PDA

View Full Version : Everyone shove over....

candybomiller
03-27-2003, 11:20 AM
...I'm leaping on to the cloth diapering bandwagon. Poor DS has the worst (bleeding) diaper rash right now and it pains me to have to change his diaper. This is the final straw with the sposies. So, at 1 this morning I ordered the following:

ME one size diaper w/ snap in liner (1)
air flow cover (1)
Sandy's diaper (1)
ME AIO (1)
Rikki wrap (1)
Sandy's liners (4)
Fuzzibunz (1)
Crickett's hemp/cotton diaper (1)
Zippidy cotton fleece diaper (1)
Kushies Ultra AIO (1)
Bummis Super Whisper Wrap (1)
Night Imse Vimse Bumpy Cover (1)
Joey Bunz (3)
Bumkins AIO (1)
Bumpy day cover (1)

Is there anything that anyone absolutely LOVES that I'm missing? I've spent hours and hours going over the old posts, making notes, trying to figure all this out. I was hoping that it would be a good strategy to start with just one of each diaper to figure out what we liked and what we didn't. Any other words of wisdom?

Unfortunately, DH thinks I'm insane. He asked me if I fell and hit my head when I told him that I wanted to try CD'ing. (I hadn't, in case you were wondering) I know that cd'ing is a largely subjective thing, you should test drive before you buy, so to speak. Can anyone out there tell me if I'm going about this the wrong way???

Candy
(slight insane, but DIDN'T fall and hit my head)Mom to Matt, 5/22/02

egoldber
03-27-2003, 11:31 AM
That's pretty comprehensive! The only things you may want to think about also trying are:

Kissaluvs (also generally popular)
chinese prefold
Proraps Classic cover
fleece liners
flushable liners

Other than that, I think you have one of the most popular things to try. And I personally think that is the best way to start out.

And based on the fact that SO many otherwise sane and non-head traumatized people on this board also CD, it can't be that bad. :)

MelissaTC
03-27-2003, 11:46 AM
I'm sorry that your little one has such a bad rash :( But I think you are making a wise step, moving to cloth. My DS had all kinds of irritation from disposables, particularly the thinner variations- pampers baby drys, huggies ultratrims (the worst for him!). I hated finding gel balls on his genitalia. YUCK!

It seems like you have ordered a nice variety of products. Something is bound to work for you. You can always sell what doesn't on ebay or wahmmall and make most of your money (if not all in some cases) back.

Good luck to you and Matt! :)

parkersmama
03-27-2003, 11:49 AM
Good for you! My dh thinks I'm a little nuts, too, but I'm looking forward to CDing!

Especially since you ds has a rash right now, make sure that you have a CD compatible diaper cream. Although I haven't personally experienced it I've read a lot about the standards (Desitin, A&D, Balmex) not working well with CDs. The top-rated creams for CDs seem to be Aquaphor, Weleda Calendula cream, and Burt's Bees.

Let us know how you like everything. I'm especially interested in the covers you're trying and the Cricket's and Zippidy's since I don't have those! :-)

mharling
03-27-2003, 12:32 PM
I don't have any advice, but want to thank you for pulling your list together! I plan on CD'ing eventually and was thinking I'd need to go through the posts and make notes just like you did. Your list will save me lots of time! If things go as planned, I think I'll try CD'ing when the baby's a couple of months old. I decided it was just too much to think about at the very beginning when dh and I will already be overwhelmed. Good luck and let us know how it goes!!

Mary
EDD 4/5/03

Calmegja
03-27-2003, 01:09 PM
Sounds like a great start...I'm sure you'll find something to fall in love with out of those choices!

Melanie
03-27-2003, 03:04 PM
Wow! You have 1 of just about everything!

There's lots of WAHM that are well-loved, but they're hard to get and I think you've got a nice and comprehensive list there.

Just to make it a touch more confusing, you might want to check out www.lukesdrawers.com she always has lots in stock. I like her One Size Wonders and her Candy Wrappers. I've just ordered some with the new contour which should make it a bit more trim, too. Also, I use her All In Wonder and Goodnight Kiss for our 2 nighttime diapers. They are REALLY bulky but do the trick. I've got some Fuzzi Bunz and Happy Heinys (another Pocket diaper like fuzzi bunz) on order to try for nights as well.

If your Ds seems to rash still with the cloth diapers, try putting a fleece layer between him and the diaper. Your Fuzzi Bunz will already have this, but I don't know that your others will. This (polyester) fleece layer keeps their skin dry even if they are wet. (No, I'm not saying let them sit in a wet diaper all day, but my son gets little red dots almost instantly from the wetness).

Momof3Labs
03-27-2003, 03:08 PM
Candy,

Before Colin was born, I thought that CDing was a little nuts, too (no offense meant!!). Now that I am a mom, and am fed up with leaky diapers, diapers that don't fit right and gel balls, I have seen the light and think that CDing makes a lot of sense! If nothing else, there are TONS more choices than there are with disposables, so there is sure to be something that you will like. And they are SO DARN CUTE!!

I only have a day's worth of stuff so far, but have found it to be very easy. Even the washing isn't a big deal, I've found - but then, I've never had an issue with doing laundry. I do notice, though, that you have many of my favorites on your list (Crickett's hemp, ME Sandy, Bumpy covers, Joeybunz) so I hope that they work out for you! I agree with Beth about trying a Kissaluvs and a Proraps, too.

Let us know how it goes!!

sparkeze
03-28-2003, 01:10 AM
You should definitely find something you love out of that list! Is your DS prone to diaper rash? If so, you may want to try wool diaper covers (if he's not allergic to wool of course!) because it's great for breathability. Lately, my DS has been pooping several times a day and I can't hear him pooping nor smell it unless I pull open the back of his diaper and take a huge whiff so even though I check him every hour there are times when I don't get to changing his poopy diaper right away and he's been pretty rashy. I don't know why this happens though! But that's for another post. Anyways, to deal with his rash fleece next to his skin and wool covers (along with aquaphor) has been wonderful!

You will probably like AIOs for the first few weeks just cause they're more convenient, but once you get used to the whole thing you may change your mind. Lately with the rashiness, I've been letting DS run around with just a fitted and no cover as much as possible and that helps too. It's probably next best to letting him run around with a naked butt and peeing all over! :)

candybomiller
03-29-2003, 12:19 PM
That's really funny that you talk about letting your son run around with a naked butt and peeing all over. That's what I finally let DS do, and his diaper rash is clearing up a little. I also got a new kind of diaper rash cream to try (some obscure brand, can't remember the name, but it seems to be working). Anyway, DS peed several times on the carpet, but it's worth it as long as his diaper rash is clearing up! :)

Candy
Mom to Matt, 5/22/02