PDA

View Full Version : question on CD's

nathansmom
03-29-2003, 02:36 PM
Okay I've placed my order and now I've read about prefolds. Do I really need to try prefolds? Don't you have to fold these every time you use them? If this is going to work I need easy to use diapers for dh or he won't help. I'm really just trying CD's to see how they will work for us. Nathan seems to be allergic to every type of disposable diaper out there.

lisams
03-29-2003, 03:42 PM
If you use a wrap (like prorap, bummis, bumkins) all you really need to do is fold it in 3, fan out the back, lay it in the cover and then fasten it on baby.

I didn't use prefolds on our DD until just recently (4 months). She was too small and I had a hard time keeping the prefold all tucked in. Now they fit her well, so my prefolds may have been too big.

They are definetly cheaper, especially for newborns, since they grow out of that size quickly. But if you're looking for a no-fuss diaper, then an AIO or a fitted with a cover would probably be the route to go. I personaly got too frustrated trying the prefolds when she was 2 weeks old and I thought that was the end of CDing until I tried my Bumkins AIO (which I love ;-) ).

Good Luck!!!!
Lisa

egoldber
03-29-2003, 03:55 PM
I used to not really like prefolds very much, but the more I use them, the more I like them. You may find them frustrating at first, but with practice, it gets much much easier. Personally I think it is worth having a half dozen or dozen laying around because a) they make great extra diapers in case laundry day gets stretched a bit and b) they are SOOOO cheap.

I do find I need to use a Snappi with mine. If I don't, the diaper ends up scrunching down in front.

HTH,

sparkeze
04-02-2003, 01:21 AM
They are nice to have around as backup but I rarely use mine. There was a time when I did more frequently but I have enough fitteds that I never get around to them. It is true that with practice it's not all that hard, and even my DH who swears by AIOs can do it, but both of us just prefer not to.

Maybe you should just stick with other CDs for now and once you get the hang of it try PFs? I've never been able to get a good fit without fastening them and although using a Snappi is pretty easy I always get freaked out that it's going to scratch DS if it happened to come loose.

malie
04-02-2003, 01:34 AM
No you don't really need to try prefolds. If you want to try them, then sure go ahead but the truth for cloth diapers is that there always seems to be another one you could try. It sort of defeats the purpose of trying to spend less money on diapers (by using something you reuse) if you keep buying more and more to try. Not saying that there aren't those of us out there who don't do that. If you are happy with what you have ordered, stick with them for now :) you can always try/buy prefolds later

C99
04-02-2003, 12:34 PM
No, you don't. I was *really* against CPFs at first -- and I prob would have gotten frustrated if I had used them from the beginning -- but I got some a few weeks ago and I have to say that I really like them. If I have a cover clean, I'll go straight for them if I am home. My husband will only use the AIOs, so I just keep them clean for him and use the fitteds and CPFs when I change him.