PDA

View Full Version : Is it too late to CD?

gravymommy3
03-29-2003, 01:02 PM
I am tempted to start CDing. Would it make economic sense for me based on the following?

I have two kids currently in diapers. My DS, who is 3 1/2 and should be potty-trained already, shows no signs of being trained in the near future (he will probably be the only child in kindergarten in a diaper :) ) My little one is almost 17 months old, and again, she will probably not be trained anytime soon. I believe in letting them set their own pace on the training (did this with my oldest child and in the almost two years she has been trained, we have only had two nighttime accidents).

So, currently I spend around $70/month on disposible diapers for the two little ones, but if my son surprises me and trains soon, that will go down to around $45ish/month. How much money would I have to shell out to get enough CDs for two kids (DS and DD currently fit in size 3 pampers cruisers - DS is skinny at about 40.5 inches and maybe 35 pounds and DD is a chunker at 31 inches and 24ish pounds but with meaty thighs). Would they be in the same size CD? They are both healthy pee-pee'ers so if anyone has any suggestions on what type of CDs I should go with, that would be helpful I am very much an idiot on this subject - have never even considered it until now. Oh, by the way, I kind of despise doing laundry.

TIA

egoldber
03-29-2003, 02:16 PM
You can certainly save money BUT it depends on how you go about it.

If you use prefolds, you can get 2 dozen premium size prefolds for your 17 month old for about $45. Your 3 1/2 year old may be able to share these, at least for daytime, in which case I would get 3 dozen premiums. But the 3 1/2 year old may need to wear toddler size prefolds so you would probably want 2 dozen of those too. You would then need about 4-6 covers per child. If you use Proraps and get seconds (by calling their 800 number), the covers are about $4 each. if you buy them "new", they are about $6.50 each. This has GOT to be cheaper than disposables.

If you decide to use fitteds or AIOs, then you can still save money. Remember that diapers actually have great re-sale value on eBay and other places. You can usually count on getting back at least half of what you paid originally.

HTH,

gravymommy3
03-29-2003, 04:47 PM
It does help. I have a few more questions. Do you need pins with Proraps? I really don't want to do the pin thing. Also, are fitteds or AIOs easier than prefolds? I am all about convenience right now. TIA

egoldber
03-29-2003, 05:21 PM
Some people do not fasten prefolds at all. I don't have much luck with this myself. I use a Snappi.

This woman has put together a terrific site on some of the basics of using cloth diapers: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kfegelman/index.htm She shows how to just lay a prefold in a cover, use pins, Snappi, and using various types of folds. There are lots of pictures, so explore the site.

And this woman has a site with great pictures of using prefolds with her older child. She does not pin or Snappi at all: http://pages.ivillage.com/ulrikedg/id4.html

At first I thought fitteds were MUCH easier than prefolds. The more I use prefolds, the better I get at it and I don't find it to be a big deal. I have even considered selling all my fitteds and just using prefolds at home and AIOs when out and about. AIOs are generally simpler, and are really just like using a disposable.

HTH,