PDA

View Full Version : CDing for dummies

marit
04-05-2003, 03:47 PM
I am completely clueless when it comes to CD, but am very curios about this option. What are the reasons people have for choosing CD's? Are there any other reasons than the environment? How much extra work is it over disposables? Do you wash them yourself or have a service come pick it up? How much does it cost?

Thanks,
Marit

nathansmom
04-05-2003, 04:02 PM
The reason I'm trying CD's is Nathan seems to be allergic to everything but huggies. I am washing them myself and it doesn't seem to be more work than disposables. I spent about $200 to start but wanted to try one of everything. It seems there are discounts when you buy 6 or more of the same.

HTH

Kate888
04-05-2003, 05:49 PM
I started CDing out of curiosity :) Once I tried it, I was hooked!! There isn't much extra work actually. I just do an extra laundry every 3-4 days. Other benefits didn't occur to me until later. For example, I no longer have to go out and buy disposables when it's snowing and cold. Our garbage pail is no longer so full that we can't put the lid on. Trying all different kinds of CDs is fun. I had no idea there are so many to choose from. Plus, I don't like the smell of disposable diapers (when they're unused, I mean).

Kate
Mama to Maya 2-17-02

blnony
04-05-2003, 06:07 PM
I just decided to try it out of curiousity too, and now I'm hooked. I never realized how uncomfortable disposable diapers really seemed until I started CDing. I wash my own, and its not that bad at all. I use flushable liners, but even when I don't, the clean up is not at all as bad as I thought it would be. I've probably spent about $200 or a little more, but if you compare 300 or so dollars to what you pay for disposables over time, its a real money saver. I think its also been good for DD's skin, I hardly ever have to use diaper cream anymore. I think they fit better too because we've never had a blow out in Cloth, and the only time we've had a leak is because of my error, so its been nice not having to clean up her clothes too.

marit
04-05-2003, 06:12 PM
Thank you all for your answers.

When you put them in the laundry, do you somehow clean all the poop from the diaper first? otherwise, isn't it like spreading it more equally over everything? :7

KathyO
04-05-2003, 11:18 PM
I scrape the diaper, but I know folks who don't bother. I set the washer for a second rinse, and have never had a problem with "residue"...

When I did the math for my CD setup, it came out at about 1/3 the cost of disposables. It'll be practically free for baby #2... just the cost of running the washer twice a week (and I line-dry half the year)... and even after all that, they'll have some resale value!

We did disposables for the first few weeks after DD was born, and I felt really uncomfortable with the huge garbage bag of diapers that was going out to the curb (and from there to the municipal landfill) every single week. On the using-up-water front, I calculated that cloth diapering, even with the second rinse, worked out the same as having the child flush the toilet a couple of times a day. Which she'll be doing anyway some day, and nobody seems to think that a toilet-trained child is a big threat to the water supply...

I still can't get over the reactions of people when they hear that you cloth-diaper... you can see the thought bubble over their heads with an image of you laboriously pounding diapers on the rocks beside the river... it's not hard, REALLY it isn't!!! And how, after centuries of cloth diapering, did we develop this gigantic phobia about baby poo? It's baby doodoo, it's not plutonium!

Soap-box-ing again...

Cheers,

KathyO

parkersmama
04-07-2003, 11:53 AM
I am cracking up at your "pounding on the rocks" image! I know what you mean. I'm almost afraid to even mention to anyone other than just a couple of folks that I've decided to CD our new baby. I live in a town where people think that God created everything for them to use up and what's the purpose in recycling anyway?! Also, everyone here is all about convenience...disposable everything for them! I can't wait to get started CDing and I really hope it turns out to be as easy for me as you make it sound!

KathyO
04-07-2003, 01:59 PM
Yeah, it's amazing how people who haven't even tried it are so keen to tell you how impossible it will be...

I do recommend disposables for the first couple of weeks, while you attempt to reassemble the million pieces that this tiny baby has blown your life into... and yes, CDing is a bit awkward and trial-and-error at first, but then, so will everything else be. This approach also allows you to try out different CDs and decide what suits you best before you go whole hog.

Once you've got your setup, though, you'll find that it's a cinch. Even easier than the rest of the laundry in some ways. Clothing laundry has to be sorted, and folded when you're done; diapers can just be dumped back in the basket beside the change table!

Have fun,

KathyO

natividad
04-07-2003, 05:04 PM
I started CDing mainly due to environmental concerns, but as I started researching all the different cloth diaper options, I became more curious about trying different diapers. I also like the cost effective factor. I am CDing my 5 week old part-time for now until I come up with a night and going out diapering system. For now, we are doing Kissaluv contours and CPFs for day time and Tushies gel and chemical free disposibles for nighttime and going out. I am still working on my "system" and eventually I will be CDing DS full-time.

Naty
Mommy to Alexander 2/26/03

C99
04-07-2003, 07:09 PM
I dunno, actually, where I got the idea. I think I somehow had the idea that CD'd kids have an easier time of potty-training, simply b/c the cloth allows kids to know when they are wet/poopy. I don't know if this is actually the case, but that was my crackpot theory that started it all. I suppose it's also partly because I have the original "Earth Mother" for a mother: she breastfed and used CDs with me in the early 70s (and w/ my sibs). She also rails constantly for personal and collective responsibility and respect for the environment. And finally it is because what I read about the chemicals in 'sposies kind of scared me.

With my husband, I have used the argument that CDs are cheaper, but since I've spent over $300 on dipes and Nate's still in the smallest sizes, I don't think either of us really "buys" that argument. :)

marit
04-07-2003, 07:12 PM
Forgive me for asking, but what chemicals???

C99
04-07-2003, 07:28 PM
What I read was mostly at Heather's site http://punkinbutt.com/diaper_drama.html

zen_bliss
04-07-2003, 09:57 PM
check out the punkinbutt saga and the articles at borntolove.com.

the short answer is: disposables contain superabsorbant polyacrylate gel crystals. definitely not nice for the landfill and would you want that up against YOUR dainties 24 hours a day? yuk. or would you like nice soft cotton or fleece? ahhhh.

cloth just made obvious sense to me on a number of topics:

environment
no gas wasted driving to buy disposables, no packaging to toss out, no giant mound of trash (that particularly has always outraged me, and 'disposable culture' generally). disposable fans like to defend them on the topic of water usage -- what about the water usage and pollution involved in mass production of your disposables: processing the cotton pulp, manufacturing the plastic, the inks for the packaging, and nevermind the chemical gels, on an industrial level? it's not even close.

personal money management & ethics
if you are having more than one child, the second one is diapered for free (other than your minimal washing expenses). there's also a subtler economy to it -- do you want your dollars going to corporations and their agendas, or directly to work at home moms? each of those sites have calculators for you to compare. note that dipes have a close to retail resale value if you take a look on eBay!

health of child
cotton vs. chemical gunk against the delicate parts, as mentioned above. it also makes sense that a CD child potty trains earlier because they feel the wetness, it is not disguised by the gel crystals.

CDing isn't the gerber prefolds and pins of years ago. seeing the motherease one-size dipes is pretty much what sold me on it!

parkersmama
04-08-2003, 11:44 AM
I am planning on disposables probably until the cord falls off. Fortunately this is my 3rd child so I expect that I'll be familiar with most of the newborn stuff and it won't be too hard to deal with that and move on with the CDs. I'm a little concerned but still looking forward to it! :-)

KathyO
04-08-2003, 10:31 PM
Oops - yeah, that bit about the baby blowing your life into a million pieces is part of my stock advice about cloth diapers. My apologies! You would know more about it than most of us! Obviously I was not being careful about reading your full signature... As we used to say in my gang, "Ten dollars not-paying-attention tax!!" Can I plead preggo brain? Seriously, though, I'm more than a tad scared of the transition from one to two. I barely feel like I'm on top of things as it is. I am open to any and all words of wisdom on this subject (and that includes anyone else around here who's been down this road more than once!)

You WILL enjoy CDing, though... it is weirdly, inexplicably, addictive!

Best,

KathyO

parkersmama
04-08-2003, 11:31 PM
No apology necessary!!! Having a newborn is overwhelming no matter how many times you've done it! LOL!

I'm already addicted to CDing and haven't even done it yet! Strange how it can just take you over. :-)

I'm certainly hoping that the transition from 2 to 3 is easier than 1 to 2. There are definitely things that are easier such as you already know how to bathe, diaper, and hold a newborn. You know how to buckle them into a carseat or stroller. You know by now that they aren't breakable and that a little bit of crying won't kill them or you. But, there are a lot of things to figure out. Such as how to get two kids into bed every night! And how to make sure that you pay enough attention to each child especially when the new one is demanding so much of you. Getting two kids in and out of the car to go shopping or to church or where ever is quite a challenge. But, like all things, you get it figured out and it gets simpler with time. Breastfeeding and baby care certainly was a LOT easier the 2nd time around for me. I felt very confident with the baby and nursing seemed to establish so much easier. Now, whenever I just have one child with me I think "what did I think was so hard about one?!?" I'm sure that in a year I'll be thinking, "what did I think was so hard about two?!?" LOL! Funny how it's all about perspective. On the other hand, I have absolutely no regrets about having more than one child. My boys are both the best of friends and the worst of foes. They love each other passionately and I love to watch their interaction with each other. They are both extremely excited about adding a little sister to the family. Even though Parker is 2 1/2 years older than Wesley, he doesn't remember life before having a sibling and that's really fine with me. I hope they'll always be close and that's one of the reasons that we had them close together. When it's all said and done, you'll really love having two children!

egoldber
04-09-2003, 10:43 PM
I just thought I'd add my 2 cents now that I'm back. :)

I started out of curiosity and because of environmental reasons. Now I just like them because I think they are better diapers and better for your baby.

I used disposables for 14 months with Sarah, and I would say it is different work than disposables, but not more work. You do more laundry, but you never run out of diapers or have to go to the store to buy more. And if you're like me, if you walk into Target to buy diapers, you walk out with $50 of other things too. I calculated that I spent $1400 on disposables in those 14 months. So unless someone goes really over the top with cloth and it becomes more of a hobby, you will certainly save money.

I just got back from a trip where I used disposables for 4 days and all I can say is ick. I never realized how much the disposables smell until after using cloth for so long and then using disposables again.

marit
04-09-2003, 11:57 PM
Thank you all for your answers! I can't wait for my first order to come in. I just ordered one Bumkins AIO and one Fuzzy bunz to try.

Is there a washing ritual before the first use, like I read somewhere with the CPF's? Do you scrape off the poop before puting in the laundry?

Thanks,
Marit

egoldber
04-10-2003, 09:17 AM
I would wash the FB once before use (there are usually instructions that come with it). The Bumkins should be washed at least once, and up to 3 times would probably increase its absorbancy.

I use fleece liners or flushable liners in my diapers. What comes off goes in the toilet. If the diaper is really bad or I forgot a liner (it happens), I use toilet paper to get most of it off. The rest comes off in the washing machine just fine. :) I do not scrape or dunk on a routine basis.

HTH,