PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good diaper buying strategy??

sunny2003
03-19-2003, 01:13 PM
Hello there -

Since there are *so* many different opinions of what diaper brand is best and it seems fit will obviously depend on the actual size of the baby, do you think this is a good strategy?? I am told that I should buy 3 big packages of newborn diapers for the first few months of baby's life - what if I bought a package of Pampers, a package of Huggies and a package of house brand (say Toys R Us) and tried them all out in comparison? Is this a good idea or will I be stuck with useless diapers? I guess I could buy smaller packages of each but I am trying to avoid too many diaper buying trips, esp. during the recuperating days.

Thanks for your help!

Karenn
03-19-2003, 01:38 PM
I like your idea of buying 3 varieties, but I think I might buy the smaller packages. I was amazed at how quickly Colin outgrew the newborn size. I ended up with a lot of extra newborn diapers. I'd try the different diapers, see what fits, and what you like, and then buy the bigger packages.

Momof3Labs
03-19-2003, 02:17 PM
I wouldn't stock up on newborn diapers - we didn't use them at all, and Colin was only 8lbs, 4oz at birth. The size ones fit him better from the very beginning. Buy one (or maybe two) small package(s), and if they work you can always buy more. Stores like TRU and BRU will take back unopened packages, even if you don't have a receipt. Target will only take them back within 90 days AND with a receipt.

I'd suggest also buying a small package (or two) of size 1 diapers (any brand) to have on hand, in case the newborns don't work for you right away. You'll need them eventually anyways.

PS - three big packages of newborn diapers (do they even make big packages of newborn diapers?) is WAY too much, IMO, unless you have a very small baby.

egoldber
03-19-2003, 02:28 PM
Personally, I wouldn't start buying really large packages of diapers until size 3. Sarah did wear newborns for almost 2 months, but she didn't regain her birth weight (7lbs 5 oz) until 4 weeks and was about 8 1/2 pounds when we switched to size 1's. She was in 1's for about two weeks, then we were in 2's for several weeks, then 3's for several months and then 4's for about a year. We jusy started buying size 5's.

HTH,

MelissaTC
03-19-2003, 03:18 PM
I would ask and see if your doctor/midwife will be able to gauge how large your baby will be. The Dr. told me 8 lbs, the midwife 7 and my DS was 7 lbs, 10 oz. He wore newborn pampers swaddlers for about 4 weeks! He is a string bean. We went through a small pack a week. I found that I liked different disposables as he grew. I loved the Pampers Swaddlers when he was a newborn. IMO, they are the softest (after cloth) and held him in as best as a disposable would. We then tried Pampers Baby Dry & Huggies Ultratrim and that is where his rashes, etc.. began. I sometimes use disposables (we cloth diaper) and my favorites are Huggies Supreme. So I guess what I am saying is do not be afraid to try different brands. What may work for you at one size might not as he/she grows. But every baby is different. Good luck to you!

Melanie
03-19-2003, 04:26 PM
Ds only wore newborn for a couple of weeks...I'd buy a few really small packages of each brand...don't forget the Target Loving Touch...those were the best for us before he chunked up.

Mommy to Jonah

August Mom
03-19-2003, 04:35 PM
I agree. I would buy small packages of different brands of newborn diapers. I don't think I've ever seen large packages of newborn diapers anyway. However, I would not open and try all of the different brands simultaneously. Who knows, the first brand you try might work great. Then you can return the others and buy more of the first brand. If you open all the packages, then you're stuck with all the diapers. My DS was in newborn diapers until about 7 weeks. He was 7 lb. 6 oz. at birth. We liked the Pampers Swaddlers best. Plus, they have the cutout for the umbilical cord.

lukkykatt
03-19-2003, 04:44 PM
Definately have some on hand for when you get home. But don't forget that you will automatically get to try different brands. The hospital will provide diapers during your stay, and then you will probably get at least two different kinds in the free diaper bag that you get when you leave. That will give you a good chance to compare.

I have two boys, and we love Huggies Supreme. Mothers of girls tend to like Pampers better.

MinnieMouse
03-20-2003, 10:42 AM
We bought one pack of Huggies and one of Pampers...both newborn size before dd was born. Our hospital had Pampers and they totally didn't fit our skinny long dd at all. We broke out the Huggies when we got home and they fit great! BRU took back the unopened pack of Pampers no problem.

Dd was 7lbs, 10oz when born and was in size 1 for about a month or so.

If I were you I would have at least the two major brands on hand unopened. See how the hospital's diapers fit..then try the opposite ones at home. That will allow you to figure out which you prefer and which fits your child the best.

FWIW...we've since used samples of Pampers with dd when she was older and they fit okay, but dh doesn't like their smell. Just regular Huggies work great for us.

HTH

Christine

sunny2003
03-20-2003, 01:01 PM
Thanks so much for all the helpful hints! I really appreciate the "been there, done that" advice!

Now I just have to wait for the stork to bring my spring baby (and some warmer weather too)!

