PDA

View Full Version : How do I know "when" to change the diaper...

etwahl
03-19-2003, 01:05 PM
Yesterday was an interesting day of diaper changes. One time I got "projectile" pooped on. I lifted up her legs to clean her bottom and it literally SHOT out at me. I'm actually lucky it didn't go further than the changing table, but I am surprised it didn't hit the wall. Then, she peed on me!

The last few diaper changes, as soon as I have her cleaned up and the new diaper under her, she pees! So I end up using two diapers instead of one.

Also, I'm trying to figure out how to know WHEN to diaper her so that I'm not diapering all day long (being such a newbie, it still takes me such a long time with those squirmy legs and sometimes crying sweetheart). For example, do I change her mostly "after" feedings? And if so, how long do I wait to be somewhat sure she's finished? Do I change her before feedings (say if she just woke up) and then after as well?

I just have no clue!

Also, when it comes to diaper rash, I noticed she had a little "ring of fire" around her bottom, so I used the weleda which seems to work. Her other area looks a little red, but not sure if that's just the way it is. Should I also be putting a little there? Plus, there are the little red marks where the diaper was (around her legs) but I think that's just the mark of the diaper and not an actual diaper rash.

How does a person get the hang of all this?

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

nohomama
03-19-2003, 01:55 PM
Tammy,

You WILL get the hang of this. Believe me, before you know it, you'll be a pro.

When Lola was a newborn, I changed her when she pooped and didn't worry about the pee. If she peed while being changed (fresh air on their bits and bums does seem to have a "stimulating" affect) I put a fresh diaper on her rather than the wet one. Going through multiple diapers is just life with a newborn.

Lola pooped frequently, as Lauren probably will once her system gets cranking, and diaper changes took place at least a dozen times a day (we primarily use/d cloth). If she was poopy before a feeding, she got changed. If she pooped during that feeding, as was often the case, she got changed again.

Since Lauren isn't a prolific pooper yet, try laying a kleenex or paper towel in her diaper. That will make it easier to tell if the disposable is wet. Those things are so absorbent I often have trouble telling if one is wet. And that's with the very active bladder of an 18 month old.

When Lola's red, I smear her all over with cream, bum AND bits. It acts as a barrier to prevent more rash and also treats any minor, less obvious rash that might already be there.

HTH,

Momof3Labs
03-19-2003, 02:25 PM
Every 2-3 hours was my guide, although if Colin pooped I changed him anyways. But I never woke him up to change him - unless he had pooped (and usually HE woke up if he pooped while sleeping). We started out changing him before a feeding, but he was usually screaming bloody murder by then. It worked better for us to change him after a feeding; some babies do better if you change them at the same time that you switch breasts (if you feed both sides).

If her little bottom or "bits" are pink or red, then definitely put some cream on her. And the red marks on her legs are not diaper rash, but might be a sign that the diaper is too small or too tight.

The pooping and peeing with the diaper off is normal - absolutely nothing you can do to avoid it because they are never done. You just start over again with a clean diaper.

How do you get the hang of it? TONS of practice. Babies go through SO many diapers each day that you get the hang of it pretty quickly. While Colin screamed a lot during changes initially, by about a month old he LOVED to be changed. Now, he is just a hoot - smiling and laughing as we sing to him, blow raspberries on his tummy and feet, make funny noises, tickle him, and so on. He loves to be changed, and we love to change him!

PS Regarding the redness on her bottom - what kind of wipes are you using? Maybe try just damp washcloths for a week or so and see if it improves, she might be sensitive to something in the wipes. Also, make sure that you rinse that area very well after using any kind of soap or bath wash on her!

egoldber
03-19-2003, 02:31 PM
This was our strategy as well. :) Since Sarah was pooping 10-12 times a day, I only bothered to change when she pooped. And when she is red, I smear everything that is red with Aquaphor.

In a few weeks, the poops will slow down a bit. After that I usually changed her every 2-3 hours when using disposables (or when she pooped).

HTH,

sweetbasil
03-19-2003, 04:25 PM
Tammy,
You're doing SO great! I remember (unfortunately) the days of 15 diaper changes in a 24-hr. period, and don't miss them a bit. Guess I'd better get my expectations ready again, huh? Really, though, it seems like the older they get, they just pack stinkier poop into fewer diapers...know what I mean? Projectile poop/potty is never fun- at least with a boy, you know when the potty is about to happen! :) Take care of yourself...we're praying for you three!

Hugs,

August Mom
03-19-2003, 04:57 PM
Tammy,

Isn't new motherhood fun? :) These are the things they never tell you in the books -- projectile poop, pee on the wall, etc. As far as when to change the diaper, it somewhat depends on Lauren. In those newborn days, I always changed DS after a feeding rather than before because he almost always pooped while BFing. If Lauren's the same way, then I would save some diapers and change her after a feeding, even if the diaper is wet before a feeding. Also, you might notice more of a pattern with her poop. She may eat and then poop 15 minutes later or whatever. If that's the case, adjust accordingly and wait 15 minutes to 30 minutes after a feeding to make sure she's done. We also had/have a nighttime diaper changing rule that worked well for us as far as getting more sleep: we don't change DS during the night unless we know he pooped, even if he's feeding during the night. For DS, the diaper change totally woke him up and then we had to work hard to get him to go back to sleep (this may have been after a few weeks, but we came up with this rule pretty early on). However, if I just fed him and put him back in the crib he easily went back to sleep.

Rachels
03-19-2003, 05:07 PM
You'll get the hang of it! You're doing great. One thing to keep an eye on is that ring of fire you mentioned. Often a red ring around a baby's anus indicates a food allergy. She's clearly fine, so don't worry, but just kind of observe over time whether there seems to be any correlation between your diet and that kind of rash.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

LucyG
03-20-2003, 01:15 PM
Tammy,

We were/are having the same problem with peeing on a new diaper, or on the changing pad when the diaper comes off. My mom pointed out that when you lift the baby's legs to wipe her, you are compressing the bladder area. So, now I lift her legs and gently hold them up and back for 10 seconds or so BEFORE taking the old diaper off. That gives her a chance to do a final tinkle before the diaper comes off. It isn't foolproof, but seems to have cut down on the renegade peeing! Also, if she just pees a little on the new diaper, I put it on her anyway. Disposables wick away the moisture so well that you can't even tell it's slightly wet. I hope that helps!

Melanie
03-21-2003, 02:59 AM
I fully expected to be peed on often with a boy. So I'd keep one of those gerber prefolds on had and lay it over him for all diaper changes. In those early months it was often-used. ;)

If I remember correctly I changed with every poop. And he'd usually poop when he woke, when he ate, when he was done eating... To be honest we were trying to figure out when to change and ended up changing lots of 'dry' diapers in those early weeks.

I think I remember that you were going to use cloth, right? Have you started already? If so, you can probably tell when she's wet, right? You could always just stick a finger in the leg to find out.

Mommy to Jonah