PDA

View Full Version : Diaper pail for CDs???

parkersmama
03-25-2003, 11:32 PM
I know that several of you have mentioned that you just use a basic trash can type diaper pail. I've been looking around for something that I thought was suitable and I'm having trouble figuring out what to buy. Of course, I've seen the fancier pails that are truly diaper pails and will hold CDs or disposables (I can't remember their names right now??). My problem with them is that they seem to be made for plastic bags and I plan to use a nylon bag and I'm not sure how that will work. Also, I don't like the narrow neck that most of them make you shove the diaper through to get it in the bag. What if bulkier CDs don't fit?

So, I purchased a can at Target today that is a regular trash can from Sterilite. I was looking for one that has a tightly closing lid which severely limited the options available. Here's a picture of the one I got: http://www.sterilite.com/Category.html?Section=Household&ProductCategory=55# It is the 28qt one (blue on this picture). Does anyone have this can? Is it big enough to hold about 2 days of diapers? If this one won't work well, does anyone have a picture of one that does so I can hunt it down?

Thanks for any advice you can give!

egoldber
03-25-2003, 11:52 PM
That is the exact can that I have. It just holds two days worth of diapers for us.

HTH,

lisams
03-26-2003, 12:45 AM
We have that one also! It fits about 2-3 days of diapers. It has worked very well for us! We haven't had a problem with it smelling either. I usually sprinkle a little baking soda in the bottom. I've also heard of people dipping a q-tip in lavender oil and taping it to the underside of the lid.

HTH!
Lisa

mamahill
03-26-2003, 01:36 AM
I have this one, thanks to Beth! haha. I can fit 3 days (and almost 4, if I really cram them in) worth. Ainsleigh is in mediums, fwiw. Oh, and I have one of those stick-ups stuck to the top with one of the citrus deodorizers in it (Colleen from naturalbabies.com stuck a free one in my order) and it smells DIVINE. Opening the can makes me salivate for a glass of fresh-squeezed orange juice...

parkersmama
03-26-2003, 10:40 AM
Thanks everyone! I was hoping I got the right one. I really don't want to spend a ton on a diaper pail. :-) Sarah, Colleen sent me one of those, too, but I haven't opened it yet since baby isn't here to make it necessary. Do you know how long they last?

Edited to add: I thought of another question! For those who do use a liner...what size Bummis liner fits this can? I know the size of the can is 28qt but I can't find the pail liners sized that way! TIA!

egoldber
03-26-2003, 02:13 PM
A Large Bummis liner fits perfectly.

HTH,

mamahill
03-26-2003, 02:52 PM
I have no idea how long these things last. Mine has been in there for... 3 weeks now? It's still going strong. Thinking about getting a few for DH's drawers... haha. Maybe mine as well ;). And just wanted to say that I, too, use the large Bummis bag and it fits perfectly.

parkersmama
03-26-2003, 10:30 PM
Thanks! I think I'm all set now. Hopefully I can finish up the baby's room (you KNOW I had to redecorate with a girl finally on the way!) and all I've have left to do is wash my dipes and wait for the pending arrival! :-)

Melanie
03-27-2003, 03:12 PM
Do you think this is toddler-proof?

mamahill
03-27-2003, 03:18 PM
Probably not. The only thing it takes to open it is to push down on the gray "button." I'm not too worried about it, though, since Ainsleigh is rarely in her room unsupervised. For the most part we are in the family room and kitchen areas, and we have a gate the prohibits her from getting to the stairs, and her room (not that she is that agile yet...).

parkersmama
03-27-2003, 03:47 PM
I agree...definitely NOT toddler-proof. Since I bought it the other day I've accidently opened it a bunch of times. For me it's not a big deal for the same reasons that Sarah said but if you're looking for toddler-proof you probably need to keep looking.

egoldber
03-27-2003, 04:34 PM
It's definitely NOT toddler proof. Since I still use the changing station on my PNP, I actually keep the pail INSIDE the PNP, along with all my diapering supplies. It keeps everything handy, but yet inaccessible to Sarah.

MelissaTC
03-30-2003, 03:04 PM
Is there anywhere to stick a deodisk in this? If someone already answered this, forgive me.

Melanie
03-31-2003, 05:47 PM
So I head to Target to get this can...but I can't remember which size of can you ladies suggested. So I stood there for about as long as my toddler would allow me to, studying the two sizes...finally opted for the big size when I couldn't tell if the smaller would hold more than our diaper champ. ggrr...now I have to go back!

Does anyone have this AND a Diaper Champ? Does it hold more? Our champ just isn't holding enough and if I don't do diapers daily it overflows...we use mostly toddler-size fitteds/AIOs so they're bulky.

Also, do the lids on your's actually 'click' onto the can in the back, or do they just rest on it? All the ones I tried only 'clicked' on in the front so I could just pull the back up easily...

Sorry...Melissa...I haven't seen a deodisk so I don't know.

Mommy to Jonah

malie
03-31-2003, 07:17 PM
Since they are designed to be garbage pails I'm pretty sure they all just click on in the front otherwise it would be more of a pain for someone who is trying to get the lid off to get their garbage bag out.

parkersmama
03-31-2003, 10:01 PM
The only place that a deodisk would work is somehow affixed to the inside of the top. There is definitely not a place built-in on the can for anything like that. I'm interested in using a deodisk as well so I'll let you know if I come up with a good solution!

MelissaTC
03-31-2003, 10:45 PM
Thanks! I am going to Target or should I say Tar'get tomorrow. The only reason why I ask about the deo disk is I happen to have a ton of them and I think they work well :)