PDA

View Full Version : When did you switch to size 1?

etwahl
03-25-2003, 01:21 PM
Lauren will be 2 weeks tomorrow and I can't see switching her to size one anytime soon. But I'm wondering how many newborn diapers I should stock up on? I am using the newborn Pampers Swaddlers. Any suggestions? Also, since her belly button hasn't fallen off yet, these are great with the hole cut out. I tried the size one, just to see how big, and they were halfway up her belly and back. They seemed HUGE.

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

August Mom
03-25-2003, 01:32 PM
Unfortunately, this is one of those things that entirely depends on the baby's shape and size. Everyone will probably have a different story. DS started getting too big for the Newborn Swaddlers between 6 and 7 weeks (although the Size 1 were still a little large). However, he only gained about 1 pound per month and his waist was very thin. I think that we used 4 or 5 packages of newborn diapers (although my memory of that stage is already fading). I would only buy 1 or 2 more packages of newborn size. If you do stock up, save your receipt. You can always return unopened packages of diapers. And, even if you don't have a receipt, BRU is exceptionally good about letting you return diapers.

LucyG
03-25-2003, 01:39 PM
My dd will be 5 weeks old tomorrow, and the size 1's are big on her, too. I bought two more packages of newborn diapers yesterday (Target's Loving Touch), but kept the receipt in case we only use one of them. Huggies newborns were getting a little small on her, so it seems to vary from brand to brand and baby to baby.

Momof3Labs
03-25-2003, 02:06 PM
Colin was 8lbs 4oz and 22" at birth, and the newborn size diapers NEVER fit him. We used Pampers size 1 from the beginning and didn't have any problems with them!

egoldber
03-25-2003, 02:36 PM
Sarah was in Pampers Newborn for 2 months. (She was 7 lbs 5 oz at birth, very similar to Lauren.) We switched to size 1 and she was in them for about 2 weeks before she started having blow-outs and we moved up to size 2.

HTH,

etwahl
03-25-2003, 02:55 PM
Thanks everyone. I've already gone through almost 3 packages of the 60 jumbo packs, and that doesn't include what I used in the hospital. Huggies are most definitely WAY too small. I think I'll stock up on a bunch more, and as you said, I can always return them for a bigger size later if I need to. Much easier than rushing to the store at the last minute when I run out!

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

newbelly2002
03-25-2003, 03:22 PM
Oh crud!! You just reminded me that we are officially very low on diapers (like 2-3 left) and the stores are already closed. Darn German hours (10-7).

Sorry, completely off (sort of) topic.

As to the size, Dante was in the Pampers newborns for about the first 2 months. But he was also small (6 lb 4 z).

Crud, crud, crud.

Paula

JMarie
03-25-2003, 05:57 PM
Aidan has been in size 1 since 4 weeks old, but I think he has a very long torso. He was getting serious plumber butt with the newborn size so we went up a size. At first they were huge on him but still better than the newborns, but he's starting to fill them out. He's also just starting to fit into the 3-6 month onesies, at least lengthwise. The sleeves (we have some L/S ones) are still WAY too long... Don't clothes ever fit JUST right?!?!

JMarie
Mom to Aidan Christopher 01/28/03

mama2be
03-25-2003, 10:31 PM
Tristan did fine with NB Pampers and Target's brand for about 10 days and then started getting wet in the back. We went to Walmart at about the 15th day and got their brand SIZE 1 (Steve claims the box said 0-14lbs so he claims they are NB BUT the box does say "1") they have been excellent and we have had NO PROBLEMS...So I guess about 2 1/2 weeks we switched him to NB. Tristan's weight is said to be in the 90-95% but he is a thinner/long baby...he doesn't have any rolls in the legs etc... just chubby face cheeks :)...

jd11365
03-25-2003, 10:32 PM
Gee, I didn't realize she could be in newborn dipers for so long. This is what I have stocked up so far...let me know what you all think...what should I be getting more or less of or should I stop stocking up? This preparation is almost addictive...I feel like once I stop working in May I'm going to wish I bought more diapers when I had the funds. My husband seems to think we are going to have to rent a storage shed if I keep it up! lol! ;-) Do I have enough? How many do you use each week at each size?

Newborn
40 Pampers Swaddlers
40 Huggies Ultratrim

Size 1
56 Huggies Ultratrim
104 Pampers Baby Dry

Size 1/2
228 Huggies Ultratrim

Size 2
72 Huggies Ultratrim
104 Pampers Baby Dry
34 Publix-Brand (grocery store...came free with baby club)

Size 3
160 Huggies Ultratrim
96 Huggies Ultratrim

Jamie
EDD 5/9/03

Momof3Labs
03-25-2003, 11:11 PM
Personally, I would slow down on your stocking up, unless you can return any or all of the dipes. I found that Huggies didn't work on my baby until he was into size 3 (we used Pampers in sizes 1 and 2), then Huggies worked the best. So I returned all of the Huggies that I bought before he was born - and it was kind of a big headache. In particular, 288 of size 1/2 (on top of 160 size 1) sounds like an awful lot - it may not be, but it may be, and you wouldn't want to open a huge box and have your baby outgrow them a week later!

abigailsmom
03-26-2003, 03:49 AM
Unfortunately we switch while travelling b/c we began having blow outs and it took a couple of SERIOUSLY poopy blowouts and good natured relatives before I figured it out;)! One of those things I wish someone would have warned me, my pillow, and my blue jeans about.

BTW A very late Congrats to you and your dh! You're in my prayers along with all of the other lives touched by the military!!

Rachels
03-26-2003, 08:48 AM
Abigail was also in the newborn size for two months or so, then in the size 1's for about five minutes. I tend to switch sizes when the diaper starts leaking, because it has yet to ever actually look too small. And the next size up always looks ENORMOUS at first.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

danielleh
03-26-2003, 09:21 AM
Hi,

The huggies ultratrim 1/2 are exactly the same as the ultratrim 1's, so you don't really need both.

HTH,
Danielle
mom to Jimmy born 8/29/02

Rachels
03-26-2003, 10:40 AM
Yowza. I would slow down. You won't know which kind of diapers work for your baby until he or she is here, and it may change over time. :)

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

nigele
03-26-2003, 10:58 AM
I don't have time to read all the replies so I am sorry if I repeat what anyone has said already. Thomas outgrew the newborns suddenly and I had to switch to size 1. I don't remember how old he was. I had only one pack of newborn diapers and they started to leak really bad one night. I thought it was a defective pack of diapers so I called Pampers and they said he had probably outgrown the absorbancy of the diaper even though he still fit in the size-wise. Pampers sent me a coupon for a free pack since I had only just opened the newborn pack and they would be going to waste. Unopened packs can be exchanged at the store. HTH!

brubeck
03-26-2003, 02:25 PM
This is the time to raid what's left in the diaper bag!

Also, in a pinch you can use a feminine sanitary napkin (don't use the adhesive) to hold in some pee. This helps the diaper last longer.

Jodi
03-27-2003, 03:16 PM
Believe it or not, Ella wore newborn diapers until she was 3 months old and now, at 5 1/2 month, she's still in size 1--but she's a skinny little munchkin. That being said, my friend's son is the exact same age as Ella (to the day!) and he's in size 4(!)--yes, you read that right.

We've actually have very good luck with Luvs, Pampers are always too wide for her and she seems to be allergic to something in Huggies Supreme--we've tried them twice and it resulted in an awful diaper rash. As much as I hate the dreaded purple dinosaur, it's nice to save so much money on quality diapers.

Good luck,
Jodi
Ella's Mommy 10/7/02