:)

LucyG
03-20-2003, 01:10 PM
Don't forget Luvs, too! I am still experimenting with different brands, but many people like Luvs. Just another one you might want to try!

MinnieMouse
03-20-2003, 02:47 PM
Never tried Luvs..refuse to allow the purple thing in our house :-).

Christine

egoldber
03-20-2003, 03:01 PM
Luvs are virtually identical to Pampers BabyDry (made by the same company P&G) and tend to be significantly cheaper than Pampers.

HTH,

shibababy
03-21-2003, 02:25 AM
Here's a tip-sign up at the Huggies website and the pampers website. They will send out samples of their diapers, you can always fudge the expected date so as to have them on hand when your baby is born. I fostered a newborn and continue to get samples of baby products and coupons in the mail.

Also, in my area, AZ, the toys r us has a supply of diapers in the restroom totally free and in all sizes (I really don't like toys r us brand), but hey they are free for anyone wanting to try them out.

My foster baby weighed 8oz when born and I only used 1 pack of the newborn diapers-Wal-mart brand (NO PROBLEMS!), then I moved up to the size 1. Here's what I recorded:

Newborn-1pack
size 1-5 packs
size 2- at least 6 packs, lost track
size 3-wore this size from approximately 6mths-currently 9mths (I recently had an 18mth foster daughter who still wore size 3)

Also, check with the hospital where you will deliver and the doctor's office, they may also have samples (or at maybe coupons), sometimes second hand stores or Goodwill/thrift stores will have some diapers that are out of the pack. One place I know charges 3/$1.00 for the newborn size diaper. (you don't have to be concerned about getting the kind with the umbilical cord cut out, just fold down the front of whatever diaper you use.

I hope this helps.

gatorgal99
03-24-2003, 10:41 PM
This is a great discussion! My little girl is due in June and I'm in the process of registering at BRU. I was going to register for Size 1 & 2 for Huggies, Pampers, & BRU brand. So for the expert moms out there, does this seem like a good idea?

I figured if i found a brand I liked, then BRU should let me exchange the others I don't use, for the brand I like, with minimal cost increase if necessary.

Anyone have experience registering for diapers and then exchanging them later?

millerpjm
03-26-2003, 09:36 AM
Hi...

I have a seven week old son (my first) and I had exactly the same question. I had been advised not to buy too many packages of newborn diapers since the babies outgrow them quickly. I had one package of Pampers newborn swaddlers on hand when I brought my 6 pound 8 oz. baby home from the hospital. The hospital had been using size 1 diapers which were huge on him. So, out to the store we went.

To make a long story short.. I would buy 2-3 packages of newborn diapers to have at home. Leave them unopened-it will be easier to return an unopened package at your leisure than to make an emergency run because you are out of diapers that fit.

My observations on diaper brands:
Pampers seemed to be larger than Huggies, and for us, the Huggies leaked more. I was changing his outfit 3 times a day because he was wet. Luvs are almost identical to Pampers baby dry and are definitely cheaper. You will want to try different kinds to see what works though. I really like Luvs (even though they have the dreaded purple dinosaur on them:) and Pampers but my sister-in-law said they did not like Luvs.

Hope this helps!

Jen

lisajo
03-27-2003, 02:40 PM
My baby is due in May, and I have been trying to figure out this stock up strategy too. So far I have bought 1 pk of Pampers Swaddlers Newborn (40 count) and 1 big box of Pampers Baby Dry (136 count box). If the baby outgrows the size 1 quickly, I won't be able to return any because I will have opened the box. I think it was a good deal, so I'd rather not exchange the size 1 for smaller packages (16.97 for 136 size 1 Pampers Baby Dry).
Do you think that 136 of size 1 are too many to have on hand?
I was thinking that I would move on to stocking up size 2 now.
What do you think?

gatorgal99
03-27-2003, 07:49 PM
lisajo,

I saw that big box of Pampers as well. Did you get it at BRU? I thought it might have included size 2 as well. It is a great deal though & hard not to pass up!

TRU & BRU have had some great coupons for diapers these past couple months, which just makes it hard not to buy any. I guess us moms just have to see what works for our babies! Seems like every baby is different.

amy

Momof3Labs
03-27-2003, 07:53 PM
TRU & BRU have diaper coupons all the time, so don't feel like you are missing the deal of a lifetime! It will roll around again. I've actually found better prices at Wal-Mart, even with the BRU coupons.

gatorgal99
03-27-2003, 08:05 PM
That's good to know. I was actually going to check out Costco this weekend to see how their diaper prices were compared to BRU & Target.

lisajo
03-27-2003, 11:30 PM
I actually got the 136 count box at Wal-Mart. The label on the box (looks like a shipping label but has Wal-Mart info and price) said 19.97 but it scanned 16.97, so I know it was a good deal. They are all size 1 diapers though. I did see some cases at Babies R Us that have size both 1 & 2 in the box, but the box from Wal-Mart doesn't.