PDA

View Full Version : Wool covers for CDs for the hotter climates

mama2be
04-08-2003, 11:51 AM
we are already hitting some 70 and low 80 days (though this week is cool and rainy)...but wanted to know what you all thought about wool covers in this kind of climate and then up into the 90s which we will see most of the summer.

I have tons of Prowrap covers but Julie (Julies stuff) thought they were for CPFs and didn't know if they would work well over my Cricketts...any insight into that as well...

I am looking at purchasing either the Imse Vimse Wools or the Aristocrats...

Thanks in advance!!!

C99
04-08-2003, 12:42 PM
I have no experience with this, but I just wanted to point out that wool is an all-season fabric and because it's natural, very breathable -- probably more so than the Prowraps. It's not seen as much nowadays, but you used to be able to find tailored clothes in summer-weight wool. Just something to think about.

nohomama
04-08-2003, 12:57 PM
I used a Bumpy Wool cover on Lola last summer without a problem. The only thing you might want to consider is that because wool is such a breathable fabric, moisture tends to wick through them and get to baby's clothes. It's not like Lola's clothes were ever wet enough to wring out. Her bum just always felt a little damp when she was in a wool cover. I found the same to be true with fleece covers as well.

Momof3Labs
04-08-2003, 01:22 PM
I've had no problem using Proraps with Crickett's - they have worked with all of my covers so far (ME Airflow, Proraps, Bumpy PUL).

Anything will be warm on Tristan's bum in hot weather - the Proraps don't breathe well, so those will be hot, too. I don't know the answer because I've only dealt with cold weather and diapers so far, but I suspect that everything is hot (including 'sposies).

parkersmama
04-08-2003, 05:09 PM
I've wondered about that myself, Neve! We have such hot, humid summers here in Georgia that I figured I'd end up with no wool covers. Even though everyone says that they are breathable, I think that just touching one myself during the summer would drive me crazy! But, truthfully, I don't wear very much wool myself even in the winter because I find it rather itchy. Dh wears wool suits and socks year-round and they don't bother him.

I do agree with whoever pointed out that even disposables are hot in the summer. My boys have always been sensitive to them in the summer heat and often get that "prickly heat" rash in their diaper areas. When they were small I used to let them go diaperless some every day to help that area dry out! Diapers just seem to hold the moisture in TOO effectively! Changing the diaper often seems to be a key factor, as well.

If you do try the wool covers, let me know how you like them in the summer. I'll be interested to see what your take on them is.

mama2be
04-08-2003, 05:35 PM
Caroline...thanks for bringing that to my attention you are right now that I think about it classic outfits of years ago were light wool, that makes me feel so much better about an expensive purchase

Sarah...I'm glad you brought that to my attention about the wetness...I think it saves me so much time to prevent him from getting wet (as well as spitting up) because of the changing of clothes, more to wash etc...I'd hate for pee to get on his clothes and thus on other things too...

Lori...I am sooo glad that you used Prowraps with Cricketts because that is ideal for me right now. Julie had not used Prowraps in years so she supected they were only good for PFs so thrilled that I can use them. I can't wait for these to get here...

Denise...If I get some I promise I'll give my review...I must say these ladies convinced me not to worry about hot weather with them!!!