically mentions hemp prefolds with a Snappi....but in the back of my mind, I feel like I've heard warnings against using the snappis before, too, but on which ones, I don't know....

Are the prefolds at Mom and Me made of something different? I also remember talking about Snappis on a Rainfold....

I'll ask the gurus at MDC....

Calmegja
04-12-2003, 07:45 AM
Okay...here's the deal...the weave is so tight on most hemp prefolds that to Snappi it takes Heculean strength, and even if you get it in there, it will pop off...

Some people have had luck with Mom and me, Lounginlizards, and Polarbabies. Some people haven't. All of them recommended always using a cover with hemp, because even if you get a Snappi on the prefold, it may not stay put...

Clear as mud, eh? ;-)

Kate888
04-12-2003, 10:33 AM
If you check the Lounginglizards site, you can see that she made the corners of her hemp prefolds with terry (the prefolds, not the soakers). Therefore, you can snappi for a tight fitting. She has pictures to demonstrate it, too.

HTH,

Kate
Mama to Maya 2-17-02

zen_bliss
04-12-2003, 03:56 PM
i bought a dozen babykicks prefolds. i've pre-washed them and they're ready to go, but I haven't had the chance to use them yet. they are so yummy and soft. she has auctions of 'seconds' on eBay from time to time if you want to give them a try!

egoldber
04-12-2003, 08:38 PM
Thanks all. I've ordered a Babykicks and a PolarBabies to try. I have also been VERY brave and ordered a set of pins! ;) :)

AngelaS
04-14-2003, 07:03 AM
I tried Hempers and I HATED them! I washed them on hot about 10 times and they NEVER got softer! They were so stiff that I couldn't imagine them on dd's sweet hiney! LOL

I bought hemp FLATS from Heavenly Hineys and cut them in half. They are fleece and nice and soft. Cut in half, they're the right size to fold down for soakers and they dry REALLY fast! :)

egoldber
04-14-2003, 07:29 AM
Thanks for the warning!

I may also get some hemp prefolds from Mom and Me and from Little Lounging Lizards, but I will probably wait until the two I ordered come in.

parkersmama
04-14-2003, 08:33 PM
Moving this thread up to the top. :-)

egoldber
04-17-2003, 12:20 PM
Sarah is napping in her Babykicks hemp prefold now. :) It is SOOO soft! I seemed to be able to Snappi it just fine, so we'll see whan she wakes up from her nap.

Edited to add: It worked really well for naptime today. She barely seemed wet when she woke up. It's in the laundry now and my plan is try it for nighttime tomorrow night. The Snappi seemed to work great with it. :)