PDA

View Full Version : Oh, why did I wait until Colleen went on vacation to decide to try CDing?

celfsh
04-02-2003, 01:48 PM
So I stewed and stewed about it and finally decided to give CDs a shot...you CDing mommies just sounded like you were all having way too much fun! Anyway, of course I waited around to order until Colleen went on vacation (just had to order from her based on everyone's raves), and now I have to wait a week for my stuff to ship! Poor me...now that I've finally made up my mind, I want to get started right away!

I can't tell you how excited (albeit overwhelmed) I am--even DH is being supportive, which is funny because he is SUCH a germophobe (think Jerry on Seinfeld) and practically has a panic attack every time he changes DD! I think the thing that swayed him was when I mentioned that his mom would probably think it was totally weird...suddenly, he was completely onboard. LOL!

Anyway, that made me wonder--what do all your moms and MILs think about your decision to CD? Just curious.

celeste
mom to olivia 9/25/02
http://homepage.mac.com/the_big_fish

Momof3Labs
04-02-2003, 02:30 PM
My MIL doesn't know, and probably won't ever know - she sees Colin maybe twice a year and "doesn't do diapers."

My mom thinks its kinda cool, especially because the diapers and stuff are so fun and cute (even the plain ones) compared to what she had to use on me 30 years ago!

nathansmom
04-02-2003, 04:36 PM
My mom thinks I'm nuts to try them. She thinks nowdays no one should use cloth diapers, that they are a thing of the past. She has stated that if is going to watch Nathan she wants disposable diapers.

KathyO
04-02-2003, 04:38 PM
My mom CD'ed with us, but the old-fashioned hard way, with square gauze diapers that had to be folded and pinned just right so they don't leak or fall around the kid's ankles! She gave me a package of square gauze diapers when I told her I was checking out CDs... I think she was a little nonplussed when I went with these fancy-dancy Motherease Sandies instead, but after a couple of changings, she was a convert! Now she'll call and ask to borrow one because she wants to show it to one of her friends...

Cheers,

KathyO

parkersmama
04-02-2003, 05:39 PM
Well, I haven't worked up the courage to tell my MIL yet (no doubt she'll think I've lost my mind!) but my mom thinks it's cool. Mostly for environmental reasons, I believe. My brother & SIL just had a baby in February and they are using them, too, so she's already had a taste of what they are like. Of course, tons better than when she used them on us!!

C99
04-02-2003, 08:07 PM
I must be odd-woman out. My mom was so supportive of my decision to use CDs. She used CDs w/ all of us, including my sister who was born in 1989. My MIL also used CDs with her kids, but the youngest was born in 1973, so it was slightly different. My MIL babysat on Sunday and although I gave her the option to use a disposable, I was impressed that she did put an AIO on Nate when she changed him!

Karenn
04-02-2003, 08:34 PM
My mom thinks I'm crazy, but she's trying really hard not to show it. I think I'm slowly winning her over. :) My MIL is another story. This is the woman who had a fit when she found out I was going to use disposables and annouced that she "can't hold babies who wear disposable diapers." (She has been able to hold Colin on many occasions for the first 9 months of his life. Don't know how she managed it!) So when I told her I was switching, I had braced myself for an "I told you so" experience. Well, she took one look at my stash, announced that they certainly weren't like the cloth diapers SHE had used, and that was it! I really don't think she liked them any better than the disposables I'd been using! Oh well- at least she kept her mouth shut for the most part.

todzwife
04-02-2003, 09:04 PM
I haven't told my mother yet. I asked her what she thought of cloth diapering "in general" and her (very mature) comment was "ewww yuck!" LOL! Since I am only 22, and the OLDEST of 7, she used sposies on all of us. MIL was a different story though. She used cloth, and I actually will probably tell her first. :)
Shandelle ;)

celfsh
04-02-2003, 10:13 PM
A family of 7, huh? Cool--I am the 6th of 8!

celeste
mom to olivia 9/25/02

Melanie
04-03-2003, 01:51 AM
OMG! That video on your site is so cute! You must have a digital camcorder, right?

AngelaS
04-03-2003, 08:03 AM
If my mom was still alive, I know she'd think it was great. Heck, she'd probably be helping me make them.

MIL is rather indifferent. She doesn't ever change dd's diapers so she doesn't care. She loves to shop tho, so I bet if I clued her in on the all the cute sites, she'd probably buy me some. LOL

celfsh
04-03-2003, 11:37 AM
Thanks, Melanie! Yeah, we do have a digital cam...and maybe a little too much time on our hands? LOL! With all the hours of footage we've already accumulated, we have to do SOMETHING with it!

celeste
mom to olivia 9/25/02

MelissaTC
04-03-2003, 02:32 PM
I think my Mom thinks I am a little out there but she is used to it. My Aunt is 12 yrs older than me so I have a 7 & 9 yr old cousins and they were cded. My Mom tends to support whatever I choose to do.

My MIL kept saying "oooh...and the rubber pants?" I wanted to scream! I had explained a million times that he does not wear rubber pants but she only hears what she wants to, I guess. She has NEVER changed Matthew (which kind of annoys me but that is another thread) so it won't be an issue for her :)

Melanie
04-03-2003, 11:44 PM
My MIL has also never changed a diaper! She's only really witnessed one, and it was a terrible poopy, she didn't even offer to help. Just kept chatting. The only 1 thing she said was, as I used about the zillionth disposable wipe, "you sure go through a lot of those, don't you?" (eyeroll)

sparkeze
04-04-2003, 03:28 AM
My mom kept telling me while I was pregnant that I should use cloth but I didn't switch until DS was almost 6 mo. When I showed her all my cute stuff she oohed and awwed over everything.

My MIL remarked that it seemed like a lot of work to wash the diapers but commented that we must be doing it because it's cheaper. Little does she know how much a diaper costs! LOL!

youngnan
04-04-2003, 01:56 PM
If anyone is looking for another place to buy diapers in the meanwhile, I recommend www.smartiepantsdiapers.com--They also have low flat-rate shipping, great selection and wonderful customer service. Bryana is a sweetheart. On my first order, I had canceled a fuzzi bunz from an order of prefolds and covers, and she sent it by accident and just let me keep it!

She's also running a promotion of including a 10% coupon for your next purchase and was having a sale on Burt's Bees. Her business is relatively new, but so far I've had only good experiences and I like that I'm supporting someone starting out...