PDA

View Full Version : Calling all CD experts!!

gravymommy3
04-08-2003, 01:14 PM
Ok, I have decided to pull the plug and cloth diaper my kids. I have not even discussed this with DH (he will think that I have completely lost my mind, but hey, that's another post for another day!!)

Ok, here are the specifics. DS is 3 1/2 (he really needs to be trained by now, but can you guess who is running this show?) and he weights about 34 lbs and is right at 40 inches tall. He currently wears size 3 pampers cruisers (a little snug but he can fit in them). His sister is 17 months old and is 24ish lbs and 31ish inches tall. She is a chunkster (very meaty thighs - her brothers are very very skinny - figures the male got the good thighs, huh?) and she also wears size 3 pampers.

I want to do this as cheaply as possible since there will not be other kids to use these later. I also don't want to do laundry every day.

Please, please, please tell me what kinds of diapers I should buy. I know I have asked before and someone recommended CPFs. I do not want to use pins - what should I use instead? I am willing to spend more for convenience and absorbancy is a big must - DS can wet through a pampers at night with no problem!! I don't care about rubber-sounds and bulk does not bother me that much (as long as the kids can still walk!)

Where do you get the diaper pails and what type do you get? I guess I am asking for a lot of hand-holding on this and I would appreciate any and all help in this matter. Also, if you have preferred places or people you buy from, please add that info.

Thanks very very much!

Kate888
04-08-2003, 02:00 PM
Hi Amy, I can't suggest any specific brands to try (DD is on the slender side and is only 13mos), but here are some thoughts...

If you want to try CPFs (they're the most economic choise), you can use a snappy instead of pins. Some mothers don't even use anything to fasten CPFs. They just lay it in the cover like so
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kfegelman/index.htm
http://page.ivillage.com/ulrikedg/id4.heml

For heavy wetters, hemp is the best!! It's very absorbant. You can get hemp prefords or hemp fitted. You can also use regular CPFs for day and add hemp doublers for night (more economic). It's cheaper to get hemp diapers without fleece-topped soakers. Just go to any fabric store and buy microfleece to use as liners. No sewing involved, just cut it with sharp scissors.

A lot of us here get diaper pails from Target. Do a search, I think there is a recent thread about it.

I'd recommend buying from naturalbabies.com. Colleen is easy to work with and she has a big selection of different diapers and doublers. And the shipping is only 3.95 regardless how much you buy.

HTH :)

Kate
Mama to Maya 2-17-02

C99
04-08-2003, 02:01 PM
Another recommendation to buy from Colleen. In fact, I would just e-mail her and tell her what you told us, give her a budget and see what she says. I e-mailed her when I wasn't sure which CPFs to get and she was really helpful. And her recommendation was pretty much spot-on to what I needed.

HTH

mamahill
04-08-2003, 02:19 PM
I only have Fuzzibunz and CPFs, and I don't even use the snappis I have. I use the FBs at night with the JoeyBunz hemparoos, but have also stuffed with a CPF. I've heard some moms using a CPF and a JB.

I have 4 prorap covers. They're velcro and very economical. You can get seconds (no difference, that we can tell) by calling Proraps directly. I don't have the number off my head, but Neve did this (maybe do a search?). I also have a Bummis and a Bumkins cover. As long as you have a fitted cover, you really don't need to use pins or a snappi. The links provided above show how I do it. Just fold the CPF in thirds and lay it in the cover, than flip the whole thing up over baby. Voila!

That being said, I am going to buy a MotherEase Airflow cover soon, and since that is NOT fitted, will use my snappis then.

I second (or third?) talking to Colleen. I was going to get all regular CPFs, but she called me (bc my computer was down) and after talking to her, I ended up splitting the package and getting 12 reg, 12 premium. I'm glad I did.

Good luck! It is so fun! I'll be more than happy to hold your hand -- I received the same when I began my foray into the land of cloth. Haven't regretted it YET! (only regret is not doing it sooner)

mama2be
04-08-2003, 06:37 PM
for seconds 1-800-397-8594

gravymommy3
04-08-2003, 06:41 PM
Thanks to all. I am so confused about what needs snappis or pins, what can be used with or without a cover, what color the sky is, etc. I do appreciate all your help. I really wish I had done this sooner (it would have made spending all this money easier knowing I would have gotten longer use out of it! Oh well)

Thanks

Kate888
04-08-2003, 08:05 PM
Snappis and pins are used on prefolds or some contours (you don't "have to" use them). Fitteds or AIOs work like disposables with either a snap or aplix closure.
Most of us started CDing with lots of confusion, so don't hesitate to ask questions :) We're here to help!!

Kate
Mama to Maya 2-17-02

todzwife
04-08-2003, 08:22 PM
Don't worry about spending $ because most cloth dipes have excellent resale value even if they are used!
Shandelle :